• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What feedback would you leave?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I would let this one be.  As @comicginger1789 states, mistakes were made on both ends.  Best to move on in a more informed capacity.

Just for the record, and contrary to previous posts, when a seller makes a complete refund, the eBay fees are credited in full (except for the 30 cent transaction fee).  That's because the transaction most likely went through a credit card and the cc company will retain 30 cents.  So it's not really eBay keeping any part of a complete refund, unless you didn't use a credit card.  Then they are grabbing 30 cents.

And a big whatever on the 30 cents.  Considering money moved back and forth, 2 separate transactions, to only cost 30 cents is a miracle.  Even PayPal now will retain their entire 3% fee (plus 49 cents) if you do a refund, a recent change in policy.  EBay is actually outperforming them at this time in this specific area.

As a seller, if you do a partial refund, you don't get any fees reimbursed.

So it's likely that the seller doesn't know that that he is only out 30 cents in this situation.  Heck, he didn't even know that by offering 30 day refunds you were going to get all your money back anyway, plus shipping both ways paid by the seller

EBay rules can be complicated, and change frequently, so it's not uncommon for sellers to fail to understand what the best practices are.  It used to be simple.  Not so much now.

The right move for the seller was to make the refund immediately and to thank you for letting him know before he shipped it, preventing larger losses like double shipping costs, time packing, and possible damage to the item traveling back and forth.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, shadroch said:

It's been years since I've sold on ebay and I don't know why anyone puts up with such unfriendly policies. At what point is is no longer worth being squeezed for every penny and then kicked in the balls just because?

eBay is still the best venue for certain items.  I use other venues first these days but eBay is still useful.

However I made a plan in 2019 to be eBay free in two years.  In December that looks like it will be achieved.  

On 9/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, shadroch said:

I'm wondering if he is a member or a lurker here as I got an ebay message where he apologized for the tone of his message. He also explained eBays policy and I've got to say it is ridiculous.

Now reading this, since he apologized, I would let it be. Hopefully he was sincere and will take this experience into consideration when dealing with future situations.

And, yes, eBay's greed is quite ridiculous.

All it would take is 1 serious competitor for eBay to knock their nonsense off. I have sold less and less over the years because of how much more I will make in P2P transactions with only PayPal fees. I feel better with an individual profiting from a sale than a huge company. eBay does a good job of protecting its consumers, though. They're somewhat harsh on sellers, and they need to improve there IMO.