• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Grade This One...
2 2

26 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Qalyar said:

Matt is many things, but he's not a comic book publishing company.

... or is he?? ... :ohnoez:

No, I'm saying where is the difference? Whether it's me, Matt or a company stamping the wrong cover on legitimate books. Those covers are married. The book wasn't manufactured with those covers. The original cover is gone. Remaindered or not. A completely irrelevant cover gets slapped on. Not the ORIGINAL cover. A DIFFERENT cover. How is that not married? What is CGC's rationale for a blue label? I could do the exact same thing and I'd get 1.8 purple. Is it because the comic books were sold? They aren't even the original publisher. It's a fascinating topic, IMO. Totally hypocritical as well.

I think there is a difference between companies like Fox and EC taking returns of their own books and repackaging the contents in squarebounds, and some fly by night publisher slapping a random cover on coverless copies they've acquired from who knows where. One can argue that since it was done back in the same era and the books were mass produced and distributed for retail sale or (as with other examples of this) as giveaways , that they aren't married in the sense we usually mean, and that they don't warrant a qualified label, but just describing them as "manufactured with interiors from other comics" isn't adequate either. All such books should probably have a rebound notation at least. 

Most of the Red Circle 4s have contents published in the early to mid 50s, indicating such repackaging was an ongoing effort over the ears, or the publishers picked up a bunch of stripped returns that had been sitting in a warehouse, in some cases for a few years. Still Captain Marvel #18 predates other copy contents by about a decade and doesn't seem a likely candidate to be sitting in a pile of returned books from the 1950s , and seems more like a case of someone with RC4 covers individually stapling them to coverless comics they picked up outside the distribution chain.  It's not that unusual to find coverless comics wrapped in the loose cover from a different book being sold on ebay by sellers who don't realize that is the case.  There was a natural tendency to marry unrelated contents and covers just to tidy up accumulations when they were just considered old comic books and not collectibles with distinct values. 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:27 PM, Qalyar said:

I believe CGC follows the cover in these cases. I know there are some slabbed examples, so someone can prove me right or wrong. Unlike the Red Circle 4s, I believe such books do get green labels -- which makes sense, really, because that XMen/Spiderman mashup book is an error vs. Rural Home's intentionally-created oddities.

You're right. 

53623-X-men272CGC92.jpg.bdfb9b588bf051c9