• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SELLING DAD'S COMICS
3 3

9 posts in this topic

I thought it might be fun to share this process with the CGC community.

First, a brief history:

I began my comic book life a few days ago. July 21st 2021 to be exact. My dad bought 112 comics in the late '70s for the sole purpose of an investment (they're all unread). Last week, he asked me to take his collection, sell/flip it, and split the profits. This sounded fun so here we are.

Based on my research, I decided to repackage them from the 45 year old bags and scotch tape into something new. I opened an ebay account, purchased bags and backs, created a CGC account, and bought the premium membership.

I don't think he has anything of value above $200 and the grading isn't exactly all 9.0 but this experience at the very least will be a fun hobby.

Day 1: Transferring

1263597897_Day1B.thumb.jpg.9430ed446c4c51853c0c556e3c24524c.jpg999791437_Day1A.thumb.jpg.6052b8f66b6095399058f82015570597.jpg

Welcome to the boards and the hobby. When you start posting them at auction be sure to post clear, high res pics to maximize your profits and don’t forget to throw in key words like “key”, “high grade” and “mcu” to draw in as many bidders as possible and don’t forget to share your eBay screen name over here. Have fun though and maybe set some aside to familiarize yourself with comics in general. Who knows, you may end up becoming a collector yourself.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, manetteska said:

Welcome!

How did your dad decide upon these 112 comics? Were they purely investment from the start?

He wanted ones that he thought would be worth the most in the future. Ie #1's. I don't think there was really a specific type or genre. 

On 7/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, B2D327 said:

Welcome to the boards and the hobby. When you start posting them at auction be sure to post clear, high res pics to maximize your profits and don’t forget to throw in key words like “key”, “high grade” and “mcu” to draw in as many bidders as possible and don’t forget to share your eBay screen name over here. Have fun though and maybe set some aside to familiarize yourself with comics in general. Who knows, you may end up becoming a collector yourself.

I could absolutely see this happening. I'm already having a lot of fun. 

On 7/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, BankItDrew said:

He wanted ones that he thought would be worth the most in the future. Ie #1's. I don't think there was really a specific type or genre. 

Cool exercise by him and hopefully there are some decent books in there that raise decent money.

Unfortunately for him, almost none of the biggest books from the 1970s were  #1s.  For example, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, Marvel Spotlight 5, Spider-Man 121, 122 & 129. 

Off the top of my head, the only mega BA #1 that comes to mind is Giant-Size X-Men #1. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, tth2 said:

Cool exercise by him and hopefully there are some decent books in there that raise decent money.

Unfortunately for him, almost none of the biggest books from the 1970s were  #1s.  For example, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, Marvel Spotlight 5, Spider-Man 121, 122 & 129. 

Off the top of my head, the only mega BA #1 that comes to mind is Giant-Size X-Men #1. 

Yeah I don't think there's any massive gems in the entire collection. Some stuff that is selling for $100 raw but that's about it.

Once I have them photographed and repackaged, I believe my next step is to list a bunch online, whether it be here of ebay. Perhaps some bundles, mostly singles, not really sure yet.

I'm going to submit the most valuable of the bunch, regardless of their value, because I prematurely already bought the premium membership.

Day 4:

As per the advice of the comic book community, I purchased skinny painters tape, put the glossy side of the boards against the comics, and keep them out of the sunlight. I finally got around to transferring everything into their new home of boards n bags. 

Today, I bought my first comics I ever bought in my entire life. A Power Rangers and Hawkeye. Both from a local thrift store for $1.40 each. I looked the PR one up online and one raw sold recently for something like $28. 

Anyways, pictures were taken of the front and back cover of every comic I have, during the transfer process. I've since uploaded everything to my computer and half of them are titled properly in the computer. 

Once I get the other half done, I think the next step is listing them. 

I've decided to list individually. I think. That may change. 

IMG-20210730-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20210730-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20210730-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20210730-WA0019.jpg

PXL_20210727_190320156.jpg