• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Letters to the Editor

18 posts in this topic

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before or not, but do most GA collectors read the fan letters published with the book? I've recently gone back and read some letters included with the Fiction House titles to gain a little insight into what collectors were thinking back 60 years ago. Were these letters common for most publications back in the 40's and 50's?

For instance, it does seem like more kids were writing these letters due to the contents simplicity. For instance, someone would state that even the though the art isn't great, they still love the stories (or vice-versa). Someone was also listing which titles they were collecting at the time and why. Plus, it definitely seemed like 30% of the mailers were actually female.

Can you guys post some of the more interesting letters you've encountered while reading your books. I find this historical piece of information fascinating.

Originally posted in the "Undead Thread". Editorial page from Weird Mysteries # 5.

Keith I was just going to take a picture of the editorial page from my Weird Mysteries # 5 as I did not want to lay it on the scanner. However the picture might not be all that clear so I re-typed it for readability. Enjoy!

..........................................................................................................

Well, things are really popping around this office. In the last issue of THE BLACKBOARD I asked you readers to drop me a line commenting on WEIRD MYSTERIES. To be truthful. I never expected such a tremendous response, which only goes to prove that you readers are genuinely interested in the magazines you read. And if asked, will write giving your ideas on how to improve each issue. The only thing I noticed is that most of the mail seems to come from the boys...what's the matter, don't girls read comic books anymore?

I was going to answer as many letters as possible in each issue but will devote this entire space to the discussion of just one letter. A letter that has caused quite a furor around here. Here are excerpts from that letter:

Dear Sirs;

Recently I came across a "comic" of yours entitled WEIRD MYSTERIES. Would you be willing to answer several question for me?

Why do you print trash like that?...How can you justify lowering yourselves and your readers by offering them the horrible fare that WEIRD MYSTERIES provides?

Would you not make more money by employing story writers and artists whose work would by its originality and wholesomeness create a demand that you as publishers would be proud to fill?

I thank you for whatever attention you may give my questions.

Very truly yours,

(Miss) LUCY HURLEY

A serious letter like Miss Hurley's deserves a serious answer.

First, let me say that the principle aim in publishing our magazines is to give the readers what they want to read. If we didn't do this, we couldn't (and wouldn't) remain in business.

The type of stories that we are publishing are not chosen by us arbitrarily, but rather after considerable research and investigation into what is marketable on the newsstands. If MYSTERY and HORROR are what the readers want then we are obliged to comply. In short then, it is the reader who determines what the publisher prints.

The implication in your letter, and on the part of many people and groups who have taken exception with the bulk of comic magazine material, is that it is "worthless trash" having harmful effects on the youth of our country...contributing even to delinquency. If you (and they) will take the trouble to analyze the so-called "prescribed" reading for children. I am sure you would conclude that comic magazine stories are no more unacceptable than they are.

For instance, let's study fairy tales;

1. LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD...in which a viscious wolf devours an old invalid woman and then attempts to do the same to her grand-daughter.

2. HANSEL AND GRETEL...in which a wicked witch attempts to roast alive two children in a red hot oven with the purpose of eating them afterwards.

3. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS...in which a wicked queen assigns a woodsman to butcher Snow White. Failing in this, she then feeds the girl a poisoned apple.

There are many, many more...too many to go into in this limited space.

Surely, horror and violence in this form is no less harmful...IF HARMFUL IT IS...than what you find in comics. Let's remember that we, now adults, were raised on these fairy tales.

The crux of the matter lies in a child's upbringing. A child who is inclined to delinquency or other types of neurotic behavior does not need comic books to express these tendencies. Comics are no more contributory to a neurotic or psycotic personality than anything else in the child's environment.

Limitations of space stop the discussion at this point. However, we hope we have stimulated enough interest and thought so that other readers, especially parents, will write us their opinions on the topic. Please address your letters to:

THE BLACKBOARD

Gillmor Magazines, Inc.

175 Fifth Avenue

New York 10, New York

.............................................................................................................

917274-WM%235Text.jpg

The real defensive stance in this reply makes me feel (horror) publishers were already feeling the pressure starting to be applied by parents and teachers who were becoming aware of the content of some of these books.

Dr. Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent was published in 1954 and WM #5 came out in 1953 although comic books were already gaining bad press.

(From the internet)

Once the popularity of comic books shot up through the introduction of Superman, they gained media attention, some of it bad. Here is an excerpt of an editorial from the Chicago Daily News book reviewer Sterling North that was printed in May 8th, 1940.

