• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Problem with Original Art!

13 posts in this topic

I'd like to hear what others think but in my experience with this hobby of about 15 years one major thing has struck me. I know we all have our horror stories about certain dealers, about crazy pricing, about competitiveness gone mad, or even restoration and such, but the one thing that really gets me is going to San Diego and seeing a great piece of art up on say Albert Moy's wall in a flimsy mylar, draped over a wire almost folding itself in half, crammed in with countless other pieces, with a little sticky note that says 50k. Most dealer boths are littered with art in a seemingly haphazard assortment, some in mylars, some not, some in decrepit portfolios, some not. Basically it looks like a sea of [embarrassing lack of self control]! Why is it that when I get my treasures home I preciously frame them archivally, and hang them in a place of honor, but when it is sold to me it is just another 10k piece tossed on the heap?? There are exceptions to this- Mitch Itkowitz went to the trouble of shrinkwrapping and printing custom stickers for most of his better pieces. And, man, did his booth look terrific in comparison. But, to most dealers, this stuff we collect just seems to be fodder. And high priced fodder at that! I'm telling you, if we expect new blood in this hobby it is very hard to convince someone at a show that this art is worth anything judging from the way it is displayed. Whenever, I bring guests to the shows they simply can't believe there eyes. I know it is hard to set up and display material in the course of a several day show, it is not a permanent gallery space after all, but this stuff is damned expensive to be treated this way. Plus, what's wrong with a little effort and expense when we are talking about thousands and thousands of dollars! Please, no more 50k post it notes!!! I think it does the piece and the whole hobby a disservice for dealers to keep treating this stuff like [embarrassing lack of self control]. It keeps out fresh collectors and it boggles the mind of current ones. At least this one... DF sign-rantpost.gif

The irony is that if they framed their pieces and built the cost into their sale price they could probably make $$$$ on the framing, on the piece itself, and increase the volume of sales. The only downside is a transportation issue but I dont think EVERY piece needs to be distinguished as display material,..but if the piece is over 10K or so,...it would seem a wise investment.

The irony is that if they framed their pieces and built the cost into their sale price they could probably make $$$$ on the framing, on the piece itself, and increase the volume of sales. The only downside is a transportation issue but I dont think EVERY piece needs to be distinguished as display material,..but if the piece is over 10K or so,...it would seem a wise investment.

I agree. Even just matting and/or shrinkwrapping makes a huge difference in perceived value.... I'm not kidding, sometimes at shows I think the stuff starts to look like garbage too... or at least widgets! 893whatthe.gif

What I find disturbing is how some dealers send art via the mail packed very poorly. I've bought a lot of art from some of the top dealers in the country and one dealer sent the art rolled up in a box with no packing or anything. Rolled up!

On the rare occasion that I sell any of my art, I pack it very securely to avoid bends and creases and any other damage. I want my art to arrive packed just as securely.

My biggest beef with comic retailers is that they DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMIC ART. When you try to talk to them about it, even those who have been in the business for decades, many of them ask the same question "Is it a print?" No, it's original art. "Yeah, my customers don't buy anything like that."

I've only ever had one dealer ask me to put some art in his store for sale. He said maybe some $25-$35 pages or covers (?!?) would sell, but nothing too expensive. I was shocked at how ignorant many retailers are and that only hurts getting new collectors interested.

If there's no one saying "Hey kid, do you know that the original art for your favorite comic might be for sale?" then the only way they have of knowing is if they figure it out for themselves or stumble upon it on the internet.

I tell everyone about original comic art. I have even bought several pieces of art as presents for people's birthdays and as Christmas gifts. There's a lot of art hanging on people's walls who don't even read or collect comics because of me.

yeah I know what you mean When I walk up to artist tables to buy OA I can't destuingish 20 dollar pieces from 100 dollar pieces and so one. I saw a 25,000 dollar piece pined to a wall looking like a 300 dollar piece. I mean for 25,000 dollars it should atleast come with a frame.

Dan you make some really excellent points about the presentation. It has always disturbed me to see exactly what you describe. It's hard to take a $20k price tag seriously when the dealer treats it like a 50-cent piece of notebook paper. And of course, I see people browsing the tables leaning on the art like it's a prop when it's actually a $15,000 cover to a Kirby Invaders makes me cringe. I mean, who expects to see multi-thousand dollar pieces of art in an el cheapo portfolio barely protected from harm?

They are NOT fine art dealers -- they are immersed in comic book culture, and many probably sold comics before getting into art. They treat the art like replaceable widgets because they are used to treating their stock like replaceable widgets.

