• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ron Lim art art is $33,000 now?!? WTF
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 6:46 PM, vodou said:

He's from Texas.

Duh.

Me too :) 

Haha!!!!

Im a transplanted New Yorker who lived in Garland and Pasadena for a short spell as a young lad. I can say without equivocation, “ Ya’ll just don’t give two _ _ _ _ s  do ya?”

On 7/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, Xatari said:

I don’t understand criticizing Ron Lim to be honest. Ron is a great guy and a great artist. Some thoughts should remain “inside thoughts” and not every opinion needs to be expressed in prose on a public forum. 

I have no problem criticizing either an artist or art—if done fairly. There are artists who are great guys but mediocre artists and artists who are great but leave something to be desired as human beings. You can find a whole Facebook page on the latter involving artists who accept commission payments and don’t produce. Lim is not on that list, I believe, and I have no reason to think any bad thoughts about him.

But, I can still criticize that page for 33k. Basically, I think it lacks balance. The dynamism of the Surfer’s attack in the upper right ought to be mirrored in the rest of the page, particularly in the lower left. If Thanos is going to swat Captain America, why isn’t it given a stronger artistic role, even while showing the insignificant effect on Thanos? Something better than a slightly large rectangle was due the reader in order to set up cross-page balance. Even odd shaped panels would be an improvement.

As I have said before, I regard most professional artists as very good or better, with differences often a matter of a buyer’s stylistic preference than real quality. The page is nice, and my criticism is more lengthy than harsh. Stylistically, the commission for sale is a better example of his skills, I think, although it can’t be fairly compared to a published page which has a plot baked into it. But do I think criticism is fair? Absolutely.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 7/25/2021 at 6:03 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I have no problem criticizing either an artist or art—if done fairly. There are artists who are great guys but mediocre artists and artists who are great but leave something to be desired as human beings. You can find a whole Facebook page on the latter involving artists who accept commission payments and don’t produce. Lim is not on that list, I believe, and I have no reason to think any bad thoughts about him.

But, I can still criticize that page for 33k. Basically, I think it lacks balance. The dynamism of the Surfer’s attack in the upper right ought to be mirrored in the rest of the page, particularly in the lower left. If Thanos is going to swat Captain America, why isn’t it given a stronger artistic role, even while showing the insignificant effect on Thanos? Something better than a slightly large rectangle was due the reader in order to set up cross-page balance. Even odd shaped panels would be an improvement.

As I have said before, I regard most professional artists as very good or better, with differences often a matter of a buyer’s stylistic preference than real quality. The page is nice, and my criticism is more lengthy than harsh. Stylistically, the commission for sale is a better example of his skills, I think, although it can’t be fairly compared to a published page which has a plot baked into it. But do I think criticism is fair? Absolutely.

One could also say that the artist intentionally wanted the most dynamic part of the page to be the Surfer’s missed attempt and any further dynamic piece added to the page would diminish that! The fact that swatting Captain America and killing him in such  a trivial and meaningless way is brilliant IMO.

Could the page be better? Sure.

Could every art page ever made be better? Sure.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:42 PM, Xatari said:

There is certainly a lot going on in our hobby. I think above all we just need to make sure we aren’t disrespecting artists or each other.

I joined the community a little over a year ago, and it was a big turnoff. I quickly realized there are a very vocal salty few who love to 💩 post. It’s a turnoff to new collectors whom we should be embracing.

While I’ve come to realize it is a small faction of members who do this, it was enough to encourage me to keep silent about my own collecting joy for quite some time as I didn’t want to be the subject of someone else’s keyboard targeting system.

I think it was Thumper’s mom who told him, “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”  This is probably a good rule of thumb for a relatively small community posting on a public forum. 

Just ignore those posters. I do. I’m sure they rant and say dumb stuff about me, but I never see it. B|

On 7/25/2021 at 8:17 AM, Timely said:

One could also say that the artist intentionally wanted the most dynamic part of the page to be the Surfer’s missed attempt and any further dynamic piece added to the page would diminish that! The fact that swatting Captain America and killing him in such  a trivial and meaningless way is brilliant IMO.

