• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified (Green Label) Poor?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2021 at 9:27 PM, AnkurJ said:

So in a nutshell, the entire cover is married, not just the front cover. However due the giant chunk it would only grade a 0.5 I guess.

I guess maybe, although Overstreet allows "up to 1/4 of the cover missing" in the Fair grade. (shrug)

On 8/1/2021 at 12:10 AM, ttfitz said:

I guess maybe, although Overstreet allows "up to 1/4 of the cover missing" in the Fair grade. (shrug)

If I may..?  :foryou:

The book apparently has a detached cover with a married front cover---pretty wild stuff even for CGC. I believe the key to understanding why this book received a Qualified .5 is on the label---the "Married Front Cover" notation is in capital letters while the other flaws are listed in lower case letters. So it appears the book was Qualified for the married front cover but the other serious flaws resulted in the book receiving a grade of Poor. 

Make sense?  (shrug)

On 8/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, The Lions Den said:

Make sense?  (shrug)

Partially. I guess my point - and others before me - was that we thought "Qualified" meant essentially "If it wasn't for THIS flaw, it would get THIS grade." Well, when THIS grade is Poor, it is hardly qualified.

On 8/2/2021 at 4:45 AM, ttfitz said:

Partially. I guess my point - and others before me - was that we thought "Qualified" meant essentially "If it wasn't for THIS flaw, it would get THIS grade." Well, when THIS grade is Poor, it is hardly qualified.

There are times when I'm baffled by some of the things I've seen on a CGC label, but in this case I understand why they did what they did. Sorry...  :foryou:

On 8/2/2021 at 12:07 PM, JasonTodd69 said:

Does everything look better in a CGC case? I think somethings might feel better raw in hand and just noted. .5? I'm no comic grader but that seems a bit low

I think the extensive tape repair was a factor as well...  :gossip:

So on some things you can ask for them to give a Green book a Blue label and they adjust the grade.  Live a Hulk 181 with the stamp missing can get a blue label and the grade is adjusted.  What would happen on a .5 Green, would it become a Blue NG or a Blue .5 since it can't go lower?

On 8/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, The Lions Den said:

There are times when I'm baffled by some of the things I've seen on a CGC label, but in this case I understand why they did what they did. Sorry...  :foryou:

Yeah, I can see if you worked like customer service at the cable company, with a checklist you went down it makes sense. "Okay, married cover, that makes it Qualified. Check. Now grade it ignoring the married cover."

I guess my hope would be that some common sense might come into play and realize that the married cover didn't really matter at all to the grade in cases like these, and respond appropriately.