• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #38 (VOLUME 2) CGC question

16 posts in this topic

Question.. How much does everyone think fair market value is for:

Amazing Spider-man #38 (VOLUME 2) CGC Signature Series 9.6 signed by JM Straczynsk

#38 vol 2 is the issue where Aunt May confronts Peter about being Spider-man

Let's put aside the CGC controversy for a minute.

Thanks!!

What controversy is there around Signature Series'd modern books?

Costs involved in getting that book done were in the $25-30 dollar range (getting the book, CGC grading fees) plus the work in getting the signature.

Since we are talking about JMS here there isn't a lot of opportunity or access to him.

Do you feel that the book is worth the costs involved in getting it, getting it signed and then the grading fee costs? I would base my fmv decision around the costs involved, then extrapolate based on the rarity of the creator and the condition and content of the comic itself.

What controversy is there around Signature Series'd modern books?

Costs involved in getting that book done were in the $25-30 dollar range (getting the book, CGC grading fees) plus the work in getting the signature.

Since we are talking about JMS here there isn't a lot of opportunity or access to him.

Do you feel that the book is worth the costs involved in getting it, getting it signed and then the grading fee costs? I would base my fmv decision around the costs involved, then extrapolate based on the rarity of the creator and the condition and content of the comic itself.

Condition and content will keep it down. 1) It's a 9.6 rather than a 9.8, so the FMV isn't going to be much more than raw. 2) I wouldn't really call it a key issue, so what is the raw FMV? $4.00?

Condition and content will keep it down. 1) It's a 9.6 rather than a 9.8, so the FMV isn't going to be much more than raw. 2) I wouldn't really call it a key issue, so what is the raw FMV? $4.00?

27_laughing.gif

Please contact me if you ever want to sell ANY CGC Signature Series 9.6 book for the raw book value of say, $4.

Nah, it's ALWAYS what the market will bear, assuming you're speaking an open auction. I'd bid far more for a Stan Lee signature than one from some long-forgotten, reclusive creator, although the latter might be much more difficult and expensive to get.

Nah, it's ALWAYS what the market will bear, assuming you're speaking an open auction. I'd bid far more for a Stan Lee signature than one from some long-forgotten, reclusive creator, although the latter might be much more difficult and expensive to get.

Certainly demand and availability, combined with buyer interest and any buyer competition will define whether or not the book will sell for more than the standard "low" price for the product.

Right now the standard low price for any Signature Series book sold on open auction is significantly higher than $4.

It's signed in silver ink on the cover, looks pretty nice. What's the opinion, do you all think ASM # 38 Vol 2 is a key issue? It's the conversation after all. Since 1963 when ASM was created this has not happened.

Also, is the general conseus that JMS is a hard signature to acquire? I'm asking beacuse I purchased the 9.6 CGC SS for $41. I have several copies of the book (unslabbed), wich I have read a few times. I thought it would be great to have it slabbed, signed and in 9.6 condition. Thoughts???

27_laughing.gif

Please contact me if you ever want to sell ANY CGC Signature Series 9.6 book for the raw book value of say, $4.

I will never buy or submit a Sig Series book. I am not a fan of them. If I'm going to have a book signed, I'll keep them in mylars.

If it's signed on the cover in black ink then it's not worth much. grin.gif

I may be wrong, but I believe you're thinking of issue 36, not issue 38. But then again, I don't know what 38 looks like. But 36 is the all black cover.

What's the opinion, do you all think ASM # 38 Vol 2 is a key issue?

Yeah, it's right up there with The Death of Aunt May and The Return of the Burglar. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif exactly. About as "key" as the first appearance of Kilgore in The Flash.

36 vol 2 is the WTC issue. #38 is when Aunt May confronts Peter about being Spider-man.

Do you think a signature enhances or detracts from the value of a comic, if all other things are equal (condition, etc...)

I have some signed books from conventions, but they are really just for my personal enjoyment. I don't consider them to be anymore valuable than a non-signed copy of the same book. If anything, some people see sigs as a defect, like if a child drew on a comic with a marker or pen. When I have a book signed, its only purpose to me is to show that I met the signee and got his autograph.

If it's signed on the cover in black ink then it's not worth much. grin.gif

I may be wrong, but I believe you're thinking of issue 36, not issue 38. But then again, I don't know what 38 looks like. But 36 is the all black cover.

foreheadslap.gifhail.gif