• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian World War 2 Golden age comics AKA "Canadian Whites"
3 3

80 posts in this topic

Now that I'm looking at my own book more closely, can anyone tell me what is going on in that cover?   I don't know why the guy in the back of the inflatable boat has a strange face.   Maybe its explained inside; I haven't read it yet.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:53 AM, Bronty said:

Now that I'm looking at my own book more closely, can anyone tell me what is going on in that cover?   I don't know why the guy in the back of the inflatable boat has a strange face.   Maybe its explained inside; I haven't read it yet.

Looks like he was hit with that strafe run.

ah yes, thank you - the strafe explains the air coming out of the boat.... but what's up with his face?   Looks like a golden mask/beak thing.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:50 PM, sfcityduck said:

:gossip: Top of his head.

That's it.  thank you.   Hard to tell with the limited colors!

On 9/11/2021 at 5:12 PM, Yorick said:

Dingle's artwork is really growing on me.  I like these quite a bit!  I assume he was doing interior work as well?

Who is this female character on Dime 26?  And what year is it?

Dingle is awesome.   He did do some interiors.   He was also the art director for Bell features.   

Polka Dot Pirate.   Likely the back half of 1945.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, eccomic said:

Super Duper Comics featuring NELVANA!!

Super Duper 7.0.JPG

Somewhere on this site, I saw Super Duper 3 (May-June 1947) referred to as not only the first cover appearance of Mr. Monster but also the last appearance of Nelvana. While it’s true it has the first Mr. Monster cover appearance and the last Nelvana story, I'm not sure it was her last appearance on the cover of a GA Canadian white. I believe her last appearance was this:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9559f9ed1c156f42191a712b8791277.jpeg

I don't own many Canadian Whites, but I've been looking for a decent comic with Nelvana on the cover. Instead, I found this in very nice shape.  Your Canadian White collection is unrivaled, so I guess you've got this one but I haven't seen it posted. Can you let me know if I'm right on this being the last time Nelvana appeared in or on a GA Canadian comic?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, Yorick said:

Dingle's artwork is really growing on me.  I like these quite a bit!  I assume he was doing interior work as well?

If you like his interiors, and want to spare your pocket book, make sure you pick up the Nelvana of the Northern Lights book if you have not already (I realize its been years since you posted this). It came out first in a Kickstarter HC & Slipcase edition, followed by a mass market HC, and then a mass market softcover. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

Somewhere on this site, I saw Super Duper 3 (May-June 1947) referred to as not only the first cover appearance of Mr. Monster but also the last appearance of Nelvana. While it’s true it has the first Mr. Monster cover appearance and the last Nelvana story, I'm not sure it was her last appearance on the cover of a GA Canadian white. I believe her last appearance was this:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9559f9ed1c156f42191a712b8791277.jpeg

I don't own many Canadian Whites, but I've been looking for a decent comic with Nelvana on the cover. Instead, I found this in very nice shape.  Your Canadian White collection is unrivaled, so I guess you've got this one but I haven't seen it posted. Can you let me know if I'm right on this being the last time Nelvana appeared in or on a GA Canadian comic?

A few questions/comments:

1.  what book is that?

2.  I wouldn't call that an appearance, as its an ad, but I understand both perspectives on ads.

3.  Given that's an ad for Super Duper 3, wouldn't it pre-date Super Duper 3 and therefore not be the last appearance even if you do count ads?

Edited by Bronty

Also, regarding the Mr Monster appearance - its a full story appearance, not just a cover FWIW.

One of my favorite books from this era.   Great subject matter with the dark superhero and all the Bell cast of characters, beautiful yellow cover, etc.    

On 3/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, Bronty said:

3.  Given that's an ad for Super Duper 3, wouldn't it pre-date Super Duper 3 and therefore not be the last appearance even if you do count ads?

Hmm, on second thought it does say on sale NOW, so I guess it would post-date Super Duper 3!

On 3/4/2024 at 8:35 AM, Bronty said:

Hmm, on second thought it does say on sale NOW, so I guess it would post-date Super Duper 3!

Its not an ad for Super Duper 3.  It's an ad for the title which apparently was supposed to continue.  And, yes, it definitely post-dates Super Duper 3. It's just that no Super Duper 4 ever came out.

I do NOT view ads as the type of first appearances that Action 1 is, but ads can have historic value as the first time a character appeared in print. The folks trying to claim that an appearance in a house ad, company preview publication, or fanzine/newszine/CBG etc. is a "trust first appearance" rub me the wrong way. I'm not claiming that this book should have any greater value than Nelvana's last appearance in a story, but I am attempting to ascertain if it was the last printed appearance of Nelvana during the GA. I think it was, and as a back cover it is pretty neat. Is it worth something? To me it was the only reason to buy this book.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:07 PM, sfcityduck said:

Its not an ad for Super Duper 3.  It's an ad for the title which apparently was supposed to continue.  And, yes, it definitely post-dates Super Duper 3. It's just that no Super Duper 4 ever came out.

I do NOT view ads as the type of first appearances that Action 1 is, but ads can have historic value as the first time a character appeared in print. The folks trying to claim that an appearance in a house ad, company preview publication, or fanzine/newszine/CBG etc. is a "trust first appearance" rub me the wrong way. I'm not claiming that this book should have any greater value than Nelvana's last appearance in a story, but I am attempting to ascertain if it was the last printed appearance of Nelvana during the GA. I think it was, and as a back cover it is pretty neat. Is it worth something? To me it was the only reason to buy this book.

Sure.   So what book is it exactly?

On 3/4/2024 at 10:09 AM, Bronty said:

Sure.   So what book is it exactly?

C'mon, you should've figured this out. Here's the back cover progression:

Mystery Book #3 (April 1947):

BC1.thumb.webp.7085efdd8fb3a41e369e5f7c3a889c8a.webp

Super Duper 3 (May-June 1947):

BC2.thumb.webp.cf1433f5e48040b8e16437c40e7fa584.webp

Mystery Book 4 (Sept.-Oct. 1947):

DizzyDonBackcover.thumb.jpg.952b577599b74daf97cf4769948401b8.jpg

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...

On 3/4/2024 at 2:56 PM, eccomic said:

It is on the back cover of DIZZY DON Comics # 3 

thx Teach

On 3/4/2024 at 11:56 AM, eccomic said:

It is on the back cover of DIZZY DON Comics # 3 

No, back cover of Dizzy Don #4 (3# is the Super Duper 3 ad).

Is it Nelvana's last hurrah of the GA?

And who is the guy in the suit surrounded by women in that ad?

Edited by sfcityduck