• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,157 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2024 at 2:04 PM, shadroch said:

That works for consignments, but these were books I sold them.  Books they were buying at $1 for VFs and instead became F- and bought for sixteen cents. I submitted some lots, which were also knocked quite hard but in an auction, people understand and bid accordingly.  One door closes, and another opens.

The cost of shipping books they're paying $1 for (with the risk they become 50 or 16 cents) seems prohibitive. I suppose a long box media mail isn't THAT much, but still, you need to get it through the media mail censors.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:56 AM, the blob said:

The cost of shipping books they're paying $1 for (with the risk they become 50 or 16 cents) seems prohibitive. I suppose a long box media mail isn't THAT much, but still, you need to get it through the media mail censors.

They used to give shipping rebates, which helped with the cost.  I usually ship a mixture of consignment and sale books.  

I had a   consigned CGC 9.0 of a book that MCS had for about a year.  It was hot for a moment, but now it isn't ( MSE 16).  I'd been lowering prices but not a nibble. Another CGC 9.0 was in their weekly auction and was going for almost nothing, so I bid on it, won, and reconsigned it.  I listed it, and after a few weeks, both were priced at $65.  With no interest, I dropped one to $50.   I got a notice the next day I'd sold a book, but somehow, it was the $65 copy, not the $50 one.  The cheaper book took two more weeks to sell.   I made a small profit on one, and  80% on the other.    After several slow months, May was a good month for my sales. I need to resupply my inventory with them as it has dwindled.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 4:40 PM, shadroch said:

I got a notice the next day I'd sold a book

You get a notice when a book sells? Not just when you receive an offer?

Edited by Ryan.

On 6/4/2024 at 4:41 PM, Ryan. said:
On 6/4/2024 at 4:40 PM, shadroch said:

I got a notice the next day I'd sold a book

You get a notice when a book sells? Not just when you receive an offer?

I don't think I get a notice when a book sells, but I do get one when a check is sent. Maybe it sold right before they send checks?

On 6/4/2024 at 8:52 PM, ttfitz said:

I don't think I get a notice when a book sells, but I do get one when a check is sent. Maybe it sold right before they send checks?

Maybe. I get a payment notification email on Wednesdays at, I think, 10am EST.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 5:52 PM, ttfitz said:

I thought I'd received an email stating that it had sold, but I must be mistaken.  I checked and didn't see any message from them about when the book was sold.  I get messages when I get an offer, but I don't see any from that week. Sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I was surprised the $65 CGC 9.0 sold the day after I lowered the price on the other one.  I'm down to one book consigned. I need to re-up.

Edited by shadroch

On 6/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, shadroch said:

I checked and didn't see any message from them about when the book was sold.  I get messages when I get an offer, but I don't see any from that week. 

I don't get any emails about consigned items except when the payment is issued. I need to manually check for any offers or sales. This last go-around (about a week ago), I didn't even get a notification that my items were ready to be listed. The only way I knew is because I check for offers/sales every day.

We send emails when:

• you get an offer, titled "You have a new offer: [item name]"
  • we issue a payment, titled "Consignment Payment Issued"
  • you have items ready for you to set prices on or put in auction, titled "Consignments ready for price or auction assignment"

We don't send emails for sales of individual books, just when the weekly payments are generated, which may list multiple books you sold in that period.

Sometimes when people say they're not getting emails from us, when we check their email address we see that at some point they had clicked our emails as spam. If you do that, on purpose or accidentally, our emails will stop reaching you. 

On 6/7/2024 at 11:17 AM, mycomicshop said:

We send emails when:

• you get an offer, titled "You have a new offer: [item name]"
  • we issue a payment, titled "Consignment Payment Issued"
  • you have items ready for you to set prices on or put in auction, titled "Consignments ready for price or auction assignment"

We don't send emails for sales of individual books, just when the weekly payments are generated, which may list multiple books you sold in that period.

Sometimes when people say they're not getting emails from us, when we check their email address we see that at some point they had clicked our emails as spam. If you do that, on purpose or accidentally, our emails will stop reaching you. 

When I sent in my first consignment I didn't receive any offers for the first couple weeks.  Then I noticed the 'Review offers I've received' link and when I clicked on it there were dozens of offers.  None of those offers generated a email to me including my spam folder.  I called mycomicshop and something was done from there end and I started getting offer emails.  Not sure what was wrong.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:55 PM, thehumantorch said:

When I sent in my first consignment I didn't receive any offers for the first couple weeks.  Then I noticed the 'Review offers I've received' link and when I clicked on it there were dozens of offers.  None of those offers generated a email to me including my spam folder.  I called mycomicshop and something was done from there end and I started getting offer emails.  Not sure what was wrong.

They turned off your automatic rejection of offers below 90% :baiting:

On 6/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

They turned off your automatic rejection of offers below 90% :baiting:

I had set automatic rejection at 70%.  When I still didn't get offers I dropped it and still didn't get offers.  That's when I spotted the link to 'review offers I've received'

Although I have yet to sell via MCS/LSC, I'll note that they are among a select group at the top of my list to purchase from via listed items and auctions. When I decide to sell, they are at the top of the list for me to consider. To sum up, my experience with MCS/LSC is, in a word, excellent.

On 6/13/2024 at 6:28 PM, Heronext said:

@mycomicshop,

Is it possible one day you may work out a special price with CGC to reholder all inventory with "defective inner well" notations?

(One of these is mine)

TIA

bloodstone.jpg

Geez. Look at the spread in asking price between the 2 9.8's - $350.00! I think I know which one's going to sell first.