• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine pencil sketch 1981 - estimate ?

6 posts in this topic

Hi there I hope this is an ok place to post this question - 

I have this pencil sketch that I purchased from a comic store (as a kid) in the early 1980s in Toronto - 

It looks like it is by Brent Anderson done in 1981 as a commission for the fellow indicated at the top - 

I had it in a frame for many years and didnt take great care of it so it is yellowed and has the water marks you can see at left side - 

Does this have any value  ?  

Thanks in advance !

KB

20210818_171945.jpg

SOunds like you noted some of the defects that might affect value.

I can't read it, but whatever is written in the right hand top corner might affect value as well (cool if it tells you when/where it was drawn, less cool if its dedicated to specific person).

It looks great though, and its a full figure popular character, although while the artist is cool and talented, not a superstar by todays standards.

I think you could get lucky and get $30-50 in the right circumstance to the right buyer, but without any sentimental value I'd offer it for $25 here on the boards and sell for any offer higher than $15.

An alternative to going off of other's baseless guesses, see if you can find some comps that closely match your Brett Anderson Wolverine sketch. That is typically, and I think the ideal way of getting an estimated valuation for your sketch. To get you started, here are a couple that I found from a cursory Google search, fairly recent:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/sketches/brent-anderson-wolverine-sketch-original-art-1982-/a/121825-14004.s. ($192 w/ buyer's premium)

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1503070 (Ask him how much he sold it for)

You could easily get $100 from this sketch just on its character and vintage, but it's a Brent Anderson drawing and Brent had a short run on the Uncanny X-Men around this time, so it's a sketch by a classic, 1980s X-Men artist. Don't let anyone tell you it's only worth $30 or less, because it's worth more than that.