• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE #9 What a great deal if I had 12k sitting around

112 posts in this topic

well, now that you asked:

Atom.......irrelevant

Hawkman.......irrelevant

Aquaman.......irrelevant

Adam Strange.......irrelevant

Metal Men.......irrelevant

Rip Hunter.......TOTALLY irrelevant

Sadly TTH2, all these heroes are just hanging on in continuity by a thread...

Then why won't the darned prices go down for these books? Don't sophisticated collectors understand the youth of today don't care about these books and they're only destined to decline in value? I got outbid for the PC Showcase 40 in the recent Heritage auction. Why does anyone care about the 4th appearance of the Metal Men?

Don't worry. Give it 10 or 20 years and then pick it up. Alternatively, you might start trying to buy these in about 3.5 - probably get them for $5 to $10 poke2.gif

I can`t, I need immediate gratification. insane.gif

it wont be that bad. but, if theres any upside left in any comics, it wont be stuff like this. Only completists want them and there will probably be fewer. Dont read me as overly bearish on comics... Im not. But we have seen many segments stall over the years, and these are among the next batch IMO. Not plummet. stall. stagnate. become less liquid compared to other books that could be collected instead.

I got outbid for the PC Showcase 40 in the recent Heritage auction. Why does anyone care about the 4th appearance of the Metal Men?

surprised you bid on that book. the ugly stress line made me write "no way a 9.6" in my auction book. different strokes...

well, now that you asked:

Atom.......irrelevant

Hawkman.......irrelevant

Aquaman.......irrelevant

Adam Strange.......irrelevant

Metal Men.......irrelevant

Rip Hunter.......TOTALLY irrelevant

Sadly TTH2, all these heroes are just hanging on in continuity by a thread...

Then why won't the darned prices go down for these books? Don't sophisticated collectors understand the youth of today don't care about these books and they're only destined to decline in value? I got outbid for the PC Showcase 40 in the recent Heritage auction. Why does anyone care about the 4th appearance of the Metal Men?

Because, they're "COLLECTORS"............... insane.gif

and those PC WW's did pretty well (better than i expected after i couldn't get nary a nibble for my beauties)..................... grin.gif

and my previous GL #16 (9.2) didn't sell at the BIN of $1385 (incl BP) under it's new 9.4 label................ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I got outbid for the PC Showcase 40 in the recent Heritage auction. Why does anyone care about the 4th appearance of the Metal Men?

surprised you bid on that book. the ugly stress line made me write "no way a 9.6" in my auction book. different strokes...

Actually, Mike, we were thinking along the same lines. I thought it was an overgraded 9.6 for that and other reasons, so I only bid a price appropriate for a 9.4 book.

and those PC WW's did pretty well (better than i expected after i couldn't get nary a nibble for my beauties)..................... grin.gif

and my previous GL #16 (9.2) didn't sell at the BIN of $1385 (incl BP) under it's new 9.4 label................ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Harry, you'll do much better on Heritage with the DCs you couldn't move on Pedigree. Heritage reaches a deeper segment of DC collectors than just about any dealer I can think of. If your WWs and MMs don't sell at the National, you should consider Heritage if you truly want to move them.

No way the GL 16 will ever achieve the seller's asking price. He needs to take it off the market for a while before it gets tainted as an unmoveable book.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, it appears the book sold for $12K (and the buyer even put a higher insurance bid just in case). The buyer was not someone I'm familiar with, but his previous purchases appear to be pretty small ticket stuff. The only feedback he received from anyone I'm familiar with was positive from board member Flaming Telepath. It will be interesting to see if this deal really closes. popcorn.gif

Actually, Mike, we were thinking along the same lines. I thought it was an overgraded 9.6 for that and other reasons, so I only bid a price appropriate for a 9.4 book.

Hi Tim: The Showcase 40 is a 9.4 well at least it was when it was originally graded.

Tom

Hi Tim: The Showcase 40 is a 9.4 well at least it was when it was originally graded.

Tom

But when you sold it on Heritage in June 2004, it was a 9.6. Did you resub it? In any event, I will add it to the upgrade database. I don't suppose you would have the serial number from when it was a 9.4?

Tom

But when you sold it on Heritage in June 2004, it was a 9.6. Did you resub it? In any event, I will add it to the upgrade database. I don't suppose you would have the serial number from when it was a 9.4?

Tim: It was resubbed before being sold. I do have the serial number and am working on a list of books for you. I haven't been able to put the time into the list that I would like but it is coming along.

Tom

Tim: It was resubbed before being sold. I do have the serial number and am working on a list of books for you. I haven't been able to put the time into the list that I would like but it is coming along.

Ah, an Ed Jaster shotgun submission special. wink.gif I take it all of the new label books in your lots on Heritage were resubs? If you've got this much of a list to compile, you must have had pretty good success in getting upgrades.

Anyways, no rush. I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, so will not be working on this database during that time, even if I manage to pop onto the boards once or twice.

Ah, an Ed Jaster shotgun submission special. wink.gif I take it all of the new label books in your lots on Heritage were resubs? If you've got this much of a list to compile, you must have had pretty good success in getting upgrades.

Anyways, no rush. I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, so will not be working on this database during that time, even if I manage to pop onto the boards once or twice.

Tim: I have only resubbed 1 book the PC DD 2. 8.5, 8.5 to 9.0. I believe there where about 6 books in the auction resubbed. The others on my list where upgraded once the were out of my posession much like Harry's GL 16.

Best, Tom

PS: Have a nice vacation!