• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help on this 1976 Ragman #1???

21 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am tempted to give this one at least a VF+. There are no creases, spine stress and the edges are tight! Pages are WHITE / OW.

Here's the deal....

As you can clearly see on the lower back cover, there appears to be some kind of smudge! Now, the same smudge is in the same spot on the front as well (hard to see in scan). The color of said smudge matches the colors of the inks on front cover...

My question is... Is this a printing defect? I am thinking so, but wanted other opinions as well hail.gif

BTW... am I on with my grading??? I was considering saying VF/NM confused-smiley-013.gif but chose to stick with the VF+

Ragman11976F1.jpg

Ragman11976B1.jpg

Thanks!

JG

Is that a 893censored-thumb.gif stain at the bottom!? 27_laughing.gif

Maybe it was a bathroom reader???

confused-smiley-013.gif

Pretty sure it's a production flaw...

It's dist spray.

Brown is a pretty rare color and it always looks like sheet. 27_laughing.gif

Normally it's some shade of blue, red, yellow, or green.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's dist spray.

What exactly do you mean by "dist spray"? confused-smiley-013.gif

Forgive my lack of terminology knowledge foreheadslap.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's dist spray.

I believe Aces means distribution spray.

Usually it is on the top of the book though, and more uniformly

distributed....

I've never seen a brown spray before, but Aces sounds like he knows

what he''s talking about. thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's dist spray.

distributed....

I don't think so . . . on BOTH counts 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Looks like chocolate ice cream to me - is it 3-dimensional? Can you scrape it off with a micro-spatula? Does it smell like doggy-doo? grin.gif Why don't you give it a finger-lick and tell us insane.gif

Distribution ink or spray is entirely random and can appear on any edge of the book, as it is randomly applied by some dufus sumo.gif

gossip.gifand I've NEVER seen brown ink before gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's dist spray.

distributed....

I don't think so . . . on BOTH counts 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Looks like chocolate ice cream to me - is it 3-dimensional? Can you scrape it off with a micro-spatula? Does it smell like doggy-doo? grin.gif Why don't you give it a finger-lick and tell us insane.gif

Distribution ink or spray is entirely random and can appear on any edge of the book, as it is randomly applied by some dufus sumo.gif

gossip.gifand I've NEVER seen brown ink before gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I smelled, licked and felt it! foreheadslap.gif

Not 3D! No taste and no smell...

Does this type of "spray" affect the grade? I would think not as it's a production thing. But I have been known to be wrong on occaision confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks!

Johnny,

Distribution spray is NOT a production defect - it's applied after production by the distributor to identify a bound stack of books to be delivered. If it looks like a gloppity-glop stain, then it will be treated like a gloppity-glop stain, and the book will be downgraded accordingly. sumo.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's dist spray.

distributed....

I was pretty sure It was dist spray because its on the front (same color as the cover inks foreheadslap.gif ) in the excat same spot and area depth.

Brown is (as I said) very rare.

I've only seen a handful out of 10,000s of books I've thumbed through over my 30 years of collecting.

I've never seen white dist spray and I think I saw some black just once on a couple of books. It could have been a very dark blue though as it was a very small amount and hard to judge. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey guys,

To my eyes, it could be one of two things.

1.) As mentioned before, it could be distribution overspray. It would seep down between covers, causing the colour from the front cover of one book to stick on the back cover of the book next to it. Aside from seeing the colour on the back (as here) you often see the colour pulled off the front. That's why I don't think the distributor ink was brown - it was probably yellow, they sprayed it on the botton edge, and that's why the mark is on the back of the book. Also, the mark on the front (in almost exactly the same space) looks like where the colour offset onto yet another unfortunate copy.

2.) Could have happened on-press. The plates could have left a thicker layer of ink on that one patch on the bottom front cover. If that was still wet when the books were stacked (not impossible) the colour would offset onto the back of the book on top of it.

My guess... distributor overspray that got down between the books and resulted in books sticking together.

As for grade... I can't see knocking a book down a grade and a half because of the stain on the back. However, with the obvious problem at the bottom of the front cover, I can certainly see this as a 7.5.

Shep

Hey guys,

To my eyes, it could be one of two things.

1.) As mentioned before, it could be distribution overspray. It would seep down between covers, causing the colour from the front cover of one book to stick on the back cover of the book next to it. Aside from seeing the colour on the back (as here) you often see the colour pulled off the front. That's why I don't think the distributor ink was brown - it was probably yellow, they sprayed it on the botton edge, and that's why the mark is on the back of the book. Also, the mark on the front (in almost exactly the same space) looks like where the colour offset onto yet another unfortunate copy.

2.) Could have happened on-press. The plates could have left a thicker layer of ink on that one patch on the bottom front cover. If that was still wet when the books were stacked (not impossible) the colour would offset onto the back of the book on top of it.

My guess... distributor overspray that got down between the books and resulted in books sticking together.

As for grade... I can't see knocking a book down a grade and a half because of the stain on the back. However, with the obvious problem at the bottom of the front cover, I can certainly see this as a 7.5.

Shep

Shep,

A well-reasoned analysis, I agree. sumo.gif

Aces,

I was only pullin' your chain poke2.gif

-d

All I can say is it' s one fugly stain. Sorry you bought it as a VF/NM.

Still a great book, but there are many out there without that type of defect.

You'll find another.

I have another 4 on their way in the mail... here's hoping!

Thanks for all the comments and help guys thumbsup2.gif

JG