• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 2nd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 4 RESULTS! and GIF/Meme Afterparty
6 6

129 posts in this topic

It's been fun. This evening especially as I've explained this contest to my 9 year old son who's visiting me. He thinks this whole thing is pretty cool. Maybe I can turn him yet to comics, away from snakes and Fortnite and Minecraft and Pokemon cards.

This is a competition requiring two different skills: grading comics (obviously) but also guessing the mood of the CGC grader on the day.

For example, with its additional defects like staining and chips out of the bottom corner and edge, how does Book B get the same grade as Book A:

image.thumb.png.2cf931d54d8dd90206df740353555fd4.png

On 7/20/2021 at 11:43 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

This is a competition requiring two different skills: grading comics (obviously) but also guessing the mood of the CGC grader on the day.

For example, with its additional defects like staining and chips out of the bottom corner and edge, how does Book B get the same grade as Book A:

I don't know. I was off with both of these copies by 0.5. I go with a initial impression of grade range then fine tune based on defects. But I factor in 2 things highly - significant flaws and overall presentability. Presentability is big with me.

I'm not arguing either's grade. They're VG copies. The nuances (+/- 0.5-maybe 1.0) are opinions, perspectives, moods, etc. Today's 4.5 will be 5.0 or 4.0 the next day. We have to live with that.

I figure if you grade within +/- 0.5 or even +/- 1.0 you got that "feel" and can make informed decisions on whatever transactions you're interested in.

IMO ☮️

Edited by grendelbo

On 7/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, grendelbo said:

The nuances (+/- 0.5-maybe 1.0) are opinions, perspectives, moods, etc. Today's 4.5 will be 5.0 or 4.0 the next day. We have to live with that.

Yes, and that's what I meant.

Edited by Albert Thurgood

On 7/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, grendelbo said:

Great selection this contest. 

And largely out of my hobby-focus. 

Later tonight I'm making notes. (And I have a notebook on grading with other resources.)

Rat chew on an otherwise great book - moderate: -2.0 deduction +/-.

As I said in the Round 4 post, I had that Romance around 7.5/8.0 absent the chews. How low could it go? Not to VG. It's not a VG copy. 4 grade drop seemed fair as did the FN range.

Fun + Education (x Refinement of skills) = This Contest.

I had that one at 8.5/9.0 and deducted a full 3.0 for the chew.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:43 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

I mean, I can only guess like the rest of you. But with the two slabs in hand and really scrutinizing, I would note that copy A has a bit more color-breaking wear in the image area, and some back cover defects like crimping and slight fanning. Copy B has slightly crisper structure at the top front and on the back cover. 

Again, just throwing out scenarios here, but maybe copy A couldn't quite make 5.0 in their eyes, whereas copy B was 4.0ish but got a bump to 4.5 based on eye appeal (which was pretty much the original rationale for VG+, if you remember Overstreet grading). Remember too, some fairly rough books are deemed 4.0, like books with a full sub crease. Looked at on its own merits and not 'compared', copy B is quite nice.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:33 AM, grendelbo said:

Screenshot_20210720-223232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5ef0b8ee7fa57f7aacfd06cb68467be6.jpg

I remember passing on this exact book at a con ages ago (Basement Comix' table), and really regretting it. Went back to look and it was gone.