• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 2nd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 4 RESULTS! and GIF/Meme Afterparty
6 6

129 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, grendelbo said:

Great selection this contest. 

And largely out of my hobby-focus. 

Later tonight I'm making notes. (And I have a notebook on grading with other resources.)

Rat chew on an otherwise great book - moderate: -2.0 deduction +/-.

As I said in the Round 4 post, I had that Romance around 7.5/8.0 absent the chews. How low could it go? Not to VG. It's not a VG copy. 4 grade drop seemed fair as did the FN range.

Fun + Education (x Refinement of skills) = This Contest.

I went the opposite way. Instead of saying which grade it would be before rat chews, I just thought of what the highest grade would be where chews like that are allowed. And while it's a rat chew it is also a piece of the comic missing and it's at the spine so it's pieces from multiple pages. Never saw a 6.0 with such a deffect so it couldn't be that, but it was still a  great looking book. So the highest thing that's not a 6.0 is 5.5, hence my guess.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, William-James88 said:

I took scans of my CGC subs before sending them in. I could use those results as fodder for next year's contest if you want @Point Five. There's a nice mix of GA, SA and Modern.

Cool! Sure, if you want to team up on one of these contests (and can keep the grades a secret when your slabs roll in) we can talk it over. The tricky part is that the books take so long to come back from CGC that my window to manage this may close, as it ebbs and flows with various work and family issues. I can't promise the timing will work for me, but happy to discuss in the future at the very least. (thumbsu

On 7/21/2021 at 12:50 PM, Point Five said:

Cool! Sure, if you want to team up on one of these contests (and can keep the grades a secret when your slabs roll in) we can talk it over. The tricky part is that the books take so long to come back from CGC that my window to manage this may close, as it ebbs and flows with various work and family issues. I can't promise the timing will work for me, but happy to discuss in the future at the very least. (thumbsu

That sounds good. I'll let you know when the books come. Should be within this year, so we'll have time. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, William-James88 said:

I went the opposite way. Instead of saying which grade it would be before rat chews, I just thought of what the highest grade would be where chews like that are allowed. And while it's a rat chew it is also a piece of the comic missing and it's at the spine so it's pieces from multiple pages. Never saw a 6.0 with such a deffect so it couldn't be that, but it was still a  great looking book. So the highest thing that's not a 6.0 is 5.5, hence my guess.

Years and years ago I used that thinking all the time when I guessed CGC grades in these contests... 'oh, if it has XYZ defect, it can't get into 6.0' (or 8.0, or 4.0 or what have you). I mean, this is maybe one example where it does work! But with CGC's grading there seemed to be *so* many exceptions to those 'rules' that I pretty much abandoned that train of thought.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, Point Five said:

Years and years ago I used that thinking all the time when I guessed CGC grades in these contests... 'oh, if it has XYZ defect, it can't get into 6.0' (or 8.0, or 4.0 or what have you). I mean, this is maybe one example where it does work! But with CGC's grading there seemed to be *so* many exceptions to those 'rules' that I pretty much abandoned that train of thought.

I feel that about the detached covers for sure. They seem to compensate. Like that GA pedigree Captain America book that someone had posted a while back. I had to do a spit take.

But for soiling, water stains and chew, certain grades seem truly unachievable (for the most part, I am sure there are rare exceptions). I guess those fit into a ugly defect category at CGC. Like the obvious defects once slabbed get hit harder. Same reason an unwitnessed signature on the inner cover won't get a green label but one on a cover will. It's the same defect but one is visible while the other isn't. 

On 7/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, vheflin said:

:news:

Blackstone buys the grading contest

Gal Gadot top investor

Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Blackstone blacklists all the participants in the contest from ever being hired to grade books in an attempt to protect their intellectual property

Gal Gadot on top

Edited by Funnybooks

On 7/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Funnybooks said:

Blackstone blacklists all the participants in the contest from ever being hired to grade books in an attempt to protect their intellectual property

1606905958_tenor(16).gif.33f4f3ebedbe8d08a6d693fc58fff5c0.gif

6be0c6085b0ced11d94c279e6496b399_w200.gif.b6257477871a0d90f71b02602678e7a0.gif

Edited by grendelbo