• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Make Money Short-Term Flipping of CGC books?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

It's defnitely possible to make a steady income buying and selling comics. Plenty of board members do (including myself), but it's not nearly as easy as it was 5-10 years ago...and you better have A) a lot of time and B) a lot of money. Helps to have a network of buyers/sellers/collectors/stores you can tap into as well. Starting from scratch, without the required knowledge or bankroll would not be a fun time.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, october said:

It's defnitely possible to make a steady income buying and selling comics. Plenty of board members do (including myself), but it's not nearly as easy as it was 5-10 years ago...and you better have A) a lot of time and B) a lot of money. Helps to have a network of buyers/sellers/collectors/stores you can tap into as well. Starting from scratch, without the required knowledge or bankroll would not be a fun time.

Space is also important. Most of my biggest scores have come from buying collections, which does require the network, time, and money like you said, but it also requires space. You need someplace to house the money books but also the drek while you wait to unload it. This is something I couldn't do until a few years ago after buying a house. I'd have to space out my purchases to ensure I had the space.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, Tafkap said:

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to make a steady income of flipping CGC books?

Specifically, buying graded books and selling them a few weeks/months or so later for a profit?

It would seem that if one was very knowledgeable and/or lucky it could be possible.

CGC books already graded, no. Not a steady income but certainly an income.

Raw comic books yes.

The original poster was talking about buying already graded books and flipping them for profit. One Board member said he already does this and it's pretty obvious how and where this can happen steadily.

(It does not take a lot of effort really... You just have to not need the money immediately.)

You do not have to leave your house basically. No physical leg work scouring the shops involved. :gossip:

On 8/12/2021 at 12:42 PM, shadroch said:
On 8/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, shadroch said:

I make my beer money buying from one website and re-consigning the books right back to them. 

Just for the record, I'm 100% serious.

Are we talking vintage bottles of Samuel Adams Utopia or cans of Bud Light from Circle K?

On 8/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, sckao said:

The original poster was talking about buying already graded books and flipping them for profit. One Board member said he already does this and it's pretty obvious how and where this can happen steadily.

(It does not take a lot of effort really... You just have to not need the money immediately.)

You do not have to leave your house basically. No physical leg work scouring the shops involved. :gossip:

Beats the hell out of searching dollar boxes in my situation.  I do have to walk down the driveway to get my weekly check.