• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE #9 What a great deal if I had 12k sitting around

112 posts in this topic

It is an amazing book. I have never even seen a Showcase #9, let alone a high grade copy. Even so, I suspect not many collectors have it first on their "what I would like to spend $12,000 plus for one book" list. I notice that although the opening (and possibly final) bid is set at $12000 this book already has a $15000 bid on Comiclink.

It is an amazing book. I have never even seen a Showcase #9, let alone a high grade copy. Even so, I suspect not many collectors have it first on their "what I would like to spend $12,000 plus for one book" list. I notice that although the opening (and possibly final) bid is set at $12000 this book already has a $15000 bid on Comiclink.

thought I had seen it before!

Almost looks better than 9.2. One of CGC's secret inner circle members should pick it off and resub for their guaranteed 9.4. Looks like a steal at 12k.

"Almost"? That thing looks better than some SA 9.6s I've seen.

Some people think Showcase 4 is the most overvalued SA book, but personally I'd go for this one. I'd think it's collectability nowadays is about zero, notwithstanding the fact that I paid silly money for a Good graded copy last year.

It may be Showcase and it may be scarce, but really, who case about Lois Lane? I only got the thing to complete my run (non-Archived issues from 1 to 63) and I resented the analness of my decision.

If someone else is dying for it, then as you say, for $12k they're getting a nice copy, but really, think what else you could buy for that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can someone explain this one to me? The seller is willing to let it go for $12k on e-bay (which is reduced even further by e-bay and paypal fees to probably around $11k), but won't accept a $15k offer which results in a $13,500 sale on CL? Am I the only one who doesn't see the logic in this one? foreheadslap.gif

BTW, anyone know this seller?

Nice book but $12,000 for a book I can't even call a key (Lois Lane sleeping.gif) seems outrageous. If he indeed received a legit bid of $13,500 on CL (I highly doubt it) he should have took it and ran. I always try and compare books for like value and when you can purchase an FF#2 or #4 in the same grade for about the same amount of cash this Showcase book is probably not going to be a good investment.

Can someone explain this one to me? The seller is willing to let it go for $12k on e-bay (which is reduced even further by e-bay and paypal fees to probably around $11k), but won't accept a $15k offer which results in a $13,500 sale on CL? Am I the only one who doesn't see the logic in this one? foreheadslap.gif

BTW, anyone know this seller?

I imagine that 13.5 offer is long gone. Remember Comiclink leaves the highest bids up there (even if n ot accepted) so that any subsequent bidders have to top them. Doesnt exactly work out sometimes, since as in this case, teh ONE good offer is gone and never to be repeated.

Almost looks better than 9.2. One of CGC's secret inner circle members should pick it off and resub for their guaranteed 9.4. Looks like a steal at 12k.

Trim that bottom edge and you've gotta 9.4 for sure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

a mickey mantle fan may think it's worth $12k.
sign-funnypost.gif

oh wait - i lived and breathed Mickey Mantle during the Summer of '56 and nothing

could get me to part with that kind of cash for that book. LL and Jimmy Olson were two of the DC titles even I couldn't cope with............ insane.gif

Some people think Showcase 4 is the most overvalued SA book, but personally I'd go for this one. I'd think it's collectability nowadays is about zero, notwithstanding the fact that I paid silly money for a Good graded copy last year.

It may be Showcase and it may be scarce, but really, who case about Lois Lane? I only got the thing to complete my run (non-Archived issues from 1 to 63) and I resented the analness of my decision.

If someone else is dying for it, then as you say, for $12k they're getting a nice copy, but really, think what else you could buy for that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keep trashing LL, then I can complete my run for less. I starting collecting it for my daughter, although I have to admit I enjoy most of the covers as they imply something about our culture at the time, and I always have to wonder if the artists/writers were simply trying to outdo each other in generating the most ridiculous covers ever (there's an ongoing thread about this). I have to believe many of these issues were just total comedic goofs. IMO they're worth it (if cheap) to satisfy my curiosity. Like you, I am going to be bothered paying for those earlier appearances; will focus on low grade with eye appeal for sure.

gee, guys. I was thinking of picking it up, but youve convinced me. Maybe at 5K, or something with a little upside to use in light of its increasingly marginalized status even to HG DC collectors! sheesh. This was the first Showcase tryout character to get her own book wasnt it? I mean wasnt it? Does it get any more important than that??

The book is very pretty, but there are at least 15 of the first 2 dozen issues that I'd rather have a HG copy of.

What it does have going for it is that it may well resub higher. I'm not sure whether the extra 0.2 would make much difference to the marketplace though.

I count only 11 I'd rather have:

4, 6, 8, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22, 23, 24

#9 would be next on the list. The rest are oneshot silly stuff (1, 2, 3, 5) or return appearances of minor characters, or Challengers (same thing really)