• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic grading - Guidance on what grading tier to use

4 posts in this topic

I just recently got into sending books into CGC and got my first batch of low value moderns as a test to see how the process worked.  Easy determine what tier I should use since the books are not particularly valuable but I like the books. Now the question I have involves sending in some of the more expensive books and what tier should be used when sending them. It looks like it is based off of the max value per book and me guessing what the grade would be before sending it in.

As an example - What tier should I use if I don't care about turn around times and strictly base it off of lowest cost to grade?

- Walking Dead 1 - (9.0+)

- Fantastic Four 48  (3.0-4.0)

- Daredevil 1 (3.0-5.0)

- Something is Killing the Children 1 (9.0+)

- Ultimate Fallout 4 (9.0+)

Thanks

ususal advice is to figure out replacement value for the books should something happen to them while CGC has them

You could try to find raw sales for books in comparable shape on eBay or try a site like comicpriceguide.com or the Overstreet guide

If you pick a tier that doesn't reflect the ultimate FMV, CGC may bump the book up to what they think is the proper tier

Good info on CGC may bump the book up a tier if they deem it appropriate but not really the answer I was looking for when making this thread.

Let me ask it this way....if you had these books and were going to send them in what tier would you use and why?

So how would my thoughts of the value of the book change anything as I am to believe that FMV (ebay or comic pricing website) is what would determine the correct tier? Wouldn't you just take the grade at which you think it is and search for FMW for that book and that would determine the books worth?

If I am wrong then I send something in as a Modern....I not only end up waiting 6-8 months as its the lowest tier (if I don't fast track it) and I end up paying more because they deem it to be in the incorrect tier. When if I choose lets say Standard I end up paying the correct amount and I get it back in maybe half the time.