• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover Regrade for a SS Signing?

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I have a couple books I'm planning to send in for an upcoming SS event. One is already in a CGC holder and it's my understanding I can leave it encapsulated and they'll crack it for signing and then re-grade, etc (though PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong about that and I do have to crack it/window bag it myself first).

My main question is that the second book I'm sending is a CBCS encapsulated book... So what's the deal there? I can't actually pick the Crossover Regrade option after choosing the SS event, so I assume I may need to crack that guy open prior to sending? I'd hate to do so, there's no way I'll be able to actually pack it as safely as just keeping it in the third-party capsule.

Any advice from people who have submitted previously graded books for signature is greatly appreciated! We aren't talking about super high value books here and they are both for my own collection, not resale, but both are currently highly graded (9.6 & 9.8) and I want to avoid potentially missing the SS event if they won't crack one or both of the slabs on arrival.

I’d say just contact them directly and ask your questions.  It would suck for something to go wrong because you listened to the advice of some random internet stranger and they got it wrong when you could have contacted a paid customer service employee of the company you are paying and entrusting your valuables to.   Policies change or update and occasionally vary from event to event, or if an option is available, there might be associated fees to consider.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:10 AM, revat said:

I’d say just contact them directly and ask your questions.  It would suck for something to go wrong because you listened to the advice of some random internet stranger and they got it wrong when you could have contacted a paid customer service employee of the company you are paying and entrusting your valuables to.   Policies change or update and occasionally vary from event to event, or if an option is available, there might be associated fees to consider.

Highly sensible advice, thanks!

Just for future reference, and keeping in mind the caveats @revat pointed out about changing policies, customer service on the phone just explicitly told me not to try and open either capsule prior to submission (they did point out if the CBCS book was already signed it wouldn't be verified/honored but in my case it isn't). So the answer today 8/18/21 is to keep them encapsulated regardless of the original grading company.