• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any luck with restoration removal and then a press and re-grade???
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I collected as a young teen(early 90s) and I held onto a few boxes of books that I had acquired through trades and purchases. About a year ago while downsizing, I finally dedided to have a few books graded. It was my 1st time and I didn't know much about it.

It turms out, the Hulk 181 copy  that I had came back as a 4.5 "Restored" grade. C-1 restoration .. "small amount of color touch on cover". I then looked at a bunch of grading videos on YouTube (yea, I know.. I should have done that BEFORE I sent it in) and then I ended up getting a UV light and was able to see the 2 tiny spots of red/orange marker that covered 2 color-breaking stress lines. Also in teh grader notes, they mentioned moderate bends.

My question is this: has anyone had a similar situation and then had a "restoration removal" done? With the screening, restorstion removal, pressing and re-grading, it looks to be around $400 bucks.. not sure if it's worth it. I figured that the restoration removal may drop it a half point, but hoping that the pressing may add that half point back? I don't know how that would work exactly. But even if it were to drop to 4.0 with th erestoration removed, would that be more desireable than a 4.5 restored?

Any ideas?.. THANKS!

On 7/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Paul Gonsalves said:

I collected as a young teen(early 90s) and I held onto a few boxes of books that I had acquired through trades and purchases. About a year ago while downsizing, I finally dedided to have a few books graded. It was my 1st time and I didn't know much about it.

It turms out, the Hulk 181 copy  that I had came back as a 4.5 "Restored" grade. C-1 restoration .. "small amount of color touch on cover". I then looked at a bunch of grading videos on YouTube (yea, I know.. I should have done that BEFORE I sent it in) and then I ended up getting a UV light and was able to see the 2 tiny spots of red/orange marker that covered 2 color-breaking stress lines. Also in teh grader notes, they mentioned moderate bends.

My question is this: has anyone had a similar situation and then had a "restoration removal" done? With the screening, restorstion removal, pressing and re-grading, it looks to be around $400 bucks.. not sure if it's worth it. I figured that the restoration removal may drop it a half point, but hoping that the pressing may add that half point back? I don't know how that would work exactly. But even if it were to drop to 4.0 with th erestoration removed, would that be more desireable than a 4.5 restored?

Any ideas?.. THANKS!

Based upon what you have said here, it almost certainly would increase the value significantly. Scraping off the CT will not do much to hurt the grade of a 4.0-4.5, and the press may be enough to kick it up. Finally the difference between Purple and Blue label is HUGE.

I had a similar situation with my Hulk 181. C-1 Small amount of color touch on cover 6.5 was the grade I got back when I sent it in years ago. Not sure there the color touch was or how it happened, bought probably close to 40 years ago at the SD Comic Con. 

Last year when things began to skyrocket, I sent it in to CGC for color removal, pressing and regrading. It came back same score (6.5) but a much more valuable Universal Blue Label.