• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are artists ruining comics?

55 posts in this topic

I don't think the art is objectively bad, but it is quite overblown and retro psychedelic, reminding me of some of the stuff you used to see in the 70s, such as in Heavy Metal magazine.

Full circle, rather than a debate about modern vs old school.

Edited by Ken Aldred

dean ormston's artwork on the brillaintly written BLACK HAMMER is just perfect. while paying homage to the king, it also displays great draftsmanship, composition and storytelling. i dont know that many newish comics but this one was a 10/10 for me all the way. cant wait to see some production company ruin it like netflix did with jupiters legacy, which was another extraordinary book with great artwork. 

also cannot overlook the amazing colorwork of dave stewart, one of the best in the biz for many years now.

4F34AD52-0C09-4BB3-A820-3F1DD30DC94B.webp

F9C6FC86-67DD-415B-81D2-09CF96E89395.webp

24AC6F24-86D0-45AC-8A4C-20ACF4E300AD.webp

Edited by alexgross.com

On 9/2/2021 at 10:49 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I don't think the art is objectively bad, but it is quite overblown and retro psychedelic, reminding me of some of the stuff you used to see in the 70s, such as in Heavy Metal magazine.

Full circle, rather than a debate about modern vs old school.

It's way too busy for me. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, shadroch said:

It's way too busy for me. 

I agree. A little disorientating to look at, and not easy to focus.

Not the kind of comic art I’ve ever really liked.

There's more to comics than mainstream marvel/dc/image crud and who cares about that corporate sh*t anyway? There's so much great stuff being done today outside of that, that I don't know why anyone bothers with any of the marvel/dc sh*t. They are the ones ruining comics not any artists. Just go look at other comics where artists are doing their own stuff and aren't being a slave to some corporation hacking out some stuff as a job. That's the problem.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:39 AM, catman76 said:

There's more to comics than mainstream marvel/dc/image crud and who cares about that corporate sh*t anyway? There's so much great stuff being done today outside of that, that I don't know why anyone bothers with any of the marvel/dc sh*t. They are the ones ruining comics not any artists. Just go look at other comics where artists are doing their own stuff and aren't being a slave to some corporation hacking out some stuff as a job. That's the problem.

I’ve always preferred to have quite broad tastes otherwise it would become stale, especially having read comics for over 40 years.  

I’ve never just restricted myself to Marvel and DC.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, catman76 said:

Because Marvel has some great stuff lately? That being said, I pick up plenty of indie stuff as well.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:36 PM, kav said:

Daniel Warren Johnson-no design sense, no effective use of blacks, mishmash artist.

Daniel Warren Johnson is one of the most vibrant and exciting creators (artist and writer) in comics today.

I think there is so much wrong with your statement above.

I can't recommend Daniel Warren Johnson enough. His storytelling and energy alone lands him in another world beyond most artists.

The fact that you don't like him is actually shocking.

I like you kav. You're an amazing person. But respectfully, I think you're crazy :)

LukeskywalkercommissionRAWWEB.webp

Edited by D2