• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 Best Villain performances by Actors in Comics, who you got?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Can't go wrong with your list.  But also Frank Gorshin as the first-ever Riddler onscreen in the classic live-action Batmam TV series in the mid-1960s, and then also the 1966 big-screen counterpart Batman: The Movie.   Gorshin was not only a character actor, but a darn good impressionist, and it showed.  No CGI, special effects, or other gimmicks, so I think he deserves some props for establishing the Riddler so well in pop culture.  

On 9/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, Pantodude said:

Can't go wrong with your list.  But also Frank Gorshin as the first-ever Riddler onscreen in the classic live-action Batmam TV series in the mid-1960s, and then also the 1966 big-screen counterpart Batman: The Movie.   Gorshin was not only a character actor, but a darn good impressionist, and it showed.  No CGI, special effects, or other gimmicks, so I think he deserves some props for establishing the Riddler so well in pop culture.  

That show was entertaining, as campy as it was.  I liked the whole cast.  Lee Meriweather played Catwoman in the movie, but otherwise, the cast was the same.  I actually enjoyed the chemistry of the villains.  They had good back and forth.  

Jim Carrey was okay as The Riddler, but that Bat saga lost it’s way.  And I wasn’t really a fan of much of it after the first one. I liked Gorshin more.  I can’t remember who’s playing the role coming up, but I suppose it’ll be the first time The Riddler will be the primary villain in any iteration.

...Paul Dano 

Edited by eschnit

On 9/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, Pantodude said:

Paul Dano.  

Yeah, thanks, had to look it up. I don’t know why, but only movie I think of with him is There Will be Blood.

Honorable Mention also goes to Ben Affleck in Batman vs Superman.  He was kind of a , even though he was right.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Chicago Boy said:

The Malachi Brothers when they tried to give Fonzie "the Malachi Crunch"  in a Demolition Derby

They were just doing their job. Pinky knew the risks. 

My choices- Frank Gorshin, Cesar Romero, Burgess Merideth, the beautiful Julie Newmar, Vincent Price - Egghead, Victor Buono- King Tut, Milton Berle- Louie the Lilac, Robin Lord Taylor - Penguin (Gotham), Cory M. Smith - Riddler- (Gotham), and a bunch of others tied for 10th, mostly from TV shows.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:44 PM, szav said:

Oh?  I actually liked him for this.  Had that sorta well polished charming hidden psychotic sociopath thing going and did it well.  He was more memorable in the movie to me than Liam Neeson who essentially seemed to be playing himself.

Yeah, maybe not fair to group him in with Schwarzenegger’s Mr. Freeze and Leto’s Joker.  Just felt uninspired.  I actually liked Batman Begins.  But the villains weren’t the reason why.  Liam is normally great imo, but not as much in that role.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, eschnit said:

If you’re referring to Hitler, I’m surprised that I don’t have a clue which movies you’re referring.  Bruno Ganz in Downfall comes to mind for a portrayal of that monster.

You're right about Bruno Ganz, he's listed among the 13 most well known portrayals, the top three performances rated by The Wrap being Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator), Alec Guinness (The Last Ten Days) and Anthony Hopkins (The Bunker).  

I knew mentioning Chaplin would be a dead give away, so I judiciously omitted him! ;) 

Interesting fact, Ian McKellen, who played Magneto is also on the list actors of well known Hitler portrayals (Countdown to War).  He probably deserves a special prize for his villain resume. 

:tink:

On 9/3/2021 at 11:43 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

You're right about Bruno Ganz, he's listed among the 13 most well known portrayals, the top three performances rated by The Wrap being Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator), Alec Guinness (The Last Ten Days) and Anthony Hopkins (The Bunker).  

I knew mentioning Chaplin would be a dead give away, so I judiciously omitted him! ;) 

Interesting fact, Ian McKellen, who played Magneto is also on the list actors of well known Hitler portrayals (Countdown to War).  He probably deserves a special prize for his villain resume. 

:tink:

Thanks for the insight.  I haven’t seen any of those three movies.  Guess I have some catching up to do.  Interesting casting, The Last Ten Days and The Bunker, I’d assume are about the same thing as Downfall, those last couple of weeks in April, 1945 before he offed  himself in the bunker and they surrendered to Russia and the US.  There’s a solid series that just came out on Netflix called The Defeated about a hypothetical aftermath immediately following the end of the war in Berlin.  I also like The Man in the High Castle.  Little different plot though.  The Great Dictator I’ve seen clips.

McKellen also played Gandalf.  He’s gay, and Magneto is not only complicated, but his origin has to do with the Holocaust/concentration camps at the end of the war when he was a young boy

Then Hopkins, Hannibal Lecter, also a complex character, and his origin was World War II in Russia, in the midst of Barbarossa as the Russians burnt down their homes and food stocks, because F the Nazi invaders.  You can’t have our land and dictate terms.  So we both die you pieces of mess.  It’s portrayed in Hannibal Rising, which Hopkins isn’t in.  But starving to death in brutal winter, watching man deprave himself, as some of them ate each other, Lecter was supposed to be a child as he watched that play out.

And Alec Guinness, Obi Wan, another larger than life character.  Downfall is exceptional in my opinion, I’d recommend it.  I’m sure those other portrayals are as well, I’ll have to catch up.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:23 PM, Professor K said:

Hey Bird how ya been? I can't find anything on Skookie Brothers. I googled, yahooed, and duck duck go'd. Nothing.

white men can't jump...they do not appear but they are after Rosie Perez and Wudy.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, alexgross.com said:

i rate brolin's thanos way higher than an honorable mention! he's top 3 for me. the seamless integration of the 3d computer effects with his genuine facial expressions, body acting and voice acting made it so easy to forget thats not actually his face. when SPOILER ALERT!!! he has to sacrifice the one he loves, his tears are absolutely genuine. he's sympathetic, psychopathic and freaking amazing. 

tom hardy's silly bane cannot hold a candle to this performance or this character. i put him right under the ledger and phoenix jokers, alongside gene hackman as luthor, and ian mckellan belongs there as well as maggy. 

(-i know this is in the GA section but you did say G and S mix here.) though perhaps thanos is bronze... still a better movie villain than most of the rest...

Josh Brolin did a great job and the MCU Thanos was an intriguing character in his own right...but he was not the Thanos I was hoping to see since AVG 1, imo (he sort of becomes that guy later on, but I would have liked to see an earlier incarnation with a more nihilistic portrayal).

Edited by Mystafo

On 9/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mystafo said:

D'onofrio's Wilson Fisk

Molina's Doc Ock

Thomas Hayden Church's Sandman 

Mark Strong's Sinestro (not really a villain in GL)

Tom Hiddleston's Loki

Nicholson's Joker

So I caught The Punisher on Netflix, and loved it, albeit, it wasn’t universally well thought of.  I started Daredevil, but stopped after a couple episodes, was just annoyed with the whole cancelling of certain shows because of Disney+ or whatever. I didn’t realize D’Onofrio played Kingpin.  He is an exceptional actor in my opinion.  He’s such a in Godfather of Harlem.  So good.  I see he’s coming back in Hawkeye.  Good at making the good guy with issues look like the good guy, because he’s such a punk.  Look forward to it.  He’s perfect for that role.  Makes sense for a Spidey movie at some point.