• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics 1
3 3

103 posts in this topic

I think a 9.8 of either book COULD beat the AF 15 3.6M.  But I’m not sure they would.  Before the AF sold, when 2.2M was a big number, what would we think they’d go for? 1.5? 2.2?  So does the Spidey sale double those prices?  I think they go to 2M to 3M because 9.8s will always be the highest graded rank. But don’t see them going to 4M or higher.  To me the value rankings today are in the same general order relative to each other as before the AF15 sale, but at higher prices with 9.6 AF 15s solidly in the top ten now. ( listed in top ten ranks, not top ten copies cause they’d take up half of them!)

I agree the other 9.6s aren’t necessarily going to sell for 3.6 tomorrow.  But, wouldn’t sell for less than 2.8 to 3M and will all eclipses the 3.6 in time.

The elephant-like question in the room is whether the highest-graded AF15s have made up ground on the former heavyweights like AC1 and Tec27 (and MC1) while they remained relative static valuation-wise.   It’s been 10 years since the last 9.6 AF sold for $1.1M?   And in that time, there’s been either a Spidey stand-alone film or an MCU film with him being a major character, all alongside Venom-related buzz.  And he’s expected to continue being a big part of the MCU (and likely any Venom developments). Spidey must be the most valuable franchise by now, no?   Even w/o the MCU, there will still be a Spidey movie every 2-3 years.   

All I’m saying is that all of the above is Spidey-specific, which suggests that AF15’s appreciation nowadays need NOT suggest automatic and/or comparable bumps for AC1, MC1, Tec27, etc.  Maybe those books’ values remain as expected a year ago and the 3.6M for AF15 in 9.6 was all Spidey just catching up to the other bigs to reflect his sizzling popularity the past decade, now, and presumably in the near future decades at least.  In other words, the relative rankings might have changed or at least narrowed significantly the past decade vis-a-vis Spidey b/c he is distinctly not in the same fraternity as the GA greats.    (shrug)  Or maybe nothing makes cents anymore.  

Edited by Pantodude

There’s only 20 years separating Golden Age (Action 1, Tec 27) and AF 15.  They used to mean old versus new comics eras, decades apart, but are more and more contemporaneous events now. 60 years old vs 80 years old. However as we know by the 60s collectors we’re saving their comics and buying multiples, so they are less scarce.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, rob_react said:

I need to wrap my head around this question- If the Church Marvel Comics #1 (call it a 9.8) or Allentown Captain America #1 (9.8, upgraded from 9.6) came up for sale today where would they rank against the Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 that just sold?

Against one of the other three 9.6s, if one were to come up for sale?

My brain hurts. 

By the time the Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 come up for sale, there will probably be 10+ 9.6 AF 15s.  

Would you trade a Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 for one of the four (so far) 9.6 AF 15s?  

On 9/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Aman619 said:

There’s only 20 years separating Golden Age (Action 1, Tec 27) and AF 15.  They used to mean old versus new comics eras, decades apart, but are more and more contemporaneous events now. 60 years old vs 80 years old. However as we know by the 60s collectors we’re saving their comics and buying multiples, so they are less scarce.

I new someone when i was 15 (1978)that had Lots of Fantasy 15's in Mint for 750 each. The pages would stick to each other and the cover was like HD glossy today. I have had some high grade copy's that where glossy now after 40 years the covers even the 9.6 lost that gloss :preach:

On 9/14/2021 at 7:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

By the time the Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 come up for sale, there will probably be 10+ 9.6 AF 15s.  

Would you trade a Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 for one of the four (so far) 9.6 AF 15s?  

thats a great question.  One's answer depends on a lot of things, like, why do you want either comic? cause its your favorite issue? your favorite character? greater historical importance? or just plain will turn out to be the better investment down the road.  I would go with the value question, and take the AF15 due to Spideys popularity going forward over the scarcity of the other 2 books.  Cap 1 could give it a run, as a 9.8 vs 4 or more 9.6s.  Then again a 9.8 AF15 would be my choice over the Cap 1 9.8   I dont think the Marvel 1 has a chance anymore to compete for top spot even in 9.8.. But I expect im kinda outnumbered in in the GA section.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Aman619 said:

There's actually 20+ years separating AF 15 from Action 1 (23 years) and D27 (22 years), plus WWII and its attendant paper drives, and the beginning of comic fandom (with untold guys saving new comics and buying up and saving their neighbors comics from before AF 15 onward).  AF 15 is a post comic collecting book.  Lots of collectors still alive today bought it when it came out or shortly thereafter in the 1960s.  There are 24 copies (and counting) in 9.0 or better of AF 15, with only three MC 1s,  two Action 1s, and  one D27.  

Edited by sfcityduck

I would, but I'm at the way back of the line when it comes to collecting Spider-Man. If I had one of the AF 15s I'd be selling it yesterday.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, rob_react said:

I would, but I'm at the way back of the line when it comes to collecting Spider-Man. If I had one of the AF 15s I'd be selling it yesterday.

You would trade the Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 for an AF 15 9.6 and then you would immediately sell the AF 15?  Am I reading you right?

