• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are My Options?
6 6

57 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, Ryan. said:

I've literally watched my carrier pull up in her truck, scan a package whilst still in the truck, put the regular letter mail in my mailbox, which is street level, and drive off without actually exiting the truck to walk the package up to my door.

That's when you have a bucket of rocks by the door handy and make it rain on the mail truck while chasing it down lol

I spoke to the manager this morning. She showed me the signature, and I assured her it wasn't mine. She said that they no longer collect signatures, due to COVID. Being the smart-aleck that I am, I said, "Then why do you keep offering the service if it's not being implemented the way it was intended?" She gave a puzzled look and then said, "That's above my pay grade."

I also found out that there was a substitute carrier yesterday. I spoke to our regular carrier this morning, and he said that he had a good idea where it might have been delivered. So, knock on wood, it will arrive today. :wishluck:

Our regular carrier does a very good job for us. If something won't fit in the mailbox, he comes up and sets it on our front step. That's why I give him a $20 tip every Christmas.

Edited by Math Teacher

We have USPS informed delivery where they send you scans of all your mail and status of your packages. We also installed one of these for smaller items:

81wwffQitPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Packages tend to still be left on our porch though and they'll ring/knock but not stay for a signature like it was said earlier. (Since the pandemic.)  Amazon will send you a photo of the package usually as well to show you where they left it.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

I also found out that there was a substitute carrier yesterday.

I can always tell when we have a substitute carrier because we're more likely to have mail addressed to the same house number, but the street on the other half of our loop.  Luckily, I can reach their mailbox from my car window.

I'm just happy on rainy days when the carrier puts the package under the awning of my front porch instead of leaving it in a puddle in my driveway. 

One day the mail will just daily dump all the mail in a big pile in the middle of the city and citizens will come to sort through it for theirs.  every day.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

I spoke to the manager this morning. She showed me the signature, and I assured her it wasn't mine. She said that they no longer collect signatures, due to COVID. Being the smart- that I am, I said, "Then why do you keep offering the service if it's not being implemented the way it was intended?" She gave a puzzled look and then said, "That's above my pay grade."

I also found out that there was a substitute carrier yesterday. I spoke to our regular carrier this morning, and he said that he had a good idea where it might have been delivered. So, knock on wood, it will arrive today. :wishluck:

Our regular carrier does a very good job for us. If something won't fit in the mailbox, he comes up and sets it on our front step. That's why I give him a $20 tip every Christmas.

Always tip your service providers. Mail carriers, (hint) pest control technician (hint).🥰

On 8/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, oakman29 said:

Always tip your service providers. Mail carriers, (hint) pest control technician (hint).🥰

dont tip your exterminator and you could wake up with a rat head in your bed.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, lizards2 said:

Sometimes the PO deliverer will scan it as delivered, and then realize they should not leave the package, due to a variety of reasons, and bring it back for delivery the next day. I hope it works out that way for you!

As a mail carrier I can tell you there is never really a reason for not delivering it.  When this happens it is most likely the carrier delivered it to the wrong address and doesn't find out until you or the other person calls to let the PO know that it has been misdelivered.  He/she then has to go out and get it and deliver it to the proper address.  Even if the carrier did decide they shouldn't deliver it after they scanned it there are other options on the scanner for that carrier to scan it again so the correct info shows on tracking.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, Jemin said:

As a mail carrier I can tell you there is never really a reason for not delivering it.  When this happens it is most likely the carrier delivered it to the wrong address and doesn't find out until you or the other person calls to let the PO know that it has been misdelivered.  He/she then has to go out and get it and deliver it to the proper address.  Even if the carrier did decide they shouldn't deliver it after they scanned it there are other options on the scanner for that carrier to scan it again so the correct info shows on tracking.

As a mail receiver, I can tell you that it has happened to me, regardless of postal regs or protocol. Your mileage may vary.

Any update from to OP?

On 8/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

I spoke to the manager this morning. She showed me the signature, and I assured her it wasn't mine. She said that they no longer collect signatures, due to COVID. Being the smart- that I am, I said, "Then why do you keep offering the service if it's not being implemented the way it was intended?" She gave a puzzled look and then said, "That's above my pay grade."

On 8/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, lizards2 said:

As a mail receiver, I can tell you that it has happened to me, regardless of postal regs or protocol. Your mileage may vary.

Any update from to OP?

9 posts up :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/6/2021 at 10:16 AM, Ryan. said:

I'm just happy on rainy days when the carrier puts the package under the awning of my front porch instead of leaving it in a puddle in my driveway. 

I purchased a large box with a lid that sits on the front porch - it appears to be for lawn equipment, but is actually for parcels. I drilled holes in the bottom, to allow any moisture that gets in the box to pass thru.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, lizards2 said:

I purchased a large box with a lid that sits on the front porch - it appears to be for lawn equipment, but is actually for parcels. I drilled holes in the bottom, to allow any moisture that gets in the box to pass thru.

It's important not to let your box get too moist. 

:eek:

:facepalm:

hm

:banana:

On 8/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, Ryan. said:

It's important not to let your box get too moist. 

:eek:

:facepalm:

hm

:banana:

thats what-

On 8/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, lizards2 said:

Any update from to OP?

What I'm telling you is that carrier probably misdelivered it and then picked it up at the house and then brought to you a few days later.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

Someone lied to you then. The correct procedure is to knock on the door and when the customer answers, tell them that we have a a piece of mail/parcel that requires a signature but with covid we cannot allow anyone to touch the scanners and as long as you agree to accept the package we will sign it for you.  If there is no one home, scan the item attempted and leave a notice for the customer to come to the office and pick it up.  This isn't a regional policy.  It is a national mandate.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:57 PM, Tnexus said:

I believe the tracking scan is geotagged too, so they should be able to verify if it was delivered to the right house or not.

It is geotagged.  The supervisor or postmaster should be able to pull it up and tell within a few feet where the package was scanned. Delivered could be another matter though if they are not following procedure.  The carrier shouldn't be scanning the item until it is where it is to be delivered whether that's your mailbox, your door, or another designated area.