• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peacemaker...a Charlton character!??
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, JazzMan said:

I know nothing about the Peacemaker that'll make his debut in the upcoming The Suicide Squad movie so I decided to look him up.  I was shocked to see that he was originally a Charlton character who first appeared in Fightin' Five #40 in 1966.  I guess it was later acquired by DC.  Is this the biggest Charlton key?  

Not even close.  It might be the biggest silver age Charlton key...

On 7/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, Dr Zen said:

In 1983 Americomics produced a one shot with the Charlton heroes.

The story ends in a cliff hanger, and they explain that the story will not be finished because the characters had been sold to another publisher. (They didn't mention DC by name)

50182.jpg

I've actually got a copy of this book. I think it was in some comic 3-pack I got back in the late 80s.

I know Charlton comics aren’t known for strong stories and engaging characters, but I find them appealing for some odd reason.  The character concepts are actually quite interesting and I could see some kind of resurgence with good story-telling and maybe some luck.  Gunn may be just blowing smoke, but he’s commented that the upcoming Suicide Squad movie is his favorite work yet (and hard to believe he would favor this over GoTG), so I could see Peacemaker and maybe a few other Charlton rejects (Judomaster, etc) get a bit of renewed love with the Peacemaker HBO spinoff.  Stranger things have happened. 

11F4992D-6DC6-4AA3-A122-365A5E8EE1BE.jpeg

On 7/25/2021 at 5:32 PM, PeterPark said:

Thought it was in sarge steel...maybe #6?

I’m not sure I’d consider this a 2nd appearance (or 1st given it came out at the same time as SWS4) simply because we just see Judomasters head in a backup page/panel explaining Karate and how to do some basic moves.  He’s not in an actual story, and hard to argue even cameo given that it’s just a karate tutorial with no story arc. I’m sure an asterisk should be added somewhere for it, but I’d consider 2nd appearance as Judomaster #89 IMO.  That said, I think I saw somewhere that maybe Overstreet denotes Sarge Steel 6 as 2nd appearance, so I guess it’s debatable.