I'm hoping not.  If that's the emotional investment in owning those books, sounds far more like trading little green rectangles for larger multicolored rectangles representing ownership of a fictional person might be more satisfying.  

I say that knowing you are emotionally invested in the hobby because I've read and enjoyed your site for many years.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/14/2021 at 7:28 PM, sfcityduck said:

There's actually 20+ years separating AF 15 from Action 1 (23 years) and D27 (22 years),

um, give me a break, I can do the math too.  saying 20 years for me is like saying its 8:15 when the clock says 8:18.  ok?   I didnt think the extra fw years matters to the point I was making,,, AND, fully expected someone to correct me.. GOTCHA!

There's actually 20+ years separating AF 15 from Action 1 (23 years) and D27 (22 years), plus WWII and its attendant paper drives, and the beginning of comic fandom (with untold guys saving new comics and buying up and saving their neighbors comics from before AF 15 onward).  AF 15 is a post comic collecting book.  Lots of collectors still alive today bought it when it came out or shortly thereafter in the 1960s.  There are 24 copies (and counting) in 9.0 or better of AF 15, with only three MC 1s,  two Action 1s, and  one D27.  

we are seeing in other collectible fields that MORE copies at the top increases interest and sales!  I think while no one wanted there to be 4 copies, when they are all back in circulation it will propel prices higher than waiting a decade (or a lifetime!) for the owners to part with their copies leaving us with no sales data to make these exercises easier! 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, Aman619 said:

we are seeing in other collectible fields that MORE copies at the top increases interest and sales!  I think while no one wanted there to be 4 copies, when they are all back in circulation it will propel prices higher than waiting a decade (or a lifetime!) for the owners to part with their copies leaving us with no sales data to make these exercises easier! 

Yep.  It's called laddering.  It's not necessarily a good thing, but it is a real thing.  Until it's not.

You've been incorrect on your AF15 predictions so far, and there is no reason to think otherwise now. I think the fact that there are four copies in 9.6 is what kept the price as low as it was.

It doesn't matter if you or I would trade the MH Marvel 1 or Allentown Cap1 for one as neither or us is in (or will be in) the position to do so. There are lots of evaluations I found (and find) wacky, but onward and upward they go. Everyone freaked out when FF #52 hit $90K, but now that is a $250K book even though there are now additional 9.8s on the census. Nothing SA Marvels do surprises me anymore, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if the highest graded copies of the first appearance of the most collected character continue to be higher priced than anything else the company produced.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

You would trade the Mile High MC 1 or Allentown CA 1 for an AF 15 9.6 and then you would immediately sell the AF 15?  Am I reading you right?

I'm hoping not.  If that's the emotional investment in owning those books, sounds far more like trading little green rectangles for larger multicolored rectangles representing ownership of a fictional person might be more satisfying.  

I say that knowing you are emotionally invested in the hobby because I've read and enjoyed your site for many years.

I read your question wrong. I answered "yes" when I should have said "no"

I WOULD NOT trade one of those two books for an Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6.

Also, I added that if I had an Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 I would have been the one selling it. As I mentioned, I don't like Spider-Man enough to keep a book like that (or any Amazing Fantasy 15, to be honest.)  

But that's me and I am not a huge Spider-Man fan. 

There are 24 copies (and counting) in 9.0 or better of AF 15, with only three MC 1s,  two Action 1s, and  one D27.  

You are placing supply as a significantly higher catalyst than demand. I'm not certain the comic market works that way.... there are just too many examples that don't support that. What if a 10.0 copy of Hulk 181 hits the pavement. As for AF 15, who's to say that 24,000 people may have the means and desire to pursue high grade(or will...) compared to only 24 in regards to DC 27 or AC 1 ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

The hobby is absolutely changing, and it's hard to wrap my mind around new prices.  I'm still stuck in the jaw dropping days of the early 2010's OSPG ads with heritage and comicconnect bragging about breaking a million on their various books.  I think this sale of a Marvel 1 was incredibly strong, even amongst all the strong sales we're seeing lately.  A year ago if asked to create a sort of "tier list" for the biggest books in the hobby, I would have ranked Action 1 and Tec 27 at the top, Superman 1 and Batman 1 right below it, and then Marvel Mystery 1 all by itself, and then some of the early Tecs and Actions along with Cap 1.  After this sale I think MM 1 has shown that it is above Superman 1 and Batman 1.  I mean that beautiful universal 2.0 Batman wasn't that much higher than this Marvel Mystery.  Maybe we're seeing the market start to open up to restored mega keys in a way it hasn't up to this point (ie accepting the book for the resto and not necessarily treating the resto as it has to be removed).

Why is everyone using the restored 1.8 sale to immediately move Marvel #1 ahead of Batman #1 (possibly, but probably not) and Superman #1 (definitely not)?

Not a single person has mentioned the equally valid coverless sale from last week that was at a price point below the last coverless Bat 1 from earlier this year and not even half the price of the last coverless Superman #1 from a year ago.  Doesn't fit the narrative so no need to mention it?