• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure 462. An overlooked gem.

18 posts in this topic

This was one of my favourite issues growing up... it definitely resonated.

Ironically, yesterday, my 16 year old son was asking about whether “death” issues were something the market valued. In thinking about, I suggested that maybe they used to get a premium, but they don’t seem to any more.

maybe too many resurrections? Too many multiverses and alternate dimensions to just bring back a very similar character? Maybe too little concern about the structured continuity required for big events to have meaning?

i’m not Sure, but I agree with you that this book deserves more attention than it gets.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, Brock said:

Ironically, yesterday, my 16 year old son was asking about whether “death” issues were something the market valued. In thinking about, I suggested that maybe they used to get a premium, but they don’t seem to any more.

maybe too many resurrections? Too many multiverses and alternate dimensions to just bring back a very similar character? Maybe too little concern about the structured continuity required for big events to have meaning?

i’m not Sure, but I agree with you that this book deserves more attention than it gets.

Your son brought up a valid point. Death issues should retain some value. If only they would keep them dead. During "Crisis On Infinite Earths", we saw a bunch of top tier heroes give their lives like Supergirl and Barry Allen. As we bought the issues monthly, we were actually surprised they did it but we also kinda knew they would be back somehow. And they were. So, it becomes anti-climatic. We can't mourn then be wistful later on remembering our heroes. So, to me at least, it sort of besmirches the memory of the original deaths.

They never did bring back Earth Two Batman, though. And so I feel properly about it. An iconic character who started with a pistol and let criminals fall into vats off acid meets his end by bear hugging a Bruce Wayne hating human imbued with power he couldn't handle. Man! When I read that off the rack I was flipping out.

When I was a boy reading comics, it was the death of Ferro Lad and Karate Kid that remained permanent. We always expected them to be resurrected but they never were. I think there WAS one story where Karate Kid returned as a ghost of some sort in one story. I don't remember the outcome. But it was cool because they died pretty much the same way Batman of Earth II did. Heroically. Bring them back from the dead and they lose that.

Then, they did us again at the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan when Bones said "He's not REALLY dead. As long as we remember him."  Uh huh. Oh ok. That's why we fired him at the Genesis planet instead of bringing him directly to Vulcan. And not bother phoning Sarek.

"Hello, Sarek? Yes. Yeah. Jim Kirk. JIM KIRK. Yes, that's right. HAHAHAHA! Yeah bad signal. ANYHOO...uuuummmmm...don't really know how to say this but Spock's dead. Yes. Well, there was this thing with Khan Noonian Singh....Yeah I did. I DID! That was years ago and there was some confusion last week about which Alpha Seti we were on. Yeah...no the Federation never TOLD us Seti Alpha VI had exploded and so we set down on what we thought was Seti Alpha VI but was in REALITY Seti Alpha V and....yeah....yes.....Well you are RIGHT! We should have known where we were and the implosion of Seti Alpha VI should have been big news but.....Mmmhmm...Yes...Mmhh...Well, that's neither here or there, now. Spock's dead and we put him in a torpedo tube and fired him at a vacant planet the Federation has been doing genetic experiments on that no one really knows about. Yeah....just calm down Sarek....Sarek....yes.Yes, it DOES sound kinda ridiculous when one says it out loud but there were bagpipes at the ceremony, you know? Uh? An ancient Earth wind instrument....yeah. Go back and get him? Well, we left about an hour ago and at Warp 5 we are about 2,000,000 miles away now and....yeah. Ok. Security Council? Oh, come on. We don't need to go down that path, right? Look......listen.....LISSSIIIIINNNN! McCoy has been acting a little squirrely so I'll tell you what. At some point in the next week or so, I'll give you a jingle and see what we can do about Spock's body. Although, y'know I dunno WHAT that tube is gong to look like. I mean, we created an atmosphere around that planet and we fired him pretty hard into that, so.....you know.....yeah...yes....Yeah not really SURE if the tube vaporized when it hit the atmosphere or what but......Alright. I said ALRIGHT. I'll call you in a few days....."

228414802_911046809491681_3950288969391607225_n.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

Great topic!

Yep very difficult to believe a book this significant to Comics History + the Batman legend, and extremely condition sensitive is now overlooked in these days of all things 1st issue or 1st appearance only.

Picked up my first copy as child out of a 50 cent section at one of my earliest visits to a comic book shop.  It was like finding treasure albeit a sad one given the story content.  Cover dated April 1979, indicia dated March-April 1979, the comic was on-sale in Dec 1978. For DC at that time Superman was the top dawg, earlier that year the GA Superman received a Wedding issue, then a big budget motion picture, but the GA Batman was killed off fighting a super-natural based villain :(

My scans are crappy,  the condition of the book is not :)

Thanks to Vane for getting this comic my way!

adventure462.thumb.jpg.c207cc47f726b3cad09121423b19fbd6.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Adventure 462 is low population for a key book in 9.8,9.6 and 9.4  - Yet 9.4's, which on this highly condition sensitive book is HIGH grade, sit on eBay at $140.

Perhaps if it was billed as the 1st appearance of the dead Earth II / Golden Age Batman it woudl be in higher demand? Or 1st cover appearance of a crying Huntress?

image.thumb.png.7b2837094ce3af0a50189972513d9b4e.png

P.S. It's always bothered me that Wonder Woman's disembodied head is smiling.

