• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading a Double Cover
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2021 at 1:13 PM, Ryan. said:

Grades are not derived strictly from covers. 

Nor should they be. I just felt it was odd then that a lot of books get the same grade in the white box as they do for their best cover. Granted, I am sure a lot of "normal" books you can grade just the covers front and back and still arrive at the same grade as if you graded the whole thing, so it makes sense that some books with double covers get the same grade as their highest cover. It also would make sense why some books would score a grade between their highest and lower covers, an indicator that something in the interior pages has knocked it down. 

I was under the impression it was always the highest graded cover that was placed on the label. 

Pulling the top cover off a DC book, would only result in a single cover book. Unless the submitter left enough paper for the graders to see the remnants of the second label, it should not garner a "Q" label. 

On 9/4/2021 at 12:24 PM, joeypost said:

I was under the impression it was always the highest graded cover that was placed on the label. 

Pulling the top cover off a DC book, would only result in a single cover book. Unless the submitter left enough paper for the graders to see the remnants of the second label, it should not garner a "Q" label. 

But if they just put the overall grade as the grade of the best cover, CGC is saying they only grade covers. Which would be wrong. I wouldn’t want a 8.5 book with stains in the interior page margins. The cover can be 8.5, sure, and perhaps CGC can continue to notate that as they do but if the best cover is an 8.5 and the overall book is not because of some other flaw, I would expect the overall grade to be lower

I think that if you have two cover and one is a 6.0 and say the other is 8.5, well generally speaking the interior SHOULD be ok and not have any flaws so yea, you might see the 8.5 also given as the overall grade 

For instances where CGC gives cover grades of say 6.0 and 8.5 but then an overall grade of 7.0, that tells me something inside the actual pages is flawed, be it a rip or stain or dog eared page corner…..something

Edited by comicginger1789

I'm thinking the grade is the book's overall condition with the best cover being taken into consideration for the grade. The lesser cover is a non-factor other than for the label notation which would be the book's grade were it to be the only cover.

Yes, the highest graded cover will usually be the final grade of the book. If there's something on the interior of the book that brings the grade of the book down (such as page quality) the final grade should reflect that regardless of the cover grades...  (thumbsu

In every case but one of the double cover books I've sent in, the higher graded cover ended up being the overall assigned grade. The exception was this FF 39. The reason stated by CGC at the time was that an 8.5 is the highest grade that can be assigned to a book in which rust is detected on the staples. So it looks like we have several examples where the higher graded cover is not automatic for the overall grade of the book. Also in this case in a rare occurrence, the outer cover got a higher grade than the inner cover.

ff390001_edited.jpg.997c14f29c195d060cc1fe6940cddaa1.jpg1956430848_ff390001_edited2.thumb.jpg.ecec84f83e9254b266c0a3d01ad2bd8f.jpg

Edited by Jaylam
added text

While on the topic of double covers.... what happens when CGC completely ignores/overlooks the duplicate cover with no reference on the label or graders notes?  While the packing slip blatantly noted the double covers?  Submitted my inquiry, have yet to hear back?  : (  

On 8/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, CITSJoe said:

While on the topic of double covers.... what happens when CGC completely ignores/overlooks the duplicate cover with no reference on the label or graders notes?  While the packing slip blatantly noted the double covers?  Submitted my inquiry, have yet to hear back?  : (  

Sounds like a customer service complaint…and something that , while annoying, they should be fixing on their dime 

On 8/21/2022 at 2:24 PM, CITSJoe said:

You can always try the Ask CGC forum here; they seem to respond quickly.