• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is always the argument can Hulk or Thor beat Superman.... how about Doctor Strange vs Superman
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Superman would disable Strange before he could even fathom which spell to cast. It's not a close decision.

The fact that Superman is ostensibly weak against magic, but that there's a (probably accurate) belief that Superman would still win effectively instantly against one of the premier spellcasters in comics... is sort of iconic of the problems with the Superman character. Heck, I don't think there's any question about the outcome of Superman vs. the Absorbing Man (with a piece of kryptonite, and even assuming a version of Supes that isn't just kryptonite-immune) either.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Qalyar said:

The fact that Superman is ostensibly weak against magic, but that there's a (probably accurate) belief that Superman would still win effectively instantly against one of the premier spellcasters in comics... is sort of iconic of the problems with the Superman character. Heck, I don't think there's any question about the outcome of Superman vs. the Absorbing Man (with a piece of kryptonite, and even assuming a version of Supes that isn't just kryptonite-immune) either.

Superman isn't interesting because of what he can do. He's interesting because of what he chooses to do.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Superman isn't interesting because of what he can do. He's interesting because of what he chooses to do.

Oh, agreed, and that's what makes the best Superman stories legitimately interesting. But I don't think anyone would argue that all the Superman stories have been good...

On 9/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Qalyar said:

If Barry Allen replaced Dr Strange as master of the mystic arts, then it’s over for Superman. Otherwise not so much.

Stupidman should defeat pretty much everyone as he can travel faster than light you have to realize everyone compared to him is standing still.  It would be similar to if Dr Strange took one year to cast a spell you could dispose of him at your liesure.  However, stupidman is stupid, so dr strange would probably de-feet him.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:41 PM, apollobuzz said:

Supes only has his powers under a yellow sun, correct?  Battle somewhere under a red sun, and I think I can take him.  :slapfight:

Stupidman supposedly knows Klurkor, Kryptonian karate but it seems he went to a McDojo in kandor to learn it because he sucks at fighting.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, kav said:

Stupidman supposedly knows Klurkor, Kryptonian karate but it seems he went to a McDojo in kandor to learn it because he sucks at fighting.

That's what she said. 

I have never seen stupidman throw a single round kick.  maybe he got a klurkor course from a comic book ad or something.

Doctor Strange didn't beat Thanos because, per one of the directors or screenwriters, he would have beat Thanos every time but it wouldn't be in "the right way"- they said that a few months before LOKI at some Q&A and I thought that was intriguing. After Loki and the Variance, it became more clear and was elaborated on: Doctor Strange knows if he did anything to Thanos, he risked the variance coming to prune that timeline, therefore creating more issues. Unless I misunderstood this.

I think the problem with these hypothetical match ups is that most people assume that these two characters are AWARE they're going to fight, like they're participating in Mortal Combat or something. Does Superman *know* he's got to fight Doctor Strange? Okay, so maybe he breaks his fingers. Does Doctor Strange know..? Then he takes out Superman before Superman can do anything. It's context and circumstance.

Superman is endlessly devalued and misrepresented as a character. And why? Because comic professionals and DC themselves have a palpable discomfort in the character so they try to make him "edgy" and make him something he's not. This is a character created nearly a century ago for children. He is fantasy and escapism. As soon as people complain aspects of him aren't "realistic", you open up the can of worms because NONE of it is realistic.

I also feel the common fan complaints about Superman are lazy as Hell. He can't be hurt!!! And Wolverine can? He doesn't have any problems with fans whining that his imperious nature leads to boring stories. He's too corny/too moral/too old fashioned!!! See: Captain America MCU and how beloved that character is by fans due to his idealistic and moral nature.

Stop blaming Superman. Blame fans and pros who so desperately need to be seen as mature patrons of the ARTS and who worry about what NON fans of the medium think. All of these characters are ruined when the people in charge of them are ashamed to be in the industry.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, wisbyron said:

he risked the variance coming to prune that timeline,

Variance is kind of like a moderator. hm 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:24 AM, wisbyron said:

Doctor Strange didn't beat Thanos because, per one of the directors or screenwriters, he would have beat Thanos every time but it wouldn't be in "the right way"- they said that a few months before LOKI at some Q&A and I thought that was intriguing. After Loki and the Variance, it became more clear and was elaborated on: Doctor Strange knows if he did anything to Thanos, he risked the variance coming to prune that timeline, therefore creating more issues. Unless I misunderstood this.

Their elaboration comes from the fact that there was only 1 scenario in 14,000,605 that they defeat Thanos. This was their built-in excuse for any "why didn't they do this?" argument regarding Infinity War and Endgame.

Anything regarding Loki and the TVA is a retcon.