• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Giant Old School Comic Show - August 21, 2021 - Concord NH

24 posts in this topic

I used to do reasonably extensive con reports, but just haven't been into it for a while, so I ain't got no photos.

I had been looking forward to this show but was less in the mood as the date approached. On Friday, I bit the bullet and bought the costly early admission pass so that I could get home earlier, and also to insure I got up and out early.

While waiting in line, I couldn't help but listen to the fellow behind me explain to his buddy about his home pressing techniques. He only does Silver Age books, because with newer books "the pages stick together like an issue of Playboy." Given the length of time he leaves his books in a press, I'm not surprised. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Anyways, I usually head to Jim Payette's table first, but paused at the nice wall books at Zapp Comics booth and picked up a mid-grade X-Men #10, which I keep missing on ebay and the auction sites. I bought a small stack from Payette and then made the rounds.

Superworld had an extra impressive wall with lots of nice Atlas and PCH; Harley likewise had some sweet GA and Atomic Age. The Reeces featured fancy slabs galore; Dave and Adam's Card World had a much smaller setup than usual. I'm under the impression that Boston area/Northeast buyers may be a chintzy lot compared to the usual clientele for national level dealers. I probably fit the bill; I tend to favor smaller local dealers, as I find better deals although the big boys are more likely to have the big books.

Gripes: dealers who can't be arsed to alphabetize their inventory, dealers who set up a table configuration like a prison cell (especially in the Covid era), dealers whose entire inventory is a percentage off the marked price. I don't want to have to make a calculation for every book I pull out to determine whether the "discount" puts it within FMV.

I didn't spend any time on Artists Alley but was glad that Mike Royer was there. He's good with the funny stories, I met him a few years back.

The biggest problem was the ventilation, or lack thereof. The A/C was on the fritz, and the hall was like a sauna. We're in the middle of period of sky high dew points and it was not comfortable. I'm reasonably fit but was sweating just flipping through comics. After about 75 minutes, I'd had my fill though I hung around a bit more and made another pass.

Attendance seemed a bit lower than usual, which was fine with me given the temperature and the uptick in the virus.

The heat coupled with the threat of incoming Henri didn’t stop New England comic collectors yesterday. The crowd was not as big as previous events, which I think was due to several different factors (pandemic, local street fair, comic market cooling down, et al). 

It’s no surprise that fairly priced keys, wall books and first appearances were our best sellers at the show. We also sold stacks and stacks of books priced $1-$20. There were many run completionists shopping around, several customers had lists they were checking off. Elfquest books sold well due to the Pinis headlining the show. As always, comics featuring characters from movies, cartoons, TV shows and video games were popular. Our notable sales include Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel 1, ASM 301, Avengers 196, Raphael 1, Secret Wars 8. Another sales note I would make is that we sold our entire stock of MOKF as well as other issues featuring Shang Chi.

I always have a great time at this event checking out all the fantastic comics. It’s also nice chatting with all the vendors, artists and attendees. Looking forward to the next show.

Setup day and our booth:
ACB7CCC1-36CA-4677-A3CD-F2D0A54ABC8F.thumb.jpeg.057630b3da6012ca0a9b54facba5c209.jpeg0A51B98F-6E24-41B5-946B-5143EF696915.thumb.jpeg.cc18b45bf4bdfa8dc464add2b3953c15.jpeg
1FF1C116-1254-4DFC-A19A-60FF9AD4E565.thumb.jpeg.3c88fece6747e37f7b14a483c46a84b0.jpeg26622E9D-48A1-45A5-9750-07364EC03D5B.thumb.jpeg.a4c3b7ae9b93b1b4682e595d35d14cdf.jpeg39DAF282-555A-4012-9B79-B6ED34A1C442.thumb.jpeg.74a93fbe96787e86b0f726d811fe92d6.jpeg

Here are some cool books I saw on my walk around the show floor😎 
FF006F15-36A0-4C09-AF4F-AEACA303BE90.thumb.jpeg.73db969df94ce9e0d09cd5e56fa5ecc8.jpeg
(Bob Kane file copy, .5 Voldemort)
592A0A26-5760-424F-B42B-8800F76783CB.thumb.jpeg.8359fdde884e23e357db8acf7c4c8229.jpeg

Edited by AmazingComics413

On 8/22/2021 at 8:07 AM, Pontoon said:

I used to do reasonably extensive con reports, but just haven't been into it for a while, so I ain't got no photos.

