• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified (Green Label) Poor?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

In tonight's Heritage Auction, there is a graded Fantastic Four #1 that is a Qualified 0.5, which I don't really understand. I thought the Green Label/Qualified grade meant "if it wasn't for this particular thing, this would be the grade", like a VF copy that had a Marvel Value Stamp removed, or such. I don't get how a Qualified book grades as a Poor, I mean that's pretty much the bottom of the grading scale anyway, right? I guess incomplete, but this isn't that, unless a married cover counts as incomplete. Seems like just a straight "Poor" would be right.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F24415264%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 7/25/2021 at 6:56 PM, D84 said:

Any married cover/pages or replaced staples gets a green label. Not sure for the reasoning, because both of those seem like restoration to me.

I don’t consider marrying a page or cover restoration. Restoration is adding to a book to improve its esthetics, whereas marrying is just exchanging parts amongst the same issued comic; all the parts are original to that issue, just across several copies of the same comic. 

On 7/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Terry_JSA said:

I don’t consider marrying a page or cover restoration. Restoration is adding to a book to improve its esthetics, whereas marrying is just exchanging parts amongst the same issued comic; all the parts are original to that issue, just across several copies of the same comic. 

I see your point, and I've married pages or a centerfold myself. Maybe green is a better label than restored, since most people treat it like the plague, but I don't think qualified is right either.

Maybe just put it as a note on a blue label? That doesn't sound right either.

Who knows?

On 7/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Mylark said:

Attaching a cover is not adding to the book to improve its aesthetics? 

Yes but but it’s not on the same level as cleaning, trimming, or color touch since you’d be altering or adding to the book in order for it to present better. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, Amazeron said:

That’s probably the reason that CGC grades it qualified. Since it’s exchanging parts by damaging another copy of the same, it’s not exactly restoring. One could say it’s..

image.jpeg.96ed2deb5a997832449c6abe398938d1.jpeg

60885FE7-5233-4F39-B989-F99AE2AF198B.gif

On 7/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, Terry_JSA said:
On 7/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Mylark said:

Attaching a cover is not adding to the book to improve its aesthetics? 

Yes but but it’s not on the same level as cleaning, trimming, or color touch since you’d be altering or adding to the book in order for it to present better. 

One could argue that it is an extreme version of "pieces added" which is on a number of my restored books....

On 7/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, JollyComics said:

It looks like that book has only a married front cover.   No back cover.

Not sure if you are saying it doesn't have a back cover, or just that it's only the front cover that is married. But it does have a back cover:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F24415265%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I wonder if it's really married as the missing chunk matches front and back, and it seems unlikely that whoever went to all the trouble to tape the spine back together wouldn't tape the chunk back on if it got torn after the taping. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:25 AM, ttfitz said:

Not sure if you are saying it doesn't have a back cover, or just that it's only the front cover that is married. But it does have a back cover:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F24415265%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Thanks for showing the back cover.  You can see different (old and new) tape repairs on the covers in two different times.  The dark tape stains on BC must be the original so the front cover doesn't have the dark stains that came from the different cover. Those new tape repairs attached both married front cover and back original back cover.  Either complete cover or half cover is from other book is married to this book is qualified.

Edited by JollyComics

On 7/26/2021 at 3:29 AM, rjpb said:

I wonder if it's really married as the missing chunk matches front and back, and it seems unlikely that whoever went to all the trouble to tape the spine back together wouldn't tape the chunk back on if it got torn after the taping. 

Maybe the submitter ripped a chunk off of the back cover in order to match the front with the intent of trying to trick CGC into thinking that the covers weren't married.

It probably would have been smart for the original submitter to request a blue label (I'm pretty sure you are in your right to do so and take what is usually a lower grade) as .5 is the lowest possible grade and people will likely bid more.

That is if CGC would actually do that for a .5?

I owned this book for a number of years but never had it graded. It was sold raw. I had bought a coverless in the late 90's that had beautiful snow white pages. Found a copy with a giant chew through the entire book and the interior was obviously effected, so I swapped out the interiors. Kept it for years but had to sell it to pay for something else.

So in a nutshell, the entire cover is married, not just the front cover. However due the giant chunk it would only grade a 0.5 I guess.

I never argued with them about the book. My only concern was them saying the pages were split, since they were not when I sent it in.  I really forgot about it...maybe I'll just list it since I gave up on completing the run.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:37 PM, skypinkblu said:

I never argued with them about the book. My only concern was them saying the pages were split, since they were not when I sent it in.  I really forgot about it...maybe I'll just list it since I gave up on completing the run.

I should have known that you'd already asked this question long ago!