• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Pressing can Improve the Grade?

9 posts in this topic

Is it possible that double pressing can Improve a grade? I sent a comic first time and got it pressed and got a 9.6, later I sent in again for another signature, got it pressed again and got a 9.8. Is it worth to press a comic as many times as possible?

On 9/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, Ladic said:

Is it possible that double pressing can Improve a grade? I sent a comic first time and got it pressed and got a 9.6, later I sent in again for another signature, got it pressed again and got a 9.8. Is it worth to press a comic as many times as possible?

I mean, depends on who pressed it. Sometimes, multiple presses are needed to remove certain defects. If you have such a defect, one press might not do it but perhaps a second or third would (like an indent or bend). If an amateur pressed it initially, maybe they did not completely fix the pressable defect, whereas the second time it was pressed it was done by someone more experienced who actually fixed the defect. 

There is also the belief that, really, some 9.6 books are really 9.8 books and vice versa. Remember these are humans grading books. Last I check, CGC had 20 some odd graders and were hiring more. You can't tell me that if you handed the book to every single one, they would all say 9.8. Chances are, one might say 9.6. It is something CGC can never fix because your idea of a 9.6 might differ from CGC might differ from what I think. CGC really has the final say in terms of value but I can tell you I have seen many 9.6 books (and the odd 9.4) that look just as good as any 9.8 book. 

But it will get to a point where, no matter how many times you press a book, the grade is the grade. You can try and see how often you can get a pressed book to receive a grade bump by pressing again and again but I doubt you will see the results you did here every time.

Edited by comicginger1789

It's always possible the second press addressed something the first didn't.

Truthfully though, grading Is subjective. It's people's opinions.  Sometimes things get missed or one grader is a little more lenient then another. 

It's not uncommon for the same book to receive different grades with multiple submissions. 

Is it worth to press a comic as many times as possible?

No. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is negligible. It is worth pressing when you get a book signed, because you want to make sure that any defects created by the signer are negated.

We are talking about different things here. Your question is linked to signing which is different since signing involves handling a comic and that makes it a separate matter since you should always press a book after a signing.

Now to answer the question in general, if a comic has been pressed once, is it worth sending it for another pressing?

Well the truth is that at that point, it's not really about the pressing. It being pressed twice probably didn't change the how the book was. What did change though by submitting it twice is who graded your book. There is very little different between a 9.6 and 9.8. So, there are times when you can simply resend a 9.6 book and it would get a 9.8 because that person judging it sees it as a 9.8. 

You wouldnt even need to press it again in that case. Several people just keep sending the same book for a 9.8 prescreen until it gets accepted. 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:30 AM, William-James88 said:

We are talking about different things here. Your question is linked to signing which is different since signing involves handling a comic and that makes it a separate matter since you should always press a book after a signing.

Now to answer the question in general, if a comic has been pressed once, is it worth sending it for another pressing?

Well the truth is that at that point, it's not really about the pressing. It being pressed twice probably didn't change the how the book was. What did change though by submitting it twice is who graded your book. There is very little different between a 9.6 and 9.8. So, there are times when you can simply resend a 9.6 book and it would get a 9.8 because that person judging it sees it as a 9.8. 

You wouldnt even need to press it again in that case. Several people just keep sending the same book for a 9.8 prescreen until it gets accepted. 

but it could also be about the pressing.  If the first press failed to address something, or the second presser does a better job, or the book  gained some pressable defect (through handling) between the first press and first grading.   Of course it could for sure just be about luck of the 1st grader(s).  Of course there is always the risk that your book was on the other border (9.4-9.6)

So as with most questions, the answer is:  It depends on your specific situation.  I would say that if you've pressed and graded twice and gotten the same grade, its probably not worth doing again.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is negligible. It is worth pressing when you get a book signed, because you want to make sure that any defects created by the signer are negated.

Agree. Every time I send in a book for in house signings, I always add pressing even if it's a previous 9.8. I've had good results from pressing and the extra $20 is negated by the bump in grade I usually get or peace of mind in keeping it a 9.8. 

Edited by rexinnih