• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchase cgc 9.8 off eBay but there some defects

5 posts in this topic

Hi people I need some advice I bought savage she hulk graded 9.8 my first cgc comic and I noticed some minor damage on it there some red spots on the back and the side of the case is a little lose I worried it might be a fake grade idk

I just don't know how grading works

20210726_235402.jpg

20210726_235350.jpg

20210726_235350.jpg

It appears that the front cover has a printer crease, and the back cover has some printing ink spillage/smear/whatnot from manufacturing.  

As these were made during the printing process, and not damage afterward, they are often either not considered by CGC as "defects," or their effect on the grade is minimal.  

I wouldn't worry about the grade being "fake."  

On 7/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, djzombi said:

It appears that the front cover has a printer crease, and the back cover has some printing ink spillage/smear/whatnot from manufacturing.  

As these were made during the printing process, and not damage afterward, they are often either not considered by CGC as "defects," or their effect on the grade is minimal.  

I wouldn't worry about the grade being "fake."  

+1 

It's pretty hard to fake a graded slab. They are designed so you can't crack them open and reseal them. 

As djzombi said, these blemishes are likely manufacturing defects and therefore not considered defects during the grading process.

You are likely good, but got confirmation you can look up the certification number and confirm it's real. 

I remember my first graded book...it was so perfect.

I was so excited, so innocent.

I thought they'd all be perfect.

And then as I bought more.

i learned what a Newton ring was and saw my first inner well scuffing. and then there was the tiny specs of paper trapped in the case.

Now I'm just happy if I get one without N rings.