• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Of My Vintage Comics Have A Colored Rectangle At Top Of Page

8 posts in this topic

This colored rectangle appears in several of my vintage comics at the very top of the interior  pages, this mark may be intense in color but may, on the next page, appear faded. It will appear on several of the interior  pages. The rectangle also may be larger or smaller but always appears at the very top of the page. This one is a GI Joe A Great American Hero comic from the 80's. If viewed from the top of the comic, (last photo) thats what it looks like from the top. I also have a Superman comic , the Death of Superman from the early 90's that also bears this rectangular mark at the top of some of  the interior pages.  In every other way the comics appear pristine. The front nor the back cover is affected. What is this mark and will it cause a lower grading? If grading would be affected is there any way to remove this mark without it being considered a restoration? Susanne 

IMG_E3818[1].JPG

IMG_3819[1].JPG

IMG_3829[1].JPG

This is a totally normal artifact of the printing process and does not impact the grade one bit.  Attempting to remove it, however, would downgrade the comic.

I am not 100% certain, but I always assumed that these marks are used in the printing process to ensure that the color plates are properly aligned.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, SOTIcollector said:

This is a totally normal artifact of the printing process and does not impact the grade one bit.  Attempting to remove it, however, would downgrade the comic.

It's not an artifact. It's meant to be part of the finished product.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, SOTIcollector said:

I am not 100% certain, but I always assumed that these marks are used in the printing process to ensure that the color plates are properly aligned.

No, they're date (week) marks that were added to comics in the late 70s so distributors would no longer have to spray/paint the comics themselves.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, Lazyboy said:

It's not an artifact. It's meant to be part of the finished product.

No, they're date (week) marks that were added to comics in the late 70s so distributors would no longer have to spray/paint the comics themselves.

Cool!  I knew they belonged there, but I didn't know why.  Thanks for enlightening me!