• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics comic rack sign

5 posts in this topic

I ended-up winning this Marvel sign in a FB group, and admittedly I quickly looked at the Spidey and Cap on the sign and thought I knew where the art originated. These are the sellers pics. The Spidey was fairly simple, it's from the front cover of ASM 68 "Crisis on Campus" issue.

image.png.efc86fa9701e07cd26d4143433b69bed.png

The Cap on the other hand, I thought was from the corner box art. Again, I took a quick look at it and figured timeframe fit as a 70's sign.

But after I won it, I took a closer look and I it seems like this combines at least two different Kirby poses into one.

Oddly, there is a Marvel Comics sign that sold on Hakes where the Cap was flipped, so the raised arm with shield was on the right side.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone know where the line art for this rendition of Cap originates?

CAP.jpg.7cd8981d3b7a6b399bd071c3aee789cd.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 7/27/2021 at 12:52 AM, shadroch said:

That image is in reprint magazine and the lettering reminds me of the 1964/65 pinup era. Possibly a TOS pinup?

Best of luck.

Thanks. Every image I looked at was always slightly different. There is the Cap corner box art with the arm raised and the shield, but the particular action pose on the sign nearly always held the shield waist level. It was driving me a little nuts to be honest because I wondered if this was redrawn using the Cap corner box art as the basis, but then I saw this pin-up I thought this just might have been a one-of Kirby drew that someone saw as having potential for use as a pin-up. That is a good point about MGC's containing reprints. I figure with the ASM #68 being published in 1969, even if I could dig out an earlier use of the Cap, it wouldn't be shifting the time clock any further than the date of origin on the Spidey line art.

If the Cap art originated earlier, would still be cool to know.

Edited by comicwiz

On 7/28/2021 at 4:09 AM, comicwiz said:

Thanks. Every image I looked at was always slightly different. There is the Cap corner box art with the arm raised and the shield, but the particular action pose on the sign nearly always held the shield waist level. It was driving me a little nuts to be honest because I wondered if this was redrawn using the Cap corner box art as the basis, but then I saw this pin-up I thought this just might have been a one-of Kirby drew that someone saw as having potential for use as a pin-up. That is a good point about MGC's containing reprints. I figure with the ASM #68 being published in 1969, even if I could dig out an earlier use of the Cap, it wouldn't be shifting the time clock any further than the date of origin on the Spidey line art.

If the Cap art originated earlier, would still be cool to know.

Spidey 68 was published in October 1968