I had been looking forward to this show but was less in the mood as the date approached. On Friday, I bit the bullet and bought the costly early admission pass so that I could get home earlier, and also to insure I got up and out early.

While waiting in line, I couldn't help but listen to the fellow behind me explain to his buddy about his home pressing techniques. He only does Silver Age books, because with newer books "the pages stick together like an issue of Playboy." Given the length of time he leaves his books in a press, I'm not surprised. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Anyways, I usually head to Jim Payette's table first, but paused at the nice wall books at Zapp Comics booth and picked up a mid-grade X-Men #10, which I keep missing on ebay and the auction sites. I bought a small stack from Payette and then made the rounds.

Superworld had an extra impressive wall with lots of nice Atlas and PCH; Harley likewise had some sweet GA and Atomic Age. The Reeces featured fancy slabs galore; Dave and Adam's Card World had a much smaller setup than usual. I'm under the impression that Boston area/Northeast buyers may be a chintzy lot compared to the usual clientele for national level dealers. I probably fit the bill; I tend to favor smaller local dealers, as I find better deals although the big boys are more likely to have the big books.

Gripes: dealers who can't be arsed to alphabetize their inventory, dealers who set up a table configuration like a prison cell (especially in the Covid era), dealers whose entire inventory is a percentage off the marked price. I don't want to have to make a calculation for every book I pull out to determine whether the "discount" puts it within FMV.

I didn't spend any time on Artists Alley but was glad that Mike Royer was there. He's good with the funny stories, I met him a few years back.

The biggest problem was the ventilation, or lack thereof. The A/C was on the fritz, and the hall was like a sauna. We're in the middle of period of sky high dew points and it was not comfortable. I'm reasonably fit but was sweating just flipping through comics. After about 75 minutes, I'd had my fill though I hung around a bit more and made another pass.

Attendance seemed a bit lower than usual, which was fine with me given the temperature and the uptick in the virus.

Thanks so much for your report!

Being a west coast collector, been a long time since I’ve been back east for a show. Payette is one of my favorite dealers. I’ve happily bought from him for years through the mail. Would love to dig his boxes! He doesn’t travel so so I wouldn’t get that chance. 

Great to see these smaller shows. Great for comic collectors. I would think the current weather and health situation would have a bearing on this show. No AC on the East Coast in the summer is a BAD thing. 

Glad you got to go and have a little fun. Hope everybody was safe!

On 8/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, AmazingComics413 said:

The heat coupled with the threat of incoming Henri didn’t stop New England comic collectors yesterday. The crowd was not as big as previous events, which I think was due to several different factors (pandemic, local street fair, comic market cooling down, et al). 

It’s no surprise that fairly priced keys, wall books and first appearances were our best sellers at the show. We also sold stacks and stacks of books priced $1-$20. There were many run completionists shopping around, several customers had lists they were checking off. Elfquest books sold well due to the Pinis headlining the show. As always, comics featuring characters from movies, cartoons, TV shows and video games were popular. Our notable sales include Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel 1, ASM 301, Avengers 196, Raphael 1, Secret Wars 8. Another sales note I would make is that we sold our entire stock of MOKF as well as other issues featuring Shang Chi.

I always have a great time at this event checking out all the fantastic comics. It’s also nice chatting with all the vendors, artists and attendees. Looking forward to the next show.

