• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pricing

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some Sonic the Hedgehog advice, and hoping there may be someone here who's an expert!

I just picked up about 80 issues of Sonic the Hedgehog from the 2005 -2015 period. These are mostly from the main series (issues 140 to 230 range), and some Sonic Super Specials. I'm struggling with how to price them...

Overstreet and other traditional guides have them at $3-$4 apiece. eBay sales are much higher, but all "buy it nows". It looks like if they're listed for $10, they sell for $10. If they're listed for $20, they sell for $20, and if they're listed for $35, they sell for $35.

Does anyone know of a "reasonably accurate" pricing list out there somewhere?

And do these sell better as sets or singles?

On 7/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Brock said:

I'm looking for some Sonic the Hedgehog advice, and hoping there may be someone here who's an expert!

I just picked up about 80 issues of Sonic the Hedgehog from the 2005 -2015 period. These are mostly from the main series (issues 140 to 230 range), and some Sonic Super Specials. I'm struggling with how to price them...

Overstreet and other traditional guides have them at $3-$4 apiece. eBay sales are much higher, but all "buy it nows". It looks like if they're listed for $10, they sell for $10. If they're listed for $20, they sell for $20, and if they're listed for $35, they sell for $35.

Does anyone know of a "reasonably accurate" pricing list out there somewhere?

And do these sell better as sets or singles?

There are other online guides. eBay will be the most accurate as to what the current market is.

What if they are listed at $50, will they sell for $50?

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of those series where it's currently impossible to assemble a 9.8 graded collection. (The census clearly shows this as there are some books where NONE are graded.)

So if any of your books are 9.8-level in condition and would be the first to be graded as a 9.8, I would always slab it. Having the only highly graded copy of something doesn't always translate into monetary awards, but someone will always tend to want it.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, valiantman said:

537448917_1216469007_12001.jpg.94bcaa00e6e7b51b8e2ca73611b0f399.jpg

I was under the impression the "SUPER SUBSCRIBER OFFER!" version of this was the second printing, and the "FREE FROM SEGA" was the first printing. I know the census has both first and second printings for #1/4, but ... this slab makes me think that either I have no idea how the printings on this thing work or CGC didn't label all the slabs properly. Or both, frankly.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, sckao said:

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of those series where it's currently impossible to assemble a 9.8 graded collection. (The census clearly shows this as there are some books where NONE are graded.)

So if any of your books are 9.8-level in condition and would be the first to be graded as a 9.8, I would always slab it. Having the only highly graded copy of something doesn't always translate into monetary awards, but someone will always tend to want it.

There's a bit of a range, but they're mostly 8.0 to 9.4. I doubt that any of them would hit a 9.8.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, Real Elijah Snow said:

Research each issue that's available on Ebay

On 8/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, ygogolak said:

There are other online guides. eBay will be the most accurate as to what the current market is.

The online guides mostly say $3 each for NM, and eBay is where I'm getting the sold prices.

I think I will start to list these at sets of 8 to 10 issues and see how they do.

There's a few that will go as singles. For example, I never knew that there was a Sonic/Image Comics crossover in Sonic Super Special #7, with appearances by Spawn, the Maxx, Savage Dragon and many more. It sometimes gets decent prices.

sonic.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, Qalyar said:

I was under the impression the "SUPER SUBSCRIBER OFFER!" version of this was the second printing, and the "FREE FROM SEGA" was the first printing. I know the census has both first and second printings for #1/4, but ... this slab makes me think that either I have no idea how the printings on this thing work or CGC didn't label all the slabs properly. Or both, frankly.

Mycomicshop agrees with you.  https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=471711

Most likely CGC just labeled the 9.9 wrong.

Not sure if Sonic comics have a huge fan base, but obviously if some issues are selling for $35, there's got to be people out there buying them. I would list them as auctions with high opening bids. That way if just one person sees them, they don't sell for too little, but if it is a hard to find book and multiple people see it, it may sell for more.