• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas Masterworks coming at ya!

15 posts in this topic

Venus V.2, Yellow Claw, and an Atlas era Sub-Mariner volume are all Masterworks I would buy. It's hard to decipher exactly what is coming in the near future - but the Yellow Claw volume looks likely.

I saw this too. I really have to hand it to Marvel, they're doing stuff I never thought they would -- they're continuing the GA line in Dec with All-Winners Masterworks, and now the Atlas Masterworks line starts with Tales to Astonish 1-10 in Jan. Very, very cool.

I'd like to see a Young Men / Mens Adventures Atlas Masterworks (Cap/Torch issues, obviously), Subby, Menace, Adventures Into Weird Worlds, Mystery Tales, and maybe one book of pre-code Strange Tales/J.I.M.

But the pre-hero monster books and the Yellow Claws (great covers) are as good a place as any to start.

I think this is great news from Marvel, but it does tend to show them up when compared to DC. In this interview, they bemoan the lack of source material and make a plea to fans for scans of issues 4, 6 and 7.

When you compare this with what DC have had to come up with, it's a bit of a joke. How long would it take to scan ebay for complete, low grade copies of these? And what would the cost be, a couple of hundred bucks tops?

National have the advantage of a great library, but the earliest Archives were produced under a different process which meant destroying the source material. 893whatthe.gif To get the material released in a cheap format, I think it was worth it, but compare finding 3 early TTA's against coming up with the first five or ten Superman's and Batman's.

I look forward to reading these Atlas books though and I hope the sales hold up so they carry on with them.

I think this is great news from Marvel, but it does tend to show them up when compared to DC. In this interview, they bemoan the lack of source material and make a plea to fans for scans of issues 4, 6 and 7.

When you compare this with what DC have had to come up with, it's a bit of a joke. How long would it take to scan ebay for complete, low grade copies of these? And what would the cost be, a couple of hundred bucks tops?

National have the advantage of a great library, but the earliest Archives were produced under a different process which meant destroying the source material. 893whatthe.gif To get the material released in a cheap format, I think it was worth it, but compare finding 3 early TTA's against coming up with the first five or ten Superman's and Batman's.

I look forward to reading these Atlas books though and I hope the sales hold up so they carry on with them.

Marvel's "complaint" sounds to me like just more fodder for the publicity machine. Crying about not having copies gives the illusion of scarcity, thus fostering the notion that the archives will be the only way that folks will access to reading the material, thus you have to buy it, etc., etc.

Doesn't sound like a very honest kvetch to me, but it doesn't burst my enthusiasm for these books either.