• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover Grading Failure and Difficulties -- Updated
1 1

29 posts in this topic

While I think CGC is relativity consistent, the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is often negligible. Even a resub on a CGC 9.8 may return a 9.6.

Now,  if you look over the book and see no spine tics, color breaking creases and the corners look super sharp,  you may want to try a press and dry clean and resub again.... 

You do of course run the risk of damage every time it's opened and messed with. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, labratnotincluded said:

CBCS graded 9.8 X-Men 120

Fact: CGC hates giving 9.8s on Byrne X-Men.  I have subbed dozens of them over the years -- 100 books will come back 9.8 but the lone Byrne X-Men will come back 9.4. :frustrated:

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, Stronguy said:

Fact: CGC hates giving 9.8s on Byrne X-Men.  I have subbed dozens of them over the years -- 100 books will come back 9.8 but the lone Byrne X-Men will come back 9.4. :frustrated:

any theories as to why? Bi-monthly status for part of the run meaning fewer books on the rack longer and more beat up? Does the census show any trend?

On 7/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

any theories as to why? Bi-monthly status for part of the run meaning fewer books on the rack longer and more beat up? Does the census show any trend?

It's purely anecdotal on my part.  The a random sample of the census seems to show a lower percentage of 9.8s compared to other books from that time period.  I don't know what it is about it.  All I know is, when I sub Byrne X-Men, they always seem to come back lower than expected when the rest of the books are spot-on.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, labratnotincluded said:

Almost 3 months later, the issue has finally been crossover graded.  IT IS A CGC 9.6.   NO GRADER NOTES.  I called and asked what happened and if a pressing would help.  NO GRADER NOTES, NO INDICATION.    

I knew it was a risk, but based on other comments on these boards, the odds were overwhelmingly indicative that crossover grades usually get same when going from CBCS to CGC.    This is now a $2400 loss for me based on current resale value compared to the potential $3000 to $6000 gain in value that a same grade of 9.8 would have netted.  

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

The difference between a 9.8 or a 9.6 can come down to a light non-color breaking finger bend on the cover. Please keep this in mind when attempting crossover grading or even when sending normal submissions to CGC. And it's true that many high grade books will have no notes at all...   

On 7/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, Asmodean said:

Press and resubmit, can't loose much more by trying again.

Unfortunately the human element of grading is unpredictable and like it's been said before the difference between a 9.6 - 9.8 almost negligible but it is there... but it's also subjective, one grader might see a tiny tick in the same place another doesn't, who is correct and who isn't? Might as well ask if when they last had a fresh cup of coffee.

If it went through Express it was likely seen by different graders than if it had gone through the Modern tier. Believe it or not, this could also account for the slight difference in grade...  hm