• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 11. Bad Cut or Bad Trim?

5 posts in this topic

Pictures attached are of an ASM 11. I'm having a hard time deciding if this is a really bad trim job or it was just mangled during actual cutting. And if it is a bad cut, how much (if any) could it be dinged on grade? 

Input would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_8955.jpg

IMG_8954.jpg

IMG_8953.jpg

Edited by ReporterSixx

On 7/27/2021 at 4:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't seen a MFG cut this misaligned before, but someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

Correct. Looks as though cut by a shearing action, all at once. Either by the long, fulcrum blade of a paper cutter, with the book unsecured in position, or simply a shears. And it looks like the entire edge was cut at once, not individual pages or section of pages. Either way, a brutal and unsuccessful amputation. What could have been cut off probably was no worse than the end result. 

Edited by James J Johnson

I would guess that if it's a miscut from the printer, then the size would still be the same as a regular book, with the printed image off-center.  If it's a (stunningly bad) trim, then it would be smaller than the size of one of its contemporaries.  

But as Capra said, maybe somebody more knowledgeable will speak up.  James seems to imply a crappy amateur job  :) 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, djzombi said:

I would guess that if it's a miscut from the printer, then the size would still be the same as a regular book, with the printed image off-center.  If it's a (stunningly bad) trim, then it would be smaller than the size of one of its contemporaries.  

But as Capra said, maybe somebody more knowledgeable will speak up.  James seems to imply a crappy amateur job  :) 

A factory mis-cut would not necessarily have to be sized within the average size range. Keep in mind that it's very difficult to find two books from 1963-65 that are the same exact size and  that are perfectly rectangular, that is, cut with perfect 90 degree corner angles. Most Marvels are not perfectly plumb, adding to the inaccuracies that may occur if using size and shape alone to determine trim, or eliminate a book from the possibility of being trimmed. There are books that size below average that are not trimmed, and books that size above average that have been trimmed. A trim can be as narrow as a 1/64th inch angled sliver of the cover alone, or a deep cut of the whole edge, like on this #11, with many attempts made to straighten out all the horrible slip ups, the trimmer not being able to maintain the blade pressure straight downward and keep the blade in a set track right up against the straight edge. They did use a straight edge but the blade was very dull and they stopped ad restarted cuts many time along the edge, at all different depths. It's a true chop job. Horrible. Actually the first chop job I've ever seen that was even more poorly done than  All_Things_Comics typical trimming bill of fare.