Setup day and our booth:
ACB7CCC1-36CA-4677-A3CD-F2D0A54ABC8F.thumb.jpeg.057630b3da6012ca0a9b54facba5c209.jpeg0A51B98F-6E24-41B5-946B-5143EF696915.thumb.jpeg.cc18b45bf4bdfa8dc464add2b3953c15.jpeg
1FF1C116-1254-4DFC-A19A-60FF9AD4E565.thumb.jpeg.3c88fece6747e37f7b14a483c46a84b0.jpeg26622E9D-48A1-45A5-9750-07364EC03D5B.thumb.jpeg.a4c3b7ae9b93b1b4682e595d35d14cdf.jpeg39DAF282-555A-4012-9B79-B6ED34A1C442.thumb.jpeg.74a93fbe96787e86b0f726d811fe92d6.jpeg

Here are some cool books I saw on my walk around the show floor😎 
FF006F15-36A0-4C09-AF4F-AEACA303BE90.thumb.jpeg.73db969df94ce9e0d09cd5e56fa5ecc8.jpeg
(Bob Kane file copy, .5 Voldemort)
592A0A26-5760-424F-B42B-8800F76783CB.thumb.jpeg.8359fdde884e23e357db8acf7c4c8229.jpeg

Thanks for your report! Glad you had a good show. 

I did a small local show a couple months ago. I did of course sell a number of keys and pretty wall books but I also did a VERY strong business on cheaper under $50. run and lessor books. Everything and I mean everything sells for the right price. I had people hole filling in their want lists all day. Not just a book or two but stacks of them. Really adds up at the end of the day and a LOT less books to bring home. 

If priced right, even Dell Westerns, funny animals, humor and long dead titles like Metamorpho and the Atom moved well. I actually did a brisk business on stuff like this. Maybe I was the only one who had them. 

Wow! Kane’s Tec #27!  That is a book rarely seen at a con. Who was selling it? 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for your report! Glad you had a good show. 

I did a small local show a couple months ago. I did of course sell a number of keys and pretty wall books but I also did a VERY strong business on cheaper under $50. run and lessor books. Everything and I mean everything sells for the right price. I had people hole filling in their want lists all day. Not just a book or two but stacks of them. Really adds up at the end of the day and a LOT less books to bring home. 

If priced right, even Dell Westerns, funny animals, humor and long dead titles like Metamorpho and the Atom moved well. I actually did a brisk business on stuff like this. Maybe I was the only one who had them. 

Wow! Kane’s Tec #27!  That is a book rarely seen at a con. Who was selling it? 

Glad to hear you’re doing local shows out there, keep up the good spirit 💪 
(Dells, Gold Key, Whitman, Archie titles and the like also sell well for us as long as we keep the prices fair. I have quite a few repeat customers for these books. Overall they’re looking for $5 and under mid to low grade copies, not books like Space Ghost 1 or a Scrooge key.)

That was Mike Carbo’s Detective 27, I did not ask if it was for sale. Regardless of all the comic drama, I always check out his table. He has some very cool books as well as unique and hard to find items.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:08 AM, AmazingComics413 said:

Glad to hear you’re doing local shows out there, keep up the good spirit 💪 
(Dells, Gold Key, Whitman, Archie titles and the like also sell well for us as long as we keep the prices fair. I have quite a few repeat customers for these books. Overall they’re looking for $5 and under mid to low grade copies, not books like Space Ghost 1 or a Scrooge key.)

That was Mike Carbo’s Detective 27, I did not ask if it was for sale. Regardless of all the comic drama, I always check out his table. He has some very cool books as well as unique and hard to find items.

Yeah, Carbo has always been let’s just say “unique”...

I always check him out as well and have gotton lots of cool stuff from him. I don’t know where he turns up the stuff but always has unusual items.

I was talking to him at Torpedo and he pulled out something cool out of an envelope. It was the 1943 Superman Workbook. It has the iconic patriotic eagle cover. He didn’t know what it was but I did. Never seen one in hand though. I offered him a lot of money for it but he didn’t want to sell it yet...:sorry: