• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Kirby and Daredevil

18 posts in this topic

FF 39 and 40.

Didn't Wood do Daredevil in those issues?

Yes apparently they had Wood either redraw or independently draw Daredevil in those issues. I don't remember whether it was because Stan didn't think Jack drew him right, or whether they wanted him to just look the same as he did in the comics that Wood was drawing at the time.

Edit by Rhino_Comics: Wood inked DD. Kirby still did the pencils.

How about FF Annual 3? I don't have a raw copy.He's on the cover,is he inside as well?
Funny you should ask that. Sub-mariner and the Hulk are on the cover but not inside. Both Sgt. Fury and Nick Fury are also on the cover, but only Nick Fury is inside (er ...well, I guess technically they are the same and are both inside 27_laughing.gif )960685-ffann03.jpg

960685-ffann03.jpg.b0a145987406618a4b559dcb594aeca2.jpg

That story is also reprinted in FF Annual 10.

This time only Sub-mariner is the guilty party not featured inside the story.

But boy he sure kept showing up for the cover shoots.

960692-ffan10.jpg

The Hulk must have been busy.

960692-ffan10.jpg.e5d77198d9a50fc94dd84585c665fd5f.jpg

I always thought Subby attacked NYC with his giant beasts during the wedding.At least thats the way I thought I remembered the mid60s animated version from the MMMS cartoon series.
Not sure about the animated series, but I pulled King Size Annual 10 and on page 17, ATTUMA rises from the water with an army but not Sub-Mariner. And to keep this on topic, it's none other than Daredevil himself who leaps off a runaway truck before it collides with Attuma (not before Daredevil gives a lengthy play-by-play of what is about to happen).

grin.gif

I always thought Subby attacked NYC with his giant beasts during the wedding.At least thats the way I thought I remembered the mid60s animated version from the MMMS cartoon series.
Not sure about the animated series, but I pulled King Size Annual 10 and on page 17, ATTUMA rises from the water with an army but not Sub-Mariner. And to keep this on topic, it's none other than Daredevil himself who leaps off a runaway truck before it collides with Attuma (not before Daredevil gives a lengthy play-by-play of what is about to happen).

grin.gif

Well of COURSE he gives a lengthy play-by-play... he's a freakin' LAWYER!!! makepoint.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

Paging through Essential Thor V2 this morning, I found a Daredevil panel in JIM 116.

The interesting thing is that DD's thought balloon has him thinking about finding Submariner, and DD is in his new costume. The footnote says to look at Daredevil #7 for details.

So, did DD go looking for Submariner after Daredevil 7 concluded (and was this mentioned in #8)? Or was this prior to Daredevil 7 (in which case this would be the first appearance of the new costume)?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Essential Daredevil tells me that the DD/Subby battle concludes with them both being electrocuted, but Namor recovering first (due to the godliness, mainly) and walking off...

Namor dialogue: "Out of respect to the courage of Daredevil, I shall NOT injure any humans!" And he dives back into the sea. What a nice fella. So to answer your question, the JIM 116 appearance is set after DD#7. And no reference to Subby in #8 that I can find.

My understanding is that Kirby did sketch Pencils for Daredevil 12 & 13 (Kazar issues) and then Romita finalized them. Almost a lesson for Romita to learn from. I have the Buyer's Guide that mentions the specifics if you want to look for it.

Pat