• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, mycomicshop said:

Unfortunately, no. The only graders notes we record are any defects that are mentioned in the public item notes you can already view--and those notes are usually limited to things that are A) not readily apparent from the cover scan or B) especially problematic for some buyers even when acceptable within the assigned grade. Nobody is paying us $20+ to grade and slab their comic, so we aren't able to put as much detail into describing grade issues as CGC sometimes does.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've been assuming it's one or more of the inside pages anyway, as the front and back covers look good to me.

On 8/8/2023 at 10:15 AM, Ryan. said:

I've had various non-paying bidders on MCS. After the three weeks are up, the item goes back into my consignment list and I can either set a BIN price or assign it to the next available auction. It's not a perfect system but I have had instances where the item sells for a higher price the second time around.

And this 3-week grace period includes books that were “won” through a best offer acceptance?  Even if the best offer is made through e Bay?

I accepted an offer this weekend that hasn’t been paid for and I’m pretty sure it’s a bogus “win”. 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, Number 6 said:

And this 3-week grace period includes books that were “won” through a best offer acceptance?  Even if the best offer is made through e Bay?

I accepted an offer this weekend that hasn’t been paid for and I’m pretty sure it’s a bogus “win”. 

I assume the grace period defaults to the ebay standard, which is what, 3 days? I do wince a little when I see that one of my consignment sales was through ebay, considering their accepted culture of people not paying. 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:52 AM, Ryan. said:

I assume the grace period defaults to the ebay standard, which is what, 3 days? I do wince a little when I see that one of my consignment sales was through ebay, considering their accepted culture of people not paying. 

Thought I'd pass this along to folks here - if you get an offer that expires in 24 hours, that means it was made thru eBay, otherwise it's 48 hours.

I tell you this so I won't be the only one who is annoyed at getting a best offer from eBay with the knowledge that they could have bought the book from the MCS website and BOTH of us got "our price". :pullhair:

Edited by ttfitz
Grammar is hard!

On 1/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, Number 6 said:

I accepted an offer that was made thru eBay (see above message) on January 3, and the sale was cancelled on Jan 9 due to non-payment.

On 1/22/2024 at 11:40 AM, ttfitz said:

I accepted an offer that was made thru eBay (see above message) on January 3, and the sale was cancelled on Jan 9 due to non-payment.

Thanks, I guess one week is better than three.  Still really annoying as I know I'm being trolled by a low-baller and it's probably not going to stop once this non-payment plays out.

Prices overall seemed fairly strong in this last Prime auction. Other than a soft hammer price here and there on books I was tracking, hammer prices ranged from right on GPA target to well above. I had 3 books in the auction and was pleased overall with how things finished, with all 3 books finishing higher than the BIN prices I had them previously set at.

It does seem that the administrative side has slowed a bit, perhaps due to the rush of shipping items from the auction. A box of consignments I sent that arrived a week ago still don't show in their system as received, which is abnormal. Also, this week's auction was supposed to start last night but hasn't opened for bidding yet.

Edited by Ryan.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:36 PM, ttfitz said:

Thought I'd pass this along to folks here - if you get an offer that expires in 24 hours, that means it was made thru eBay, otherwise it's 48 hours.

I tell you this so I won't be the only one who is annoyed at getting a best offer from eBay with the knowledge that they could have bought the book from the MCS website and BOTH of us got "our price". :pullhair:

Yeah, unless there are ebay bucks to use, when i see it on ebay I tend to go to the mcs shop to see if the price is better. Ditto when I used to buy stuff from mile high. But I think most people do not realize this.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:43 PM, the blob said:

Yeah, unless there are ebay bucks to use, when i see it on ebay I tend to go to the mcs shop to see if the price is better. Ditto when I used to buy stuff from mile high. But I think most people do not realize this.

Yeah, their system bumps up the price on eBay in order to pay the fees and still get what you have it listed for on their site. I wish there was some way to let people know it's available for less on their own site, but that's probably against the eBay terms.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, mycomicshop said:

Hi,

We've replaced the images on your book. Here's the side by side of the before and after. We tweaked the brightness and contrast, and also found that one of our scanners was adding a little bit of a reddish/organish/pinkish color shift, which you can see in the image at left. We're taking that one out of commission and setting up a periodic imaging calibration test to make sure all our imaging stations are producing identical images. 

Thank you and I really appreciate that.  It looks a lot better but in the price box towards the spine it still looks like there is tanning that isn't on the actual book.  In my experience HA has the best scans in the business; I wonder why their competitors don't just copy what they are doing.  Even CGC's scans leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks so much for addressing my question and so quickly.

On 3/19/2024 at 5:39 PM, mycomicshop said:

Here's the full size image that is linked to from the listing on our website: https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_ii/originalimage/7421948.jpg 

And here's the close up of the price box from that image:

image.png.52f09dbc30b5435e1bb41fc99a3c641c.png

I see just a little bit of reddish/brownish tint to the left of the "25c" in the price box. A manager in our imaging department checked the book and says that image is an accurate reflection of what the book looks like in hand.

I agree that HA has fantastic images. They have very talented, very experienced in-house photography capability and it shows. We capture many more comic images than HA does, and at a lower average price point, so the context isn't identical, but we are working on moving our process closer to HA's. It ends up being a fine line between making the book look as good as possible without going so far that a buyer feels the book is misrepresented.

Instead of scanning, maybe hire an in house artist to paint an image each book? hm

On 3/19/2024 at 5:39 PM, mycomicshop said:

Here's the full size image that is linked to from the listing on our website: https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_ii/originalimage/7421948.jpg 

And here's the close up of the price box from that image:

image.png.52f09dbc30b5435e1bb41fc99a3c641c.png

I see just a little bit of reddish/brownish tint to the left of the "25c" in the price box. A manager in our imaging department checked the book and says that image is an accurate reflection of what the book looks like in hand.

I agree that HA has fantastic images. They have very talented, very experienced in-house photography capability and it shows. We capture many more comic images than HA does, and at a lower average price point, so the context isn't identical, but we are working on moving our process closer to HA's. It ends up being a fine line between making the book look as good as possible without going so far that a buyer feels the book is misrepresented.

I don't see that in my digital images nor in the scan of the book from when I bought it (below).

But, as I don't have it and you have already gone over & above the call, I'd say case closed! :smile:

tod25_Screenshot_20210525-130358.png

Edited by Heronext

On 3/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, Heronext said:

I don't see that in my digital images nor in the scan of the book from when I bought it (below).

But, as I don't have it and you have already gone over & above the call, I'd say case closed! :smile:

Excellent--thank you for bringing this to my attention and glad we could help!