• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Walk Thru" tier -- who opens the "holy grail" mail?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, Pantodude said:

Right.  This thread is about whether the seemingly more frequent instances of this human error are due to how CGC is staffing that frontline (since I didn't hear about such things happening to the same person on two separate submissions one month apart).  If THAT is the reason (having newly hired, inexperienced people open and then handle packages with expensive books), then I'm staying on the fence until experience or another remedy is to be had.  If it was just a fluke, I am okay with dealing with what (pre-backlog) was a very unlikely risk of damage before any services are even performed.   

What metrics do we have to suggest that something is occurring 'more frequently'?

On 8/9/2021 at 9:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What metrics do we have to suggest that something is occurring 'more frequently'?

I edited my post to add that proper handling of comic books, both before and after packaging, is a like a science in the hobby, with many dos and don'ts and best practices.  Anway, to answer your immediate question, initially i was appalled at learing about those two horror stories, which prompted me to start this thread before I continued with my plans to send 5-6 raws.  But in this thread, GG refers to "numerous instances of one nightmare after another."   GG is a solid source, no?  (shrug)  Anyway, I qualified my remark with "seemingly more frequent instances."  :nyah:   At the end of the day, whether more frequent or not, it would be comforting to know that at least the walk-thru packages are NOT being opened/handled by the new frontline hires at CGC.  You would think the two horror stories in question would have prompted that change at least.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/9/2021 at 9:43 AM, Pantodude said:

I edited my post to add that proper handling of comic books, both before and after packaging, is a like a science in the hobby, with many dos and don'ts and best practices.  Anway, to answer your immediate question, initially i was appalled at learing about those two horror stories, which prompted me to start this thread before I continued with my plans to send 5-6 raws.  But in this thread, GG refers to "numerous instances of one nightmare after another."   GG is a solid source, no?  (shrug)  Anyway, I qualified my remark with "seemingly more frequent instances."  :nyah:   At the end of the day, whether more frequent or not, it would be comforting to know that at least the walk-thru packages are NOT being opened/handled by the new frontline hires at CGC.  You would think the two horror stories in question would have prompted that change at least.  

Paul is one source, but I wouldn't use any single source to deduce CGC's current operational excellence (or lack thereof).

It seems like a question for CGC, but you're asking people who are not CGC employees.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 8/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Paul is one source, but I wouldn't use any single source to deduce CGC's current operational excellence (or lack thereof).

It seems like a question for CGC, but you're asking people who are not CGC employees.

I hear you.  I was hoping some big dogs here might have already known how CGC did things in the past (assuming nothing had changed since prior to the backlog), or noticed a disturbing trend and inquired about the same before now.   If I need to submit, I might put CGC on the spot to elaborate on this, but i am now leaning toward hitting the pause button.  It's just for my PC anyway; submitting can wait a year while I observe whether anyone raises similar complaints in the coming months.  Honestly, I always assumed CGC used vets to open the more expensive packages, and what happened (even if only twice in the span of a month), would not have happened with vets, I would like to think.   

On 8/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, JZQX said:

So CGC has been in business for 20 years and have slabbed 5 million comics and you've allegedly heard 2 horror stories?

That's the definition of fluke. 

Hey Genius.  That's why I am asking around for other folks' experience and whether they know one way or the other.  We all hope it's a fluke.  I'd rather not assume it was, that's all.  Have a good one.  

On 8/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, Pantodude said:

I hear you.  I was hoping some big dogs here might have already known how CGC did things in the past (assuming nothing had changed since prior to the backlog), or noticed a disturbing trend and inquired about the same before now.   If I need to submit, I might put CGC on the spot to elaborate on this, but i am now leaning toward hitting the pause button.  It's just for my PC anyway; submitting can wait a year while I observe whether anyone raises similar complaints in the coming months.  Honestly, I always assumed CGC used vets to open the more expensive packages, and what happened (even if only twice in the span of a month), would not have happened with vets, I would like to think.   

I believe the pandemic has exacerbated some of these problems. More submissions and an increased amount of new hires would, in my mind, be a contributing factor. And I'm not sure how many "vets" there are in receiving...  hm