Edited by 35CentEra

On 8/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, 35CentEra said:

Adventure 462 is low population for a key book in 9.8,9.6 and 9.4  - Yet 9.4's, which for this highly condition sensitive book is HIGH grade, sit on eBay at $140.

Perhaps if it was billed as the 1st appearance of the dead Earth II / Golden Age Batman it woudl be in higher demand? Or 1st cover appearance of a crying Huntress?

image.thumb.png.7b2837094ce3af0a50189972513d9b4e.png

P.S. It's always bothered me that Wonder Woman's disembodied head is smiling.

I have always disliked the disembodied head thing on this book but that's what they did by way of advertising in the late 1970's.

"Dead Batman PLUS all of your favorite stars! Wonder Woman! The Flash! Uhhhh. OK! Metamorpho! And everyone's favorite fish-out-of-water: AQUAMAN!!!!

I agree, though. The floatie heads are WAY not needed here. ONLY place I appreciate floatie heads are the disembodied children's heads found on 1950's Ice Cream, popcorn or french fry containers gotten at movie theaters. Giving the side eye to their favorite confection. Frozen in time in a state of eternal pre-munching bliss.

Let's all go to the lobby:

Floating/Disembodied heads were very popular on 1970's Comic Covers both Marvel and DC and early-mid 1960's Topps League Leader type cards.  I've always found them to be a bit creepy and unsettling. Certainly no selling point for me. 

However, as DC mostly did in the early 1980's, if neck and or tops of torso are shown the unsettling aspect for me goes away.

Example:

image.png.26b7d3641a9ca1ea68e50cf976af7050.png

image.png.9cd4c32af2e922c7667048c15f1f3469.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, MAR1979 said:

Floating/Disembodied heads were very popular on 1970's Comic Covers both Marvel and DC and early-mid 1960's Topps League Leader type cards.  I've always found them to be a bit creepy and unsettling. Certainly no selling point for me. 

However, as DC mostly did in the early 1980's, if neck and or tops of torso are shown the unsettling aspect for me goes away.

Example:

image.png.26b7d3641a9ca1ea68e50cf976af7050.png

image.png.9cd4c32af2e922c7667048c15f1f3469.png

Yeah! And they all seem to be craning their necks like they are buried in an anthill or are being reborn or something.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, Brock said:

The only death that I can think of that actually mattered was when it dealt with Superman. The Death of Superman garnered a lot of media attention and the comic did end up selling over 6 million copies.

Edited by Terry_JSA

On 8/9/2021 at 7:13 PM, Terry_JSA said:

The only death that I can think of that actually mattered was when it dealt with Superman. The Death of Superman garnered a lot of media attention and the comic did end up selling over 6 million copies.

Mattered? Yeah, I don't know. Even though Superman died, everyone knew damned well he wasn't going to stay that way. They made a ton of money doing that and I imagine it only fooled the very gullible. What's the issue worth now? $35?

It might have been easier in 1979 to lose a Batman since they had another one to spare. But still, that was the GA Batman of Earth II that went. They never brought him back and if I remember correctly, Robin and Huntress had a bit of a tiff at the end of Ad462. Didn't Robin feel like he should become Batman to keep the image alive and Huntress was like "What are you doing?" Robin remained Robin and they died almost together during Crisis. At least that Robin died heroically instead of getting whacked to death with a crowbar. Then they couldn't even keep that done and had to bring Todd back via the Lazarus Pit, I think.

Other than the disembodied heads, the only other piffling criticism I have of the cover is where Alfred was positioned. He should have been front and center with the rest of them. Not hanging back like a guest or servant. He knew Wayne best next to Selina and Grayson. Knew him better than Power Girl anyway.

I just remember in 1979 the issue came and went. I was like "What? No one's going to talk about it?" I mean, I didn't even see it coming. Guess I should have. Better than dying of cancer, I guess. Reminds me of the John Wayne movie "The Shootist". His character had cancer as well and upon the insinuation of his doctor, sort of committed suicide by outlaw instead of laying around wasting away in pain. That was 1979 as well. Hmmmmm.....

Edited by Randall Ries

Always liked the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths DC multiverse.  A shame they felt they had to do away with it because it was too "confusing to readers."  But then Marvel built out their multiverse (Earth 616, right?)  in the comics and now the movies have the Spider-verse and Multiverse of Madness.  Apparently DC has gotten back on board as well with multiple earths again, including as I understand it in the upcoming Flash film.

So this book has two things working against it:

- After the first Crisis on Infinite Earths, it was stated the Earth 2 duplicates of the surviving characters never even existed.  Kind of hard to invest any importance to a death issue of a character that never existed.

-And after the 1992 death of Superman was undone, no one will ever believe any death in comics is ever permanent.  Used to be the rule was if you didn't see the body, the character wasn't really dead.  Writers like Roy Thomas and Geoff Johns were expert at coming up with convoluted ways to bring back older characters.  Now you don't even need to bother with a convoluted explanation, just re-boot the continuity if your previous writers have painted you into a corner.

Folks I'd like to mention that the Earth II Batman was the Golden Age Batman. 

Everything's been done and undone and done again near infinitum with DC.  I dropped off that treadmill the week before "New 52".  I'm still a late 60's through mid 80's (heavy on 78-80) collector but not a new book reader

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Folks I'd like to mention that the Earth II Batman was the Golden Age Batman. 

Everything's been done and undone and done again near infinitum with DC.  I dropped off that treadmill the week before "New 52".  I'm still a late 60's through mid 80's (heavy on 78-80) collector but not a new book reader

Continuity has been thrown out the window.