"Badly drawn, badly written, and badly printed - a strain on the young eyes and young nervous systems - the effects of these pulp-paper nightmares is that of a violent stimulant. Their crude blacks and reds spoils a child's natural sense of colour; their hypodermic injection of sex and murder make the child impatient with better, though quieter, stories. Unless we want a coming generation even more ferocious than the present one, parents and teachers throughout America must band together to break the `comic' magazine."

"Badly drawn, badly written, and badly printed - a strain on the young eyes and young nervous systems - the effects of these pulp-paper nightmares is that of a violent stimulant. Their crude blacks and reds spoils a child's natural sense of colour; their hypodermic injection of sex and murder make the child impatient with better, though quieter, stories. Unless we want a coming generation even more ferocious than the present one, parents and teachers throughout America must band together to break the `comic' magazine."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

27_laughing.gif Can I have that on a T-shirt, please?

That has to be the greatest letter and response in the history of comics.

And you want to know what makes it even better... the fact that the cover shows a scientist removing a brain from a dead ape's skull!

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before or not, but do most GA collectors read the fan letters published with the book?

I and I am sure most other GA collectors consider the letters pages to be an absolute MUST READ. They sometimes encapsualate that which we love about GA and pre-code.

The real defensive stance in this reply makes me feel (horror) publishers were already feeling the pressure starting to be applied by parents and teachers who were becoming aware of the content of some of these books. Dr. Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent was published in 1954 and WM #5 came out in 1953 although comic books were already gaining bad press.

Yes, and Wertham was prolific in the pre-SOTI days, reaching propably a wider audience with his Reader's Digest, Ladies Home Journal type articles than did the book SOTI itself.

I feel a key ingredient in the publisher's reply is A child who is inclined to delinquency or other types of neurotic behavior does not need comic books to express these tendencies. I find this fascinating as the writer ("Miss" Hurley) made no mention or use of the word "delinquent" or "delinquincy". However, these two "d" words are at the core of Wertham's assertions and Wertham used them freely in his writing. Which leads me to wonder...

Did Miss Lucy Hurley exist and actually submit that letter? Or is that letter a fake written by magazine staff? Consider the letter. A very tight and succinct summation of some major issues regarding prec-de horror. Yes, according to the published the letter represents "excerpts" but this is a bit too pat, too concise and too TOO.

Consider the publisher's response. Beautifully phrased, well thought out. It is actually an editorial. And it artfully manages to get in the work "delinquent" without making it sound obvious - except in hindsight.

My vote goes for this being a plant allowing the publisher to address the then-current furor in a situation that made it appear to be a sincere response to a sincere letter, as opposed to a self-serving editorial.

It is a GREAT letter page and makes me want to get a copy of WM5 just for that page's sake!

::typo/punctuation edits::

Interesting theory there POV! thumbsup2.gif

Which is why I asked if anyone knows if this topic was continued in following issues. I have the same suspicions as you do, I'm thinking there was probably no "Miss Hurly" and that the publisher was trying to quell the anti-comic mentality of the time with his (as you put it) concise and too TOO! explanations. The publisher in this case seems to have done his rebuttal homework in advance.

By the way, did Wertham ever discuss the violent nature of some of the cartoons back in the day. I mean Tom was getting is head lopped off by Jerry every other episode. Plus, the early Woody Woodpecker cartoons were extremely violent. People getting sliced in two by a runaway saw blade, getting stabbed with sharp pitch forks in the behind, etc. Plus, I remember one cartoon where the eagle like villain practically grinded half his body in a meat grinder --- thinking it was Woody.

Actually, not only do GA collectors read letters pages, I think a lot of them read all the ads, too 27_laughing.gif I know I do smile.gif

Yes, but who here actually reads the two-page text features? I know I don't.

On some titles I do. The Little Lulu ones are often quite good. I like the text features in the early Tomahawks and some of the Captain Marvel ones are fun. They put you in the spirit of the times. All the Disney ones are just awful though.

Hi Skybolt, finally got around to scanning this!

Here's a letter page from Thrilling Comics #14, cover date March 1941. Note that this text must have been written at the very beginning of 1941, and yet it's already anticipating America's entry into the war. Historical interest aside, I find the content of the text and the letters (whether they're real or fake) hilarious & utterly charming. (Hey, any former members of the Thrilling Club out there?)

thrilling14.jpg