• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting books to CGC

9 posts in this topic

Hello all, I haven't submitted any books for probably 8 years to CGC. At that time, I joined for a year and received a coupon for I believe 4 books to be graded free in the standard tier? I am considering sending 15-20 books to CGC and was wandering if anyone has a best practices? I know how to print a form and submit but then I have seen talk and heard of you all submitting through a local dealer or shop. Just wandering if someone could explain the advantages and disadvantages to both if there is? Also, I have never used a "shipping kit", are they required? i did old school 5 books bagged and boarded between cardboard. Thank you for your time. 

Edited by Dino-Mutt

There generally isn't much advantage to shipping through a shop.  You can't track your order without bothering the shop and generally you don't get a price break. 

The advantage is for someone new to submitting or just doesn't want to be bothered with the forms.  

Now, there are pressers that will press your books and then submit them. The advantage there is your books will travel less. The presser currently pressing my books will actually drive them to CGC. 

You don't need shipping kits. Cardboard works just as well. 

On 8/8/2021 at 7:55 AM, Dino-Mutt said:

Courage, r u referring to the times at cgc? I did notice the web site was now processing books from May I believe…

It's cgc TAT + more if you want pressing, through a quality presser. 

The link I sent you is for a well known and respected board member. He is the guy you want handling your books. Unfortunately, he's the guy EVERYONE wants handling their books, so he's backed up for months before you even sniff cgc.

Same deal if you use CCS (CGCs pressing service).  

And sure you can find pressers with a quicker turn around time... but not all pressers are created equal. 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:35 PM, Dino-Mutt said:

Hello all, I haven't submitted any books for probably 8 years to CGC. At that time, I joined for a year and received a coupon for I believe 4 books to be graded free in the standard tier? I am considering sending 15-20 books to CGC and was wandering if anyone has a best practices? I know how to print a form and submit but then I have seen talk and heard of you all submitting through a local dealer or shop. Just wandering if someone could explain the advantages and disadvantages to both if there is? Also, I have never used a "shipping kit", are they required? i did old school 5 books bagged and boarded between cardboard. Thank you for your time. 

The advantage of submitting under your own account is being able to deal directly with CGC. Tracking your statuses, and dealing with any potential issues, will be problematic if you submit with a dealer.