Could the page be better? Sure.

Could every art page ever made be better? Sure.

Swatting Capt. America is fine, and a sensible choice, but purely for the sake of intensity balance, the artist could have done a heavily inked small panel of irregular shape to play off the large flowing image of the Surfer. The ink density would then play off against the difference in spatial size.
FYI, this is what I get for being a fan of Piet Mondrian— balance in various image quadrants by using different shapes and color/shade intensities. 😊

On 7/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, Twanj said:

How far outside of reality is the price?

I'm going to guess it's priced 4-4.5x of what it would normally sell for at auction.

So you think it’s a 6-7k page?

On 7/25/2021 at 10:30 AM, cloud cloddie said:

These all sold in the last month or two for under $10K . Taste is subjective, but I’m not seeing much to make this page worth 4-5x. So I’d agree with the 6-7  

A670E38A-069A-4654-9543-D8E0BE5806E4.jpeg

BB2EA914-26B0-44F7-BDDF-6AD87D35C25D.jpeg

1C1EBF11-B8A1-4FDC-84A6-613A4A7FD11A.jpeg

None of those are key pages in the book. All are nice, but I think the seller priced it based on art AND story content.

The page that sold for 31k was artistically average too (nice), but it went for that amount because it was well advertised as the page before Thanos snaps his fingers. Key page to the storyline and the movies.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, Timely said:

None of those are key pages in the book. All are nice, but I think the seller priced it based on art AND story content.

The page that sold for 31k was artistically average too (nice), but it went for that amount because it was well advertised as the page before Thanos snaps his fingers. Key page to the storyline and the movies.

I get the price justifications (as much as I can) but this 33K page is not one that sticks out to me for art OR story. (shrug)

On 7/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, cloud cloddie said:

I get the price justifications (as much as I can) but this 33K page is not one that sticks out to me for art OR story. (shrug)

Then I would say reread the story. The entire first half of the series culminates on this page! After this page the entire focus and storyline changes from Warlocks plan to the secondary one and all the “gods” and entities come in. Before this page it was your basic superheroes in the fight. Definitely a pivotal moment!

Edited by Timely
Typo

On 7/25/2021 at 9:18 AM, Timely said:

Then I would say reread the story. The entire first half of the series culminates on this page! After this page the entire focus and storyline changes from Warlocks plan to the secondary one and all the “gods” and entities come in. Before this page it was your basic superheroes in the fight. Definitely a pivotal moment!

I’ve read it several times, thanks. I think the page before and after this one are way better. Different strokes, man. You think this is a culmination page, I think it’s a breather page. 

On 7/24/2021 at 6:19 PM, grapeape said:

I like this one very much. Very good things come with smaller price tags. It just takes some investigation. Can you tell us a little more about this one my friend?

Sorry for the delay. The page is from Deceased Dead Planet No. 6. Pencils by Trevor Hairsine, inks by Gigi Baldassini. Most of the pencils were done on the computer, but Hairsine then made some changes with real pencils that were then scanned and sent to Baldissini for inking. There should still be quite a few more still available on Comic Art Tracker.

The "feel" of the page is similar to something I have by Jason Shawn Alexander, although the line work is different, and was more than double the price a few years ago. That might make for an interesting topic: "Lower Priced Substitutes (for those not tied to a "brand name" artist)".

JasonShawnAlexander.thumb.jpg.05ed625669891ff1882fb4cee6a417fe.jpg

On 7/25/2021 at 10:23 AM, G.A.tor said:

So you think it’s a 6-7k page?

4-4.5 would be $7.3-8.25k. Something around there, give or take a bit, if it was sold at auction.

I'm not saying he won't find someone to buy it...

And I love Lim and the Surfer and I like this page.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:20 PM, tth2 said:

First we had The Snikt Premium, and now we have The Snap Premium.

Or it’s just the video games selling for over 1 million and multiple stocks hitting all time highs daily premium. Aim high with your listings, the money is churning.