• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining value and rarity of Copper Newsstands
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, Subby1938 said:

You in can trust this . They are 1% of total run . I live here . In Canada you had three major city hubs for comics , Vancouver , Toronto , Montreal . Finding high grade 9.8 Canadians is next to impossible . Hence the major major premiums keys get . 

You don’t have to collect Canadian but if it was hulk 181 variant it would be all the rage 

This is 100% pure unadulterated hokum. No they are not. Do the math. If Amazing Spider-Man 238 had a print run of 500,000 copies - which is not out of the realm of possibility - by your count there would be 5,000 total copies for all of Canada.

BTW - you might also want to talk to Doug Sulipa in Winnipeg, which isn't one of the three cities you list above.

Look at last sale of 9.8 Canadian . It was 7500.00 USD nothing hokum there my friend . Sales don’t lie .

So my stats are slightly off so what . I didn’t expect to get attacked this morning on threads for stating the obvious . For huge keys in 9.8 newstands they are premium compared to regulars and Canadian versions even more . 

Bye now 

Could care less about that dive Winnipeg or Doug’s opinion . Sales data are there . 

Edited by Subby1938

On 8/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, Subby1938 said:

It’s about copper Newsstands so does it not fit into criteria buddy?

I'm not your buddy, guy!

I think they'll keep going up a bit, since people paying a premium for graded copper books aren't on the same wavelength as me.  I've always preferred direct copies, and if speculators want to help keep their price down I'm all for it.

So back to the regular newstand thing. I don't really understand why someone would think having a bar code or a spidy face or whatever matters and why some people will pay  more for one or the other but then again I don't understand why people will pay 2 or 3x or more for a 9.8 over a 9.6 when most people can't tell the difference anyway but the data is there and apparently an arbitrary grade by a so called expert matters to enough people.    

So now the data is showing people are paying more for certain newstands I might not do that but each to their own is my attitude. 

It’s not spec anymore  buddy . It’s been few years of this now and high grade newsstands out perform directs 

The newsstand was just that a comic that was manhandled at 7/11 stores etc and probability of perfect books is low 

ASM 238,239,252,298,299,300,301,316,361 are great examples of huge premiums that’s just spiderman

I thought I would weigh in again. For me newsstand or direct sales doesn't matter for my permanent collection. I'm a completist in that I want all the issues to a series so I can read it. I don't need all the variants 2nd prints Whitman's and everything else in between. Newsstand vs direct does matter though when I want to sell off copies of books I purchased multiples of in the 80's. I bought multiples hoping to sell them for books I still need, which it seems a lot of people did.

I was hoping for someone to shed some light on the matter from personal experience meaning purchases and sales in different parts of the country (and outside of it.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, Subby1938 said:

Could care less about that dive Winnipeg or Doug’s opinion .

I'd really like to suggest quite a few things for you to do with your mouth right now, but I don't want to get banned.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:10 AM, FlyingDonut said:

This is 100% pure unadulterated hokum. No they are not. Do the math. If Amazing Spider-Man 238 had a print run of 500,000 copies - which is not out of the realm of possibility - by your count there would be 5,000 total copies for all of Canada.

BTW - you might also want to talk to Doug Sulipa in Winnipeg, which isn't one of the three cities you list above.

Yeah, Winnipeg is a major comics hub in Canada. Montreal and Vancouver may be major cities, but despite that, they really aren't major comics hubs.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, Brock said:

These discussion always have the potential to go off the rails as people jump onto their hobby horses about whether or not you can estimate the relative rarity of any particular newsstand edition 35 years after the fact. I don't have a dog in that fight.

However, the central question here seems to be whether newsstands have any additional value, and to me the answer is clearly yes. When selling online, I now always identify newsstand copies. They get more views, and they tend to get better prices - which is exactly why people (like me) have started to identify them in their listings.

The premium is not always consistent, but - as has been pointed out - does seem to be substantially higher on key books.

I am of the vintage where we told ourselves that there was no difference in value between direct and newsstand editions, and I understand that crotchety old people (like me) don't like change, and have a tough time accepting that the market has moved in this direction. We scream "hype machine" and "huckster" and "clueless buyers" and yell at the kids to get off the lawn, but the reality is that the market is changing.

Would I personally pay a premium for a newsstand? Probably not, but pretending that others don't is willful ignorance.

Suggesting that the only reason that someone would pay a premium is because they're stupid, or susceptible to hype is explicitly misunderstanding the market. So-called hype and personal preferences about purchases are the only thing that drive the market. I really don't have much time for Todd McFarlane's art, and I can't fully explain why some random McFarlane issue would sell for more than an issue by someone I like (say, Barry Windsor-Smith) without resorting to "hype" and "bandwagon" and "personal preferences". However, the market gives a rat's behind about my personal beliefs, and instead reflects the collective choices of the wider audience. And that collective choice means that even if I'm not as hyped as others about McFarlane art, I have to be aware of it and present it to the market appropriately if I want the best sales result on a book he has drawn. In the same way, the collective choice of the market now seems to favouring newsstands. It doesn't help anybody to whine about that - as a seller, I can only respond to it.

Whether you like McFarlane or BWS is irrelevant, since they didn't become popular (coincidentally? :eyeroll:lol) after massive amounts of misinformation about them started spreading.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, mytastebud said:

I thought I would weigh in again. For me newsstand or direct sales doesn't matter for my permanent collection. I'm a completist in that I want all the issues to a series so I can read it. I don't need all the variants 2nd prints Whitman's and everything else in between. Newsstand vs direct does matter though when I want to sell off copies of books I purchased multiples of in the 80's. I bought multiples hoping to sell them for books I still need, which it seems a lot of people did.

I was hoping for someone to shed some light on the matter from personal experience meaning purchases and sales in different parts of the country (and outside of it.

My answer remains the most relevant. (shrug)

Some people pay a premium for a distribution method.  I admit to paying more for Marvel UK price variants.  I rarely go out of my way for newsstands.  Some people are all about it, some are not.  For my collection, it really doesn't matter if I have a direct or newsstand.  Except for ASM 328.  I want a 9.8 newsstand of that because it was the first comic I ever read.  

On 8/3/2021 at 11:20 PM, Subby1938 said:

Winnipeg is murder capital of Canada

That would actually be Thunder Bay, at 5.56 per 100,000.

Winnipeg gets a bad rap, and whether you like a city or not is always a matter of personal taste, but every time I'm in Winnipeg, I'm amazed by the density of comic shops, the number of big dealers, and the availability of comics in other venues (bookstores, antique shops, etc.). For some reason, it has become a genuine comic hub.

Vancouver is definitely not a comic town, though it has a couple of decent shops. Contrary to some earlier suggestions, though, I do think Montreal is a bit of a hub as well... there's a lot of activity, but especially so if you add in the French-language BD community.