• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What If #11 Appreciation Thread.

22 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

It's classic JK circa 1978, which took some getting used to at the time, but now 40 years on I really like. The art stayed the same but tastes change! (shrug)

Most folks consider classic JK to be late 50's - late 60's, and I agree with them.  I am not a Kirby fan by any stretch of the imagination, but by the time he did this issue of What If?, he was well past his prime...and it shows!

On 9/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Wasn't it written by Kirby not Lee?

Omg even more epic thx!  And I like kirby's later work of this period it had a carefree energy.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, southern cross said:

I like the art.

Is that a mother box?

I havent read it in a while I think it was some contraption someone used to send the bullpen into the comic world or something.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, iggy said:

$5 where? Comixology?

ebay

On 9/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, southern cross said:

He needs to fight Dungeons and Dragons Trolls, he'd pwned then 👍

Yep.  Then all their base are belong to them.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:08 AM, kav said:

Ps when have the Torch's fireballs ever stopped anyone ever?

Screenshot 2021-09-09 5.07.51 PM.png

On 9/10/2021 at 6:14 AM, southern cross said:

He needs to fight Dungeons and Dragons Trolls, he'd pwned then 👍

Yup. It would need to be a Frost Troll.

In D and D, or Elder Scrolls or any such RPG, you use the opposite elemental magic attack, fire attack vs frost character.

The monster’s clearly a Fire Troll, so the Torch will get nowhere. He’s also lucky it isn’t one from Dark Souls, otherwise in one hit the team would become the Fantastic Three. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:48 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

It's classic JK circa 1978, which took some getting used to at the time, but now 40 years on I really like. The art stayed the same but tastes change! (shrug)

I’ve grown to really like Kirby’s later Bronze Age work.  There’s something very entertaining about his unrestrained, over-the-top storylines and dialogue back at Marvel. No subtlety whatsoever.

Edited by Ken Aldred