• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Curl - deduction?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I know this is broad, but trying to determine cost/benefit of press for books I'm ok letting slide with lower threshold grades.   

Assuming no other defects, how much of a (ballpark) deduction does slight Spine Curl/Bend get?    

Have a batch of copper age comics (~1988-92) that have no other flaws; no creases, color break, scuffing, divot, stress lines, etc. Just a slight compression roll along spine you get from stacking. Curious if you can anticipate that to be like a 9.6 or if it's egregious enough to drop to like 9.0-9.2.

Thanks!

edit: added pics of sample books' spines. #5 is the worst as a double sized issue seeing more compression.

spine_curl.jpg

Edited by Jaywalker0
added pic

This question is better suited for the Grading and Restoration Issues forum as around these parts we grade comicbooks with supplied pictures.

Still, I'll give you my opinion and I'll welcome pics of any of these books and give you a guess at their grade.

Overstreet Guidelines would allow what you are describing around 8.5. Higher grades are to have a flat spine with no roll. CGC isn't as tough.

This question kinda came up in another PGM the other day. I mentioned I have a 9.8 with a slight spine roll I figured also came from stacking books. Here's a pic:

1387002617_Wolverine47(CGC9.8).thumb.jpg.5e63e481934dfc0fc93dc100f84c93c6.jpg

You should be able to see it running along the spine near Wolverine's side. It doesn't extend the entire length of the spine.

This book was graded a few years back. CGC standards may have changed. However, if your books are otherwise flawless, I would expect little to no deduction for such a slight spine roll.

IMO. Others may have a different take on this. And most collectors will likely tell you press any book prior to submitting. The expectation nowadays is to maximize the quality of any submitted book the best you can.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by grendelbo

On 8/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, grendelbo said:

This question is better suited for the Grading and Restoration Issues forum as around these parts we grade comicbooks with supplied pictures.

Still, I'll give you my opinion and I'll welcome pics of any of these books and give you a guess at their grade.

Overstreet Guidelines would allow what you are describing around 8.5. Higher grades are to have a flat spine with no roll. CGC isn't as tough.

This question kinda came up in another PGM the other day. I mentioned I have a 9.8 with a slight spine roll I figured also came from stacking books. Here's a pic:

You should be able to see it running along the spine near Wolverine's side. It doesn't extend the entire length of the spine.

Thanks! I'll move the topic.
And I do see exactly what you are referring to, which is exactly where these books of mine land as far as...severity(?)
The morphing standards as to how penalizing this could be was exactly what my concern would be. Similar to how Marvel Chipping used to not be and now is.