The thing is, I believe that if they treated the art like the valuable, one-of-a-kind commodity that it is, they would:

1. Sell more of it. People like to think they are buying something coveted and valued.

2. Bring a better air of respect and legitimacy to OA. If you, the owner, treat it worse than the guys who sell posters for $20 a pop, nobody else is going to treat the art like it's a big deal.

3. Get better sale prices. I agree with the former sentiments that if they'd frame it and make it look presentable they'd probably sell more of it at higher prices. It's kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Treat the stuff like it has no value and you'll have a hard time convincing people that it has value. Treat it and display it like a valuable objet d'art and you'll probably realize the prices that such things bring.

tongue.gif

cool thread. this got me thinking about back inthe day when i was a kid. about this old book store i used to go to that sold comics. it was dark and dusty and smelled like funk. while some fat sweaty guy sat behind the counter with a fan. shouting don,t read the comics if ya anit buying um.lol

but seriously . as far as the framing art at shows. yes i agree. it you have a page / cover over the 10k mark it should be framed and matted. but as kk stated. when you taking about traveling with the art. it can pose a big problem.

also when you have a few thousand pages on had. it no way you going to be able to mat ot frame that many pages. but at least some nice folios will do for them. and there are some art companies that sell very nice back drops to showcase your art. it well worth it. and keeps your stuff from looking like a flea market.

iam sure a lot of us know dealers and if you think there booth looks a lil sloppy. throw em a bone or a life line. let them know the better the booth looks. the better the sales.

larry ;]

While I agree that travelling with a framed and matted piece is indeed a pain in the butt, that is no excuse to just display art in a way that could damage the piece, specially if it's worth thousands and thousands of dollars. I would say for pieces that are less than $1000, it's ok to just have them in regular portfolios, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal if dealers just packed their art a little better. Maybe one of the stiffer mylars, with a big backing board? Similar to how people store high priced comics. That would, at least, keep the art looking much nicer.

As a matter of fact, when I was at WW Boston, I had the choice of two pages from Cap 100, and I actually chose one that was already framed and in much better shape than the other one, despite the fact that the other one was more historical.

The other page was the one where Namor grabs the block of ice with Cap in it, and throws it in the water. Definitely a historic piece, but in worse shape (a small tear, a couple of small holes, a couple of creases), most likely because whoever owned that piece for years never took that much care of it. A shame, really.

Another point is that I am usually scared of sending some pieces to get framed, because I'm afraid it will get damaged. If I buy it framed already, it is a much better deal, and I am definitely willing to pay a premium for the fact that I can buy it, bring it home, and hang it on the wall right away.

Maybe art dealers will take notice of this smile.gif

Good point Alberto. For the most part, I think we art collectors are forgiving of wear and tear on OA if the piece is significant. After all, it's the ONLY one of that page.

But dealers, please! Protect the art!!!! One of my pages from FF 40 is a bit yellowed and the back of it has the tape stain residue on all four corners from where someone clearly had TAPED IT TO A WALL!!! 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

The art has enough problems after being stored improperly, handled without care, etc. Give it some R-E-S-P-E-C-T, bruthas. 27_laughing.gif

That's how I send my art and request that it be sent. You can by those cheap sheets of masonite at Home Depot and sandwich the art in between, then duct tape the whole thing shut. Virtually bomb-proof thumbsup2.gif

Costs about $25 to send FEDEX 2-day or ground, depending on how far away you're shipping it and how much additional insurance you have to purchase.

I bought a page from Heritage and the sent it between two sheets of particle board. Definitely the best packaged item I have ever received. Most have cost a fortune to ship cause it weighed a ton.

i think it's an long and tortuous horror story what you fellas are sharing...!!!

it's already painfull for me to see how comics are in general treated, and i'm talking about the expensive ones...but one of a ind pieces that go for that high get treated like old newspaper sheets??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! insane.gifmakepoint.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

1- they show no respect for their own profession/responsabilities

2-...towards this form of art and all the artists involved in it

3-...towards the public and/or fans (because comics art is art and therefore doesn't need for hardcore fans excitement to be valuable on it's own)

4- in the end these dealers are simple/shallow minded persons. that since they are in it for the $$$, they seem to not like to get it (better displayed pieces, more attention/people looking at them).

in the end it's sad how this form of art, it's richness creativity is destroyed (materially and intelectually because the wide audience doesn't perceive it's value)!!! frown.gif

in the end i think this is a true horror story/situation/mentality!!!!

regards