• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Started Collecting Early 2020

14 posts in this topic

Heh heh, welcome to the boards! I reckon you're going to want unslabbed copies of those last three so you can actually read them...Glad to see some silver in their! 

Yep, it's true you don't need to spend a fortune to get good comics if you're happy to wait and keeping checking for new listings, (or wherever it is you buy your books.) I recently decided to track down all the Marshall Rogers Doctor Strange issues from 1981/82, numbers 48 to 53. Didn't take too long and I got them all for good prices, all in fine or better condition. Don't get too caught up in the 9.8 madness, get books you can really enjoy looking at and build your collection that way. Just having the covers to look at behind plastic isn't really a lot of fun, a bit like having a car you can never drive!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 7/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, mrbarlint said:

Nicely done. Congrats on picking up some nice books. A fun hobby that can be very rewarding, no doubt!

BTW...You may want to see a dermatologist or podiatrist about that toe. 

Lmao, yeah man, I’m a civil construction foreman in south east Texas.  Steel toes make my feet rough, haha.  

On 7/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Heh heh, welcome to the boards! I reckon you're going to want unslabbed copies of those last three so you can actually read them...Glad to see some silver in their! 

Yep, it's true you don't need to spend a fortune to get good comics if you're happy to wait and keeping checking for new listings, (or wherever it is you buy your books.) I recently decided to track down all the Marshall Rogers Doctor Strange issues from 1981/82, numbers 48 to 53. Didn't take too long and I got them all for good prices, all in fine or better condition. Don't get too caught up in the 9.8 madness, get books you can really enjoy looking at and build your collection that way. Just having the covers to look at behind plastic isn't really a lot of fun, a bit like having a car you can never drive!

I’ve actually read the last 3.  All of those slabbed books I bought raw!  

On 7/31/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jared2Hundo said:

Lmao, yeah man, I’m a civil construction foreman in south east Texas.  Steel toes make my feet rough, haha.  

I’ve actually read the last 3.  All of those slabbed books I bought raw!  

Sounds like you're definitely starting out on the right foot! (thumbsu

I’m into it, that X-men comic is underrated 

On 7/31/2021 at 6:53 PM, revat said:

I’m into it, that X-men comic is underrated 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Thank man!  The silver age books are my pride and joy!  Low grade, maybe 4.5 on each.  But yeah, I’ve been here awhile.  But the collection is gettin there!

On 7/31/2021 at 8:21 PM, Jared2Hundo said:

Thank man!  The silver age books are my pride and joy!  Low grade, maybe 4.5 on each.  But yeah, I’ve been here awhile.  But the collection is gettin there!

It's a slippery slope from here my friend! Soon you'll be collecting runs of your favorite character.  Awesome readers will no longer do, and you'll transition to bigger and bigger keys. 

Then you'll start to collecting particular artists and follow their work into new genres and eras. 

Finally you'll take the walk into the Golden Age. You'll be dipping into genres you never thought would appeal to you,  like crime and romance,  but you're overarching appreciation for Matt Baker will lead you down a new unfamiliar path!  You'll be mesmerized by LB Cole's use of color and saying things like,  "man, Schomburg fits alot of junk on a cover,  but it works.." 

Before you know it, the thought of spending 4 figures on 80 year old funny books won't seem crazy.... it will feel necessary.... and you'll never totally scratch that itch. When you think you've bought your grail and nothing else could make you happier, you'll just realize how much you need that prettier more expensive grail.  

So welcome to the club.

Edited by KCOComics