• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC Submission Fee Adjustment"?
3 3

123 posts in this topic

You're overthinking things.  As a submitter, you provide a rough estimate of fair market value, and that estimate is used for grading tier selection and insurance coverage.  And in my experience, books get moved all the time after being graded from a tier in which they were submitted to a higher tier owing to exceeding a tier's maximum value.  So if you don't want to overpay for the grading service, be conservative assigning estimated grades, restoration status and values, and let CGC do the job of bumping something up in tier if it merits it after they've decided on a final grade.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/27/2021 at 1:34 AM, lou_fine said:

This is EXACTLY why this entire submission process that CGC has in place doesn't make any sense at all.  :screwy:

Now, if I understand this correctly, the tier that we submit the books under is based upon the value of the book.  Of course, as we all know, the value of any book is based upon both the grade of the book and whether it is Universal or restored.  But isn't this the exact reason why we are sending the books into CGC in the first place in terms of getting them graded and also for the restoration check.  :ohnoez:

So, is CGC saying that we are supposed to be able to know in advance if the book is going to be a CGC 9.8 graded copy or whether it's going to be a CGC 9.6 graded copy or dare we say even lower.  Then, on top of that, we are also supposed to know in advance if the book has been restored or not in order to come up with an estimated value to place it in the correct tier for pricing.  Especially when there's a big huge difference in the valuation of a book if it's a CGC 9.8 graded copy as opposed to a CGC 9.4 copy, and the same for a restored book versus an unrestored copy of the same book. :facepalm:  

Oh heck, if CGC wants the submittor to grade and conduct a restoration check on the book prior to submitting it, shouldn't they be paying us for the preliminary advanced work that we are doing for them.  :devil:

No.  CGC asks you to guess the value based on your best estimation, and then has you SIGN A CONTRACT agreeing to adjusting the price if the tier changes based on the outcome of the assessment you paid for.  

On 7/27/2021 at 11:06 AM, buttock said:

No.  CGC asks you to guess the value based on your best estimation, and then has you SIGN A CONTRACT agreeing to adjusting the price if the tier changes based on the outcome of the assessment you paid for.  

This is the reality. I learned a lot about this specific "issue" / part of the process now that it has happened to me. I do stand by the statements that this has been sporadically enforced at least up to this point according to many who have posted in the thread. It will be interesting to see if it will be applied universally with the new management taking over, or if my situation was an outlier when the FMV difference was not as drastic as many others who have gone through without a tier bump.