• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Books Scuttled By Stan Lee
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 10:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

Now what about Stan in the chair reading comics to kids? 

Relatively harmless, although that variant has a small enough print run than Universal copies are starting to get pretty scarce. Sucks if you, say, like Skottie Young art but don't want signed books.

Otherwise, I could certainly wish that he'd made use of the copious whitespace instead of taking a STANLEE to the back of that one kid's head...

On 8/19/2021 at 4:17 AM, Buzzetta said:

Sorry @kav I think there are some books improved by Lee's signature. 

ASM700cgc98ssa.thumb.jpg.75c6318a7b431b25f47060fbee02041a.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. 

On 8/18/2021 at 2:29 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is the only one in this thread I am okay with (even though it's ugly).  At least these blank covers were made for it.  I have liked a few blank variants (and, especially, partial blanks) that had been sketched/signed.  Like where the border is a print of some kind and then the artist sketches something in the middle blank part.  I actually think those are pretty cool and nice OA.

But I strongly dislike signatures or doodles or writing of any kind of non-blank books--especially keys.  Getting a "scrapbook" sig for your memories on a common book is one thing, but most of the examples I see on this board or eBay of signed, expensive books are cringeworthy--even if they are done "well."  (Not even going to comment on the truly disgusting ones with with terrible placement, terrible penmanship, terrible sketches, or that just don't make any sense (eg, Stan Lee signing a book he had nothing to do with). 

I guess I should actually encourage signing books since it just makes the non-signed ones rarer, just the same as if those people were lighting their copies on fire, which I guess is good for me personally since I've basically completed my own collection--but it's just too sad, imo.    

On 8/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, Qalyar said:

In Stan Lee signature news, this thing is up at CLink. So, sure, there are fewer than 50 copies of this historically important issue on the census in unrestored 9.0 or higher grades. But it's cool to have Stan write a bunch on one of them, right? Especially when he managed to smear ink across the title. At least he didn't sign over Spidey's face, I guess.

At the time I write this, the current bid has now hit $64,000 with over five days to go. Based on that bidding history, evidently, some people are perfectly happy with this book the way it looks now. But I think it's just sad, really...

https://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/2017/00000081690000101436827002.jpg

Make that $72000 now. And with 4+ days left, I bet that's not done. What are we guessing? 90k by the end of this?? :ohnoez:

Seriously, I don't understand any of that for this book. Frankly, I'm not sure I understand how this kept a 9.0 post-signing, with Stan having smudged that inscription over the title. I can only assume that the quality of the autograph / inscription isn't considered with regard to grade. Personally, I'd view anything that wasn't intentionally done to the cover as a defect, which would mean this ink smear is a defect and that spurious hot pink line on the back of the 10-signature book would be a defect, and neither would have the grade they do.

And that's to say nothing of the irony of writing "With great power comes great responsibility" over the top of ASM 1...

On 8/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, Qalyar said:

In Stan Lee signature news, this thing is up at CLink. So, sure, there are fewer than 50 copies of this historically important issue on the census in unrestored 9.0 or higher grades. But it's cool to have Stan write a bunch on one of them, right? Especially when he managed to smear ink across the title. At least he didn't sign over Spidey's face, I guess.

At the time I write this, the current bid has now hit $64,000 with over five days to go. Based on that bidding history, evidently, some people are perfectly happy with this book the way it looks now. But I think it's just sad, really...

https://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/2017/00000081690000101436827002.jpg

Just to follow up. This sold for $96,000. I... hope the buyer is happy with it.

This topic has been in the back of mind my for quite a few days now.

1st - To each their own.  If you like SS books, or think they deface the cover - that is everyone's personal opinion.  Why bash someone else's collecting habits just because you don't agree with theirs?  Aren't we all on these boards because we all love comics in the 1st place?

2nd - Pertaining to Stan Lee signed books.  Some of us forget how important he is/was to comics as a whole.  He was a very humble and honest man.  He wasn't stricken by greed, and he never let fame get to him.  Heck, He was willing to go to cons up until his death just to show his appreciation for the fans!  Sure, some of his sig placements suck, but you have to consider that he was basically used as a signature machine.  Ask Yourselves - Would you have been signing books into your late 80's for the fans?  Most of us wouldn't - to be honest...

3rd - If you are against SS Books, are you also forgetting that SS books result in premium prices paid?  These SS books that some are complaining about, are what's partly driving up your non slabbed books' prices.  IE: the trickle down effect.  Do you think your non slabbed books would be worth as much if SS books never existed?  Same can be said in regards to raw vs slabbed.  Slabbed books increase the values for everyone's raw books as well.

I decided to write this, because I feel bad that some are bashing Stan for something he did to show his appreciation for the fans.  Yes, I agree.  - Some of his sig placements are horrible, and make the covers look bad, especially the phrases, - but you also have to consider who Stan Lee was, what he did for comics as well as pop culture, and that Stan Lee SS books command premium prices - like it or not.

We're all here because we love comics!  Don't hate on others' collecting choices/opinions!  To each their own!

On 8/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, Darkseid of the Moon said:

This topic has been in the back of mind my for quite a few days now.

1st - To each their own.  If you like SS books, or think they deface the cover - that is everyone's personal opinion.  Why bash someone else's collecting habits just because you don't agree with theirs?  Aren't we all on these boards because we all love comics in the 1st place?

Just as a thought experiment, forget about signing for a second.  Let's say there were a group of people who liked to buy books and then just light them on fire.  The thrill of burning something valuable just appeals to them for whatever reason.  

Now the two things you said totally apply to burning books as well.  1)  It's totally their right.  They own the book--they can do whatever their heart tells them to do.  They can preserve it as is, they can display it, they can burn it--no one can stop them doing whatever they want with their copy.  2) Them burning their copies makes our other remaining copies more valuable as well, so why complain?  Well, even though it is against everyone else's financial interest to get them to stop burning books, some people find it just too sad not to say anything against it. They find it sad because something they admire is being treated like that, regardless of the fact its fully within that person's rights and actually makes everyone else copy's more valuable.  

If you're on board with that perspective with regard to burning books, then just consider that some people (maybe even a lot of people) consider signing/remarking books (especially those with terrible placement/block spider doodles, etc) to be equivalent in that it effectively (in their eyes) destroys the books.  You don't have to agree with that (I see you don't), but that should at least answer why some people feel the need to at least post negative sentiment on here.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:22 AM, Poekaymon said:

that should at least answer why some people feel the need to at least post negative sentiment on here.

Or they're just whiners.