• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bargaining Techniques

61 posts in this topic

OK - so you are at a major comic con and you encounter a dealer with a few books you want (not the super-pricey ones - ones in the $50-300 range). How do YOU bargain the price down?

At all the cons I've been to (every 2 months in Boston and even Wondercon here in SF) I buy usually from dealers who know me and who will basically cut 25% as the norm). but having been so used to this - have lost the touch.

I plan on taking a decdent amount of cash to Wondercon for pre-code horror. I may well find nothing there (a couple of dealer pals I know have said they aren't gonna setup there this year) but may well find some pre-cdoe in nice condition. And I know that cash is always more welcome (not sure why - maybe no paper trail?)

So how do YOU bargain? What special techniques? Yes, this is a selfish question. I want as many Fine or better precodes as I can get to fill in my type set!

smile.gif

(The above emoticon should be a "disarming and likable smile" but I could not find that one here!)

I would bring Hammer along with me, and say to a dealer "we think you can come down in price" *with a BIG grin on my face* grin.gif And if they failed to comply...

*Pause to think of what Hammer COULD do to a man*

...we would torture them with the worst classical music in existence! laugh.gif

Unfortunately, like you, I usually just buy from local dealers that I trust who give me an automatic 20% off on items that I buy. To be honest, I rarely make a specific offer when I buy books. I just ask them what the best that they can do and they quote me a price. I usually pick out books that I really want and aren't priced outrageously to begin with so I don't think that I have ever returned the books if the deal wasn't good enough. frown.gif

Pov, drool on yourself a lot. Slur your words. If you have one, wear a football helmet. When they tell you the price, take out a piteously small wad of one dollar bills and start to cry. Oh, and you can try punching yourself in the genitals... that seems to work for *some* people around here... :::looks north:::

Dang, I forgot to put my real response in there too...

Comic dealers tend to be the biggest bastards in the world (at least the ones with good books are)... and before any of you guys get all hot and bothered, I will qualify that by saying they are the biggest bastards to people that they don't know. That being said, try the *usual* methods for getting on someone's good side... and don't wear any comic-related memorabilia to the show... and take a really nice specimen of some really cool book that everyone wants and walk around with it. It'll be like having a pretty girl on your arm! Instant respect!

negotiation is a tough technique to master. i find it is never the same with different people. its all a matter of (again only my opinions) qualification, sincerity, honesty and style.

1)spend a few minutes qualifying the seller. by this i mean ask as many questions as possible without triggering a restraining order lol. where is dealer from, big or small, what is their bread and butter, does this type of genre sell well in their hometown. you get the picture, now do all of this while sporting a smile, gathering up ammunition, and seeming like it is just smalltalk. the more you know about your negotiating partner, the more you are likely to hit a sweet spot and the liklier you are to form a bond akin to friendship which could work in your favor. remember, i may sound callous BUT these cats do the same type of stuff to buyers, they may not even realize it but they do. and you are not here for friends. be a mercenary.

2)be sincere or honest. i never negotiate from a foundation of half truths. if you like the book, do not be afraid to say you like it, if you want it, its ok to say you want it. alot of times as a retail manager (car business not comics) if a customer says they have 10 deals to check out on the same car, dealers let them go with the promise to beat every deal at the last shot. blah blah blah. you and i both know that the horror mag you are looking at could be sold in five minutes. if you like it and want it, let the seller know at the right price you are a buyer NOW.

3)be stern. set your limit ahead of time and let your seller know that you will not go outside of your boundary but in a nice way. i once had a seller tell me that they thought that their book was underpriced at 550. i told them that i could appreciate that but i was only willing to spend what i wanted and no more. he said how about 525. i took out four hundred dollars (a figure he told me he had passed on earlier in the day from another buyer) and i laid it on the table, i told him that was all i would do. love to have the book but would not spend too much on it. long and short, he took the money of course. but he had half truthed me a couple of times when we spoke on non essentials so i figured the four hundred figure came out for a reason. that was why i did it that way.

my last advice is never let yourself get pigeon holed. or get your wings pinned back. for years in my business (again cars) i was the guy who pinned your wings for you. by this i mean you are looking at something priced, say 300 dollars. you want to pay less. you say (very common way of sayin it) "would you take less for this?" seller says "sure make me an offer" you say how bout 250?

seller always bumps. "well how about 260?" you say sure cause he seems reasonable and all is well. you lost. you spit up a number first. my suggestion is always try to answer a question with a question, never commit to a number till it fits you.

me"hey, i like this one, how about we see if we can work a deal together on it?"

seller" sure make me an offer?"

me"well its in nice shape but 300 seems a bit steep for me, how much could you take off?

seller"umm how bout 10 percent, thats 30 off"

me "that seems like a good starting point, but still a little more than i was thinking. how much more than 30 dollars can you take off?

and do not give a number till you HAVE to because either the dealer quits or wants to kill you.

seller "well i guess i could do 260 but thats about it"

me(i havent commited at a number yet remember)

AND here is the NUMBER ONE RULE of negotiation. when you get down to brass tacks (you will feel it the pressure gives me wood) HE WHO SPEAKS FIRST LOSES!!! so all of this time i have been silent and relatively motionless. it can go on for minutes hours days.... all negotiations are like this. they all carry a pregnant pause. think about it you can pin down a spot where it was do or die and remember the SILENT seconds that seem like minutes...

Seller"how does that sound?"

NOW the seller has not moved ground verbally yet BUT the fact that they broke the silence IN ANY WAY indicates that it is time to drop the hammer down.

Me"well i tell ya, give me it at 240 and its a deal" assume the close. start getting your money out

either the sell says no its 260 only (unlikely, spent too much time invested to quit now and lose it all)

says yes(congrats you have worn him out. hope you never run into this seller again or he will be mumbling about what a nickledick you are the whole time)

or goes for the bump (sugarbump) seller"250 best i can do" you are already getting your money and you have dropped price to 250 where you wanted it

in all fairness i have tried to make the seller not a total melon head. some sellers will drop drawers and some will snub you. this was just an average seller in my experience.

hope i have helped.

if nothing else remember the golden silence rule. the uncomfort of it all will freak a seller out into dropping price for you every time.

Major! Can you send me that in email - formatted in Flash Cards? grin.gif

Ps - and please don't do TOO much thread-hijacking - am gonna bring about 2K for pre-code horror - Really want to make it last. I have a lot of books to fill that type set!

Yeah - I know you understand - yeah - THERE ya go! Join us!

It'll be like having a pretty girl on your arm! Instant respect!

Or you could try just bringing the pretty girl....or is that assuming too much? grin.gif

But seriously, MK brings up a great point. Comic dealers can be real @$$holes if you're trying to bargain and have never dealt with them before. I've set up at cons a couple of times, and I can't say that I blame them. I don't do too many cons because it seems that doing so will turn you into a major pr!#K. There are serious buyers, but a lot of lonely time wasters as well who aren't really serious about buying, but just like making annoying conversation. So when a serious buyer comes a long that wants to make a legit deal on some books, they become sick of talking.

I would suggest taking a few books that are not over-priced for sticker, and come back later and try to deal on some other stuff you may want. Any decent businessman will realize that you're serious based on earlier purchases, and will definetly be willing to deal, especially in the closing hours of the show.

Here's another one, but its kind of a pain. NEVER EVER EVER go to a table where the guy doesn't have his books priced. Also, money talks, and bullsh!t walks - be prepared to WALK away if you don't hit your price bogey.

Its like buying a car - if you're prepared, know your stuff and are prepared to walk, you should be fine. Offer your price on the book, if the dealer won't budge, ask him what the best he can do on it. If its not in your price area, walk away.

Doyle -truly excellent advice. While I knew most of what you said I had not exercised it in so long I basically forgot it. One of the reasons I will use cash is it appeals to many dealers - no paper trail. AND laying out a few bills on the table and saying "Well - what about this?" can definitely have an impact!

I DO thank you! smile.gif

Or you could try just bringing the pretty girl....or is that assuming too much?

lol Honestly, I think you could walk around with a naked girl on your arm, but if in your other hand you have a nice high grade silver or gold, that's the "accessory" (pardon me ladies) that will get the most attention!

Ask your girlfriend or lady acquaintance to negotiate the price. Dealers always give the deepest discount to girls since they are much nicer to look at than sweaty fanboyz clutching their slabbed Wizard #1 tongue.gif .

Ooo! Ooo! And to add to what Andrew AND Donut are saying, sometimes it's useful to buy the lower priced items that you want from a guy first (especially if he's a total jerk)... just to tenderize him and let him know you're for real. Then take a walk. Come back later, he'll have had a TON of loser time-wasters through and he'll be glad to see someone who's likely to spend money and he might loosen up a bit for you.

lol Honestly, I think you could walk around with a naked girl on your arm, but if in your other hand you have a nice high grade silver or gold, that's the "accessory" (pardon me ladies) that will get the most attention!

The sad thing is, I think you're right. But I know I'm still not quite at the point where a HG key will draw more attention from me than a hot, naked chick. Although I am young, and my pencil is still fully leaded. The day that this changes, is the day I drop the hobby and spend all my comic money on lap dances and buying strange women drinks. It's important to keep priorities straight. wink.gif

Let me add one thing to all this. Dealers love repeat business......ask for their card....say things like "I would be really interested in any pre-code books you may get in" or "I normally don't come to many cons I do most of my business by email and post".

If you do this, then they won't feel like they are a cheap date on a one night stand.