• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite dehumidifier
1 1

32 posts in this topic

If there's a Dollar Tree near you, these are literally $1.

https://www.dollartree.com/the-home-store-moisture-eliminators-98oz/144947

When they're full, toss it and grab another.  Takes a month or two, so $12 (a dozen of them) can keep you covered for 1 to 2 years.

Edited by valiantman

During the summer I run the central air and two 30 pint dehumidifiers - one upstairs and one in the basement.

That is more for me than the comics though. 

Edited by Buzzetta

i installed a honeywell dehum into my central system 3 years ago.  i do hvac so it wansnt a big deal aside from the 1$ a day cost to run it in the summer time.  my house stays around 65% in the summer time, but i told my wife its for the kids, better air quality.  the gods honest truth was i wanted to see 50% on my thermostat, my golden and silver age books deserve it!!! generally anything between 30% and 60% is ok, i think national archives are kept at 50 or 55% 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 7/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, Wolverinex said:

Which dehumidifier are most of you all using for your books?  I've used EVa-dry and really liked them.   Just wondering if there are any other good brands.

https://www.eva-dry.com/product/e-500-renewable-high-capacity-dehumidifier/

This is what I use, but I prefer the smaller E-333 mainly because because it's easier to "strategically" position them in certain places in my safe.  They're also not as unwieldy to plug into the wall for recharging.  The design looks like it's been updated so this may not be an issue any more.  

Okay, I can understand one of those tiny things in a safe, but folks aren't using them in a comic room are they? Removing 6-8 oz of water in 30-60 days is nothing. I run a 50 pint Frigidaire in the comic room. Same as this model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304067655524?hash=item46cbd83764:g:eAoAAOSwnApg8GjU

In the summer i need to dump the bucket at least once a week.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, Pontoon said:

I live in Massachusetts and keep my comic collection in the basement.  In the summer, I empty the dehumidifier twice a day!  In the winter, not at all.  

On 7/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, Pontoon said:

Okay, I can understand one of those tiny things in a safe, but folks aren't using them in a comic room are they? Removing 6-8 oz of water in 30-60 days is nothing. I run a 50 pint Frigidaire in the comic room. Same as this model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304067655524?hash=item46cbd83764:g:eAoAAOSwnApg8GjU

This right here.  Those things will pull a ton of moisture out of the air and make a pretty significant impact during the summer.  If you live in a humid climate these things will need to be emptied anywhere from 2-3 times a week to 2-3 times a day!  Running one of those keeps my humidity from 76% RH to the low 60% RH and upper 50's RH.  I keep my comic room door closed and has weather stripping and a plastic floor sweep to seal out as much of the outside air as possible. If you have a very small comic room or safe, the damp rids and maybe those small dehumidifiers would suffice but in larger rooms or those open to the rest of the house you will need the action of either a whole home humidifier or a large portable dehumidifier.  Another tip is that if you keep the room where your comics are closed and restrict air flow to them you can cut down on the humidity in that room quite a bit.  Same applies for keeping your exterior doors and windows sealed or you'll be letting humidity seep in from outside air.  Another thing to keep in mind with a large room or area humidifiers is they are useless if you open your windows and doors frequently.  You'll be flooding the home with humidity.  Your A/C already cuts down on a lot of humidity by itself.  The process of air condition actually performs a bit of dehumidifying by blowing warm air over cool coils pulls moisture out of the air onto the coils that drips to a drain so keep the AC going to maintain a constant temperature but to bring it down that extra 10% or more use a large area dehumidifier preferably one with a target RH setting with auto shutoff or a timer.

One side-effect of those is that they give off warmer air which kind of works against your A/C in cooling a room so don't put it next to a thermostat but the act of dehumidifying the area does help the A/C perform better as it cuts down on the amount of moisture on indoor air that could build up on your coils.  if you have to go away for a few days, get a dehumidifier that can auto drain into a sink or sump pump well so you don't have to worry about it just sitting there shut off because it is full.  But please don't run your dehumidifier next to your comics.

So as mentioned, I have two dehumidifiers in the house that I run during the summer. 

My favorite one is the one I just moved into my bedroom with the loud fan that creates a white noise of sorts when run on high and constant.

It drowns out the revving of the motorcycles that are owned by the guy across the street who leaves and comes home at odd hours. 

That dehumidifier is my favorite.  For the last two nights, my ring doorbell picks up this doofus but my ears do not. 

Good little machine. 

On 7/25/2021 at 12:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

So as mentioned, I have two dehumidifiers in the house that I run during the summer. 

My favorite one is the one I just moved into my bedroom with the loud fan that creates a white noise of sorts when run on high and constant.

It drowns out the revving of the motorcycles that are owned by the guy across the street who leaves and comes home at odd hours. 

That dehumidifier is my favorite.  For the last two nights, my ring doorbell picks up this doofus but my ears do not. 

Good little machine. 

Ugh that's v annoying 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, Wolverinex said:

Ugh that's v annoying 

At this point I hope he crashes.   No need for him to be killed. But it would be nice for the bike to be destroyed and for him to have a come to Jesus meeting with his mortality if that is what it takes for him to stop leaving at midnight and coming back at 2am while revving the bike. 

On 7/24/2021 at 1:15 AM, justafan said:

This right here.  Those things will pull a ton of moisture out of the air and make a pretty significant impact during the summer.  If you live in a humid climate these things will need to be emptied anywhere from 2-3 times a week to 2-3 times a day!  Running one of those keeps my humidity from 76% RH to the low 60% RH and upper 50's RH.  I keep my comic room door closed and has weather stripping and a plastic floor sweep to seal out as much of the outside air as possible. If you have a very small comic room or safe, the damp rids and maybe those small dehumidifiers would suffice but in larger rooms or those open to the rest of the house you will need the action of either a whole home humidifier or a large portable dehumidifier.  Another tip is that if you keep the room where your comics are closed and restrict air flow to them you can cut down on the humidity in that room quite a bit.  Same applies for keeping your exterior doors and windows sealed or you'll be letting humidity seep in from outside air.  Another thing to keep in mind with a large room or area humidifiers is they are useless if you open your windows and doors frequently.  You'll be flooding the home with humidity.  Your A/C already cuts down on a lot of humidity by itself.  The process of air condition actually performs a bit of dehumidifying by blowing warm air over cool coils pulls moisture out of the air onto the coils that drips to a drain so keep the AC going to maintain a constant temperature but to bring it down that extra 10% or more use a large area dehumidifier preferably one with a target RH setting with auto shutoff or a timer.

One side-effect of those is that they give off warmer air which kind of works against your A/C in cooling a room so don't put it next to a thermostat but the act of dehumidifying the area does help the A/C perform better as it cuts down on the amount of moisture on indoor air that could build up on your coils.  if you have to go away for a few days, get a dehumidifier that can auto drain into a sink or sump pump well so you don't have to worry about it just sitting there shut off because it is full.  But please don't run your dehumidifier next to your comics.

My basement one can be emptied at least twice a day and the one upstairs at least one. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, Buzzetta said:

At this point I hope he crashes.   No need for him to be killed. But it would be nice for the bike to be destroyed and for him to have a come to Jesus meeting with his mortality if that is what it takes for him to stop leaving at midnight and coming back at 2am while revving the bike. 

My basement one can be emptied at least twice a day and the one upstairs at least one. 

People who are like that are just born that way.  They never change

On 7/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, Wolverinex said:

People who are like that are just born that way.  They never change

Heh... He is retired